• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Does anyone else associate some Pokémon with certain moves?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
in rse every time I see pelipper I think of protect, same with meditite and detect... it's pretty much impossible to separate them for me, with how often they used those moves against me when I replayed the hoenn games as a kid @_@ anyone else have these types of Pokémon/move connections?

Onix and Bide, everyone can probably guess why. Fearow and Drill Peck is a well-entrenched pair in my head. Charizard and Seismic Toss thanks to the anime. Geodue and Magnitude from all the times I'd catch a Geodude early on in GSC and hope for a good hit. Absol and Swords Dance, because the first time I saw a wild Absol was also the first time I saw Swords Dance used (or maybe it was just the first time I really noticed it, since my attention was already grabbed by Absol lol). Ampharos and Signal Beam. There's probably a lot of these but they're so scattered around that it's hard for me to think of them off the top of my head.

There are at least a couple of cases where I immediately associate a Pokémon and a move because the Pokémon doesn't learn it even though it obviously should. Aurorus and Aurora Veil, Zamazenta and Body Press/King's Shield... GF please fix

I do have a number of associations:
Zubat--Supersonic
Pikachu--Thunderbolt
Meowth--Fury Swipes
Meditite--Detect (I have memories of Detect spam from them somewhere)
Alakazam--Recover
Staraptor--Close Combat
Swellow--Brave Bird (not even an option until later but it fits the prevo dex entries so well)

Most of these are thanks to the anime, others because of particular game events and others because they fit so well they might be signature moves:
  • HydroPump for Blastoise
  • Psybeam for Butterfree.
  • Drill Peak for Fearow.
  • Iron Tail and Electro Ball for Pikachu.
  • Moonblast for Clefable.
  • Will-o-wisp for Ninetales.
  • Leech Life and Supersonic for Zubat.
  • Acid for Oddish.
  • Mega Punch for Hitmonchan.
  • Last Resort for Eevee.
  • Body Slam for Snorlax.
  • Teleport for Mew.
  • Petal Dance for Meganium.
  • Confusion for Noctowl.
  • Comet Punch for Ledian.
  • Future Sight for Xatu.
  • Bounce for Politoed.
  • Spikes for Forretress.
  • Play Rough for Granbull.
  • Recover for Corsola.
  • Rollout for Phanpy.
  • Muddy Water for Marshtomp.
  • Astonish for Lotad.
  • Boomburst for Exploud and Noivern.
  • Iron Head for Aggron.
  • Helping Hand for Plusle & Minun.
  • Water Sprout for Wailord.
  • Smokescreen for Torkoal.
  • Teeter Dance for Spinda.
  • Cosmic Power for Lunatone & Solrock.
  • Protect for Dusclops.
  • Razor Wind for Absol.
  • Leaf Storm for Torterra.
  • Mach Punch for Monferno and Infernape.
  • Acua Jet for Buizel and Floatzel.
  • Fake tears for Bonsly.
  • Cross Poison for Drapion.
  • Magnet Rise for Magnezone.
  • Rock Wrecker for Rhyperior.
  • Wild Charge for Zebstrika.
  • Psyshock for Reuniclus.
  • Volt Switch for Emolga.
  • Heavy Slam for Golurk.
  • Dig for Bunnelby.
  • Brave Bird and Talonflame.
  • Dazzling Gleam and Florges.
  • Flash and Heliolisk.
  • Forest's curse for Trevenant.
  • Leafage for Rowlet.
  • Pursuit for Gumshoos.
  • Ice Hammer for Crabominable.
  • Flash Cannon for Meltan.

I'd say mostly Pokémon that got certain moves for their own upon release. Stuff like Mega Kick and Hitmonlee, Extremespeed and Arcanine, Dark Void and Darkrai.

There's also Dragonite with Hyper Beam and Geodude with Self-destruct for example.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom