• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Does anyone else miss sprites?

One minor thing impacted with sprites vs models that comes to mind is what the fandom can do with the assets. Obviously it's not at all something Game Freak should be designing their games around, but I do think it's fun how easy it is to manipulate the sprites, recolors, splices, fangames, etc. Like, hey, maybe I want to make an artist's palette with a rainbow of Dittos?
1601330782528.png
Boop. That probably took like five minutes? (And, as is clear from the awful brown circle for a palette, I can't sprite from scratch)

But there's also tons of fun stuff that gets done with models, even if it's harder to edit them:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDG4nSRMjaA

One thing I do think was lost from sprites to models was coloring. It's really weird comparing some Pokemon and seeing how washed out they look:
1601323325842.png
1601323331047.png

1601323215877.png
1601323220371.png

1601323457083.png
1601323462634.png

1601323565807.png
1601323571591.png
It's not the case for all of them- Caterpie, Oddish, and Rattata are some examples I think transferred nicely- but I think it's a fair amount.

But to be fair, I am making this comparison by looking at Bulbapedia's sprite section- it's possible lighting comes into play here and I'm just not realizing the impact that has.

But to be fair, I am making this comparison by looking at Bulbapedia's sprite section- it's possible lighting comes into play here and I'm just not realizing the impact that has.

Personally I do think lighting plays a part; both LGPE and SwSh use different lighting engines and shaders from the 3DS games and I think both of them bring out more color or definition on the models. That said, you aren't seeing things, because this was one of the things I recall them saying in XY interviews was that they really wanted to keep the models in-line with Sugimori's illustrations. I think you can see that very evidently in this comparison:

1508816563895.png

idk why Alolan Exeggutor and Dugtrio break this rule, though:

1514253183021.png

(Also, touching back to my first sentence, here's pictures of Starmie from Gen 7 to Let's Go to Gen 8; make of these what you will:

pokemon_sun_and_moon_starmie_qr_code.png

pokemon_lets_go_pikachu_and_lets_go_screenshot_of_cerulean_city_gym_leader_misty_and_starmie.jpg

Pokemon-Sword-and-Shield-Starmie.jpg

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom