• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Does anybody share the same first name with a major character from a Pokemon game?

JFrombaugh

Reaction score
...And if so, do you find that it causes you to like that particular character a lot more?

My own first name, Joseph, has not been used for a major Pokémon character yet...unless you count Joe, a Colosseum Leader from Pokémon Battle Revolution (I go by Joseph though, so I personally don't count it).

One of my Dad's friends at work has a daughter named Lily who really likes the character Lillie, although I'm not sure whether she meant the Lillie from SM/USUM or her anime version (she's only 7 or 8 and I've only met her a couple times out in public, so I don't know if she owns a 3DS or not).

I myself have known several people who share names with major Pokémon characters, like Cynthia, Karen, Valerie, and Will...but they're all adults and not really into the Pokémon games.

I don't share a name with any major character, and I doubt I ever will because it doesn't fit any kind of type theme, nor is it related to a flower (which they've been using a lot as of late). I think there was one route in HG/SS, I don't remember which one, where there's a psychic with my name, and shortly after a hiker with my brother's name. He hated that, I always made fun of him for it XD

Aside from name, I think it's also interesting to note that some people might feel a strong connection with someone that they physically resemble. For instance, my brother has always liked water Pokemon, and then in gen 6 when he saw Siebold the water E4 trainer, he was like "that's me." And while it may seem weird, that guy's hair does actually seem like a good artistic representation of my brother's hair, and then they have the same skin tone and build. I assume most people wouldn't find this, since major characters tend to have more... Outlandish features, so be unique and stick out, but I think that would be interesting to hear as well, if anyone resembles a character and how that affects their feelings towards them.

EDIT: I was wrong, the hiker and psychic aren't next to each other, I just looked. Also, there are plenty of other trainers with the same names in different variations/spellings. We have rather basic names, so they get used for scrub trainers :/

Last edited:
I resemble the female trainer from Sun and Moon! Well, my hair is dark brown but the hairstyle is extremely accurate to how my hair would look when drawn in the Pokemon art style. Playing through Moon and Ultra Moon with that hairstyle (dyed brown) really made me feel like the character was me rather than my made-up character Alice, who I use for every single game since Sapphire. I seriously had to change the hairstyle in UltraMoon at some point to make me stop feeling like it's me because I just wanted to headcanon Alice's story instead. :ROFLMAO: This does make me feel a certain attachment to the Selene (apparently that's her official name?), even if I prefer her USUM design.

There's a Lass on Kanto's Route 8 that shares my name. I personally don't like my name very much so I don't care if another character has it. I looked it up only because I was certain my name has been used for random NPCs before since it's a pretty common one.

My first name is very uncommon, so it's hardly ever used as an NPC, let alone a major character. I remember seeing it as an NPC in the Battle Frontier in HGSS and that was the first time I had ever seen my name being used in the games.

Nope. As far as I’m aware, the only video game franchise that has a character with my name is Sonic the Hedgehog (no, it’s not Sonic... or Tails... or Knuckles...).

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom