• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: Doctor Who

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phoebe Waller-Bridge (as well as a business she works with) has publicly denied, at least 2 or 3 times now, any/all Doctor Who involvement.

Good news. We are now within 24 hours from finding out who will be the Thirteenth Doctor, which the BBC will announce after the men's final at Wimbledon between Marin Ĉilić and Roger Federer (Guessing game on next Doctor Who http://nerdist.com/doctor-who-13th-doctor-sunday-regeneration/). It is time to place all your bets on who will be the thirteenth doctor. I am tipping either Richard Ayoade (if the thirteenth doctor is a male) or Hayley Atwell (if the thirteenth doctor is a woman).

Last edited:
If I had to place a bet on one person, it would be Kris Marshall.

I would've liked Haley Atwell, but she said that she would not be the Doctor and recently said she was not even interested--so the chances are very low on her. As for Ayoade, I highly doubt him as well. He's been on fan-pick lists since David Tennant was leaving the show, iirc. Plus, I just can't see him as a Doctor at all.

Phoebe Waller-Bridge currently holds the number one spot in the "official" odds, but she's denied it multiple times. However, it could be a bluff.

I assume they'll show this on BBC America after Wimbledon? Even though I didn't think BBC America was showing Wimbledon.

Phoebe Waller-Bridge currently holds the number one spot in the "official" odds, but she's denied it multiple times. However, it could be a bluff.

There are a few favourites such as Kris Marshall and Phoebe Waller-Bridge, but I don't think people were tipping Peter Capaldi to be the Twelfth Doctor until just days before it was announced. So in addition to the favourites, we need to look at the outsiders as it could be one of them. It could be the one you least suspect. Here are the betting odds for the favourites (some of whom I have never heard of such as Tom Rosenthal):

Jodie Whittaker 5/4
Kris Marshall 2
Phoebe Waller-Bridge 4
Tom Rosenthal 8
Vicky McClure 10

I agree with you in which Phoebe Waller-Bridge may be playing bluff with the people by denying that she is playing the Thirteenth Doctor though. But I also think Hayley Atwell and several actors or actresses whose name has been thrown around are also playing bluff.I think the actor (or actress) who will play the Thirteenth Doctor knows that they are playing the Doctor, but are keeping mum until the official announcement.

Last edited:
I agree with you in which Phoebe Waller-Bridge may be playing bluff with the people by denying that she is playing the Thirteenth Doctor though.

Yeah, and honestly this goes for everybody who has been asked. Like, no matter what people ask them or how many times, they have to say no! They'd have to lie/bluff so they don't ruin the reveal haha :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, and honestly this goes for everybody who has been asked. Like, no matter what people ask them or how many times, they have to say no! They'd have to lie/bluff so they don't ruin the reveal haha :ROFLMAO:

I have to agree with you there, but I think it is really hard to keep a secret like this. But I have a feeling that the actor or actress who will be playing the Thirteenth Doctor may be saying that they are not interested in playing the Doctor is the one who is playing the biggest game of bluff. I am still thinking that it could be someone no one is thinking of.

And we are now just hours away from the big reveal.

I have to agree with you there, but I think it is really hard to keep a secret like this. But I have a feeling that the actor or actress who will be playing the Thirteenth Doctor may be saying that they are not interested in playing the Doctor is the one who is playing the biggest game of bluff. I am still thinking that it could be someone no one is thinking of.

Could be. I wouldn't mind if it were somebody I've never even heard of. Someone who doesn't hold a single spot on anybody's bets or odds.

Though, considering that Chris Chibnall, the new show runner, is also the head writer/show runner of Broadchurch (an amazing series), I think it's likely that somebody from the Broadchurch cast will get the role.

Could be. I wouldn't mind if it were somebody I've never even heard of. Someone who doesn't hold a single spot on anybody's bets or odds.

Though, considering that Chris Chibnall, the new show runner, is also the head writer/show runner of Broadchurch (an amazing series), I think it's likely that somebody from the Broadchurch cast will get the role.

It could be. Some actors who played the Doctor in the past has been relatively unknown before playing the Doctor (I think Tom Baker fits into this category), while others have been relatively well-known (such as Peter Davison who was in All Creatures Great and Small before being cast as the Fifth Doctor in 1981, and until Matt Smith was cast, Davison had the record of being the youngest doctor). It could be someone from Broadchurch as you said the new head writer/showrunner of Doctor Who Chris Chibnall is also the head writer/showrunner of Broadchurch, and Olivia Colman is in Broadchurch, so there is a possibility that it could be her.

I'm thinking Chris chibnall but with the BBC so adamantly denying they'd cash a woman and capaldi's line about it in the doctor falls in really starting to think it could be a woman announced.

Hi, and welcome to the discussion. I am hinting towards a female doctor (if it is a female, then I am tipping Hayley Atwell to be the Thirteenth Doctor), but due to Chris Chibnall's involvement in Broadchurch, it could be Olivia Colman. We are just a few hours away from the announcement.

EDIT: Former Broadchurch actress Jodie Whittaker has been named as the Thirteenth Doctor (Jodie Whittaker named as 13th Doctor Who). So DoctorWhy was right in which someone from Broadchurch (a series in which Chris Chibnall is the show runner) got the role of the Thirteenth Doctor.

Last edited:
This really shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody, IMO. They've been hinting at it and testing the waters since Matt Smith Regenerated from David Tennant. (His famous "I'm a girl!" line when he was feeling his hair.)
Obviously, Missy was an experiment to see how the fanbase would react to a traditionally male character becoming female. In the series 9 finale, the general Regenerated from a male to a female.
Most recently, in the series 10 finale, John Simm's Master asked if the future was going to be all girl, to which Capaldi's Doctor said: "we can only hope," or something to that effect.

Not that it matters in the slightest to me, there has yet to be a New Who Doctor that I dislike, and I don't think this will be the exception.

I'm super happy about their choice. Jodie Whittaker is a phenomenal actress. I believe she'll be a great Doctor.

I have done some research and Joanna Lumley was the first actress to play the Doctor in the Comic Relief special "Doctor Who: The Curse of Fatal Death" back in 1999. Jodie Whittaker is the first actress to play the Doctor within the canon of the series (Doctor Who: The Curse of Fatal Death - Wikipedia).

In other Doctor Who news, Deborah Watling, who play the Second Doctor companion Victoria Waterfield, has died after a short battle with cancer at the age of 69 (Vale: Deborah Watling). I have just posted this in the In Memoriam thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom