• NMLewis takes on a Tough challenge. Can he win a Normal Rank Contest? Watch here to find out!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!
  • Hello all! The staff is planning a restructuring to the forums on April 11th. Please see this announcemnt thread for details.

Does anybody really use the X-stat items?

Do you use the X-stat items?

• Yes.

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Of course not, they're stupid.

Votes: 35 92.1%

• Total voters
Reaction score
For items that have been around since gen. I, those items never really stood out to me. In a game where every turn counts, I don't find raising one stat by one stage to be very useful (unless you are in the early stages of the game, where said items aren't very plentiful from what I recall). I just find that turn better spent on using a move or healing my Pokemon, not raising a stat with an X-item. Plus, as others have mentioned, boosting moves like Swords Dance and Dragon Dance exist, which do the same thing but yield more favorable results. Yeah, the X-items could potentially have their use, but I just forget that they even exist in the first place. So, short answer; no, I don't use them.

Monoceros
Reaction score
To my knowledge I've never used any of them. At most, they stay in my bag until I decide it's time I need some cash and sell them off.

The Possibly Fake
Reaction score
The only I did was when we had the Wonder Launcher feature and even then, that was only for the crazy ones (like the +5 and +6s).

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
Simply put, no. I've never used them, not even in Gen 1, as it wastes a turn. Using moves like Swords Dance, Iron Defense, etc, are generally better, even though items get priority. But no, I never use them. I always sell them. Hey, extra spending cash is more important than an item that's pretty useless.

Reaction score
X-items have only come in handy for me once: I was fighting Falkner with only a Bayleef (for some reason) and he used sand-attack. I happened to have an x-accuracy in my bag, so I used it because lowered accuracy is annoying and that was the only way for me to raise it. But other than that, I just sell the x-items for extra money.

Reaction score
They're very situational, but they do come in handy sometimes, so I'd rather keep them in my bag than sell them. Especially since money is never really a problem in Pokemon games. I've been working on completing the Y Pokedex recently, starting from Bulbasaur and going to Zygarde, and when I got to Mewtwo in the Pokemon Village, he definitely gave me a hard time. I had my Haxorus out front since he had Swords Dance/False Swipe to deal with Mewtwo's pesky Recover and Barrier attacks. It was a bit of a time crunch because I essentially had to set up the three Swords Dances before Mewtwo started spamming Barrier and prevented me from doing any real damage. Moreover, I had to ensure that Haxorus didn't faint because then I'd lose the Swords Dance boosts and have to start over while Mewtwo is still at +6 Defense. I found that Haxorus would faint after two Psychic attacks, meaning it was a constant cycle of Swords Dance-->Mewtwo uses Psychic-->Full Restore-->Hope that Mewtwo doesn't use Psychic again-->Mewtwo uses Psychic-->Full Restore and so on. So after my second soft reset, I decided to use two X Special Defenses on Haxorus, which gave him enough bulk to take three or four Psychic attacks. With that, I could spend less time using Full Restores and more time using Swords Dance/False Swipe and throwing Luxury balls.

In that one moment, the X Sp. Def meant far more to me than the 500 Pokedollars or however much you'd get from selling it. It was very situational, but I really appreciated having it in my Bag.

Glorious Goo
Reaction score
Highly situational but I'd rather not get caught unprepared. I keep at least 12 of each around just in case. They're cheap and I have spare change. I've yet to encounter a time I need them but when that time comes I'll be ready.

Pi-rygon
Reaction score
The only time I used one was in Pearl, when Fantina's drifblim kept on spamming minimize, so I used an x auraccy (Which I believe wouldn't do anything in that situation.) But hey, I actually hit the drifblim the next turn.

Ey b0ss
Reaction score
I sell them as that's their only use. They're bloody pointless! A waste of money if your Pokemon switches out or faints. Because of how crap x items are it's likely that's half the reason they added o-powers.

Akira is an okay movie.
Reaction score
Highly situational but I'd rather not get caught unprepared. I keep at least 12 of each around just in case. They're cheap and I have spare change. I've yet to encounter a time I need them but when that time comes I'll be ready.
Oh my Arceus 12 of each? Isn't that a bit excessive? If you have them for emergency purposes, then I would understand 5 of each maybe, but I guess if you really want 12, nobody's stopping you.

And now, looking through these posts, I realized that I have, in fact, used the X-accuracy 2 or 3 times.

Team Moon
Reaction score
I don't use them at all. They make for a nice chunk of change, though.

Glorious Goo
Reaction score
Oh my Arceus 12 of each? Isn't that a bit excessive? If you have them for emergency purposes, then I would understand 5 of each maybe, but I guess if you really want 12, nobody's stopping you.

And now, looking through these posts, I realized that I have, in fact, used the X-accuracy 2 or 3 times.
Not really, a wise beret wearing walrus once said "If it's worth doing it's worth overdoing". If I for instance encounter a shiny or a legendary that fights back harder than I expect I can max out my defenses twice if something goes wrong to buy time to throw balls at it if the catch rate is low enough. If what I currently have can't deal enough damage I can boost up to speed things up a bit. X-Accuracy was also key in beating those triple battles in the Mauville food court. I use Kyogre's origin pulse with the other 2 using X-Accurracy and X-Special to guarantee a hit and ko for all.

Administrator
Reaction score
I think that I might have used them once in one of my first games, like Silver or maybe one of the first generation games, just to try them out and I was pretty new to Pokemon back then, but I thought that they were more of a waste of a turn than anything else. Nowadays, I just sell them for a bit of extra cash. There are better stat changing moves to use and the O-Powers can be more useful than the X-items.

Pull in all the Magikarps!
Reaction score
Back when I used to battle with the Wonder Launcher in Gen. V, I would sometimes use a powerful X-Attack 3 or something late-game in order to sneak a win. Beyond that, I haven't really done much with these items. They usually just sit in my bag, unused. I don't even sell them. :p

Unregistered User
Reaction score
I think I used one once... but no I don't use them I just sell them

I did use like x attack + 6 in launcher battles.

Last edited:
I want to rp!
Reaction score
I don't use them. They should be made into berries instead, that will active when your HP is 1/3 or something.

Reaction score
I sold them for Pokedollars as a kid, and I still sell them for Pokedollars today. Never really saw the utility when a move that boosts stats accomplishes the same function.