• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Does anyone else on here like Iris? What do you like about her?

RTLfan

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
  2. He/Him
I'm asking because she doesn't seem to be a popular character at all but she's my favorite travel companion.
I like her hair, outfit, clothing, and the fact that she's mature for her age.

Can't really speak to her anime incarnation, but in the games she's got a cool team and a god-tier battle theme/sequence. She's a bit thin in terms of character, though. Certain aspects make her seem like she could be meant to represent a sort of anti-N - that is, someone who was raised in communion with Pokémon and understands their feelings better than the average person, but unlike N, there was no evil person manipulating her interactions with Pokémon to ensure that she developed a negatively warped and biased viewpoint, and she has a very positive relationship with her adoptive paternal figure, who trains her and genuinely wants her to succeed for her own sake rather than hoping to have her serve his own ends. But the games don't really lean on any of that.

As "the girl who knows the hearts of dragons," I think there's a case to be made that she could even be Unova Dragon Hero material. Frankly, I would not have objected to a storyline that ended up with her taking care of Kyurem and putting it on her team, since the two of them both represent potential in their own ways. Unfortunately, Dex completion is a thing, so Nate/Rosa had to have all the dragons awkwardly dumped onto them.

Last edited:
I don't have much to say about the game character. She's obviously supposed to be a cute prodigy, but that's a trope.

The anime character is the controversial one due to her mocking Ash, rarely losing and getting a Dragonite rather easily. She still lost to Ash, Drayden and Clair, and it took a while for her to get Dragonite to obey (by which point he wasn't that powerful), so she was no Mary Sue. Her personality was more fun that most of Ash's companions', and so I'd place her fourth after Misty, Brock and Go (in some order to be determined).

Game Iris was fine. She had a nice personality, decent Gym Leader team, great Champion team, and was overall lightyears better than her anime counterpart. The fact that she actually cared about others and, as @Esserise mentioned, could be considered an anti-N character, having similar natures but different outcomes/upbringings could've made for an interesting story device (though, frankly, BW already was heavy in the story department, so I guess it's okay that anything else that could've contributed went the wayside).

Anime Iris, on the other hand, can die a fiery, awful death for being such an abomination of a main character. I won't go into details, as I'll just blow up if I do, making this post unnecessarily long and hateful, but she was the main reason why I avoided BW anime like the plague. As if some of the other "problems" weren't bad enough (like Ash getting hit with the Dum-Dum Ray and such), she just made it 100x worse. I'll stop there now.

Game Iris was fine. She had a nice personality, decent Gym Leader team, great Champion team, and was overall lightyears better than her anime counterpart. The fact that she actually cared about others and, as @Esserise mentioned, could be considered an anti-N character, having similar natures but different outcomes/upbringings could've made for an interesting story device (though, frankly, BW already was heavy in the story department, so I guess it's okay that anything else that could've contributed went the wayside).

Anime Iris, on the other hand, can die a fiery, awful death for being such an abomination of a main character. I won't go into details, as I'll just blow up if I do, making this post unnecessarily long and hateful, but she was the main reason why I avoided BW anime like the plague. As if some of the other "problems" weren't bad enough (like Ash getting hit with the Dum-Dum Ray and such), she just made it 100x worse. I'll stop there now.

Wow, well go into details about it a bit then. Why was she THAT bad?

Wow, well go into details about it a bit then. Why was she THAT bad?

Trust me on this, do NOT get me started on how much I hated her anime incarnation. That's the LAST thing this thread needs. But, if you insist, I'll give you my shortest version possible: she was a vile, deplorable excuse for a Misty clone, possessing all her negative qualities, cranked them up several levels, lacked all of Misty's "good" qualities (though I use that word loosely, as I hated Misty, too, but at least she became somewhat tolerable over time), had too many implied abilities that she never lived up to, took several shortcuts in her training, got lots of cheap wins, had a lot of stuff HANDED to her instead of earning it, a Grade A hypocrite, a veeeerrrry annoying "catchphrase", and had a very irrational fear that made no sense whatsoever (with a dose of irony). She single-handedly made the BW anime unwatchable, let alone the other issues that plagued that series. That pretty much sums up my hatred of her in the shortest, and tamest, possible way, otherwise this post will be nearly 10 paragraphs long of pure hatred. Now, I'm going to stop there, as I'm starting to get revved up, and that's the last thing I need before my evening psych meds and melatonin sleep aid, or I'll be up all night.

Trust me on this, do NOT get me started on how much I hated her anime incarnation. That's the LAST thing this thread needs. But, if you insist, I'll give you my shortest version possible: she was a vile, deplorable excuse for a Misty clone, possessing all her negative qualities, cranked them up several levels, lacked all of Misty's "good" qualities (though I use that word loosely, as I hated Misty, too, but at least she became somewhat tolerable over time), had too many implied abilities that she never lived up to, took several shortcuts in her training, got lots of cheap wins, had a lot of stuff HANDED to her instead of earning it, a Grade A hypocrite, a veeeerrrry annoying "catchphrase", and had a very irrational fear that made no sense whatsoever (with a dose of irony). She single-handedly made the BW anime unwatchable, let alone the other issues that plagued that series. That pretty much sums up my hatred of her in the shortest, and tamest, possible way, otherwise this post will be nearly 10 paragraphs long of pure hatred. Now, I'm going to stop there, as I'm starting to get revved up, and that's the last thing I need before my evening psych meds and melatonin sleep aid, or I'll be up all night.

Well at least people are saying that they liked her in the games.

I’m pretty neutral to her in the gen 5 games—though I feel her ascension to champion wasn’t earned and I vastly prefer Drayden as the Opelucid City gym leader—but I found her a bit annoyingly childish in Pokémon Masters, though that might be due to her voice actor.

I liked Iris in the games, she was much better than Alder as far as Unova champions go (from her battle theme to her team). Her anime counterpart, on the other hand, irked me quite a lot, athough I still don't actually dislike her. My least favourite things about anime Iris are Axew learning two powerful attacks, only to never use them again and Dragonite losing every single battle once he started obeying his Trainer.

Would you guys say that at least she deserves credit for being more outdoorsy and physical (and therefore less of a stereotypical gentle girly girl) than Misty, May, Dawn, and Serena? That's definitely something that I like about her since I'm like that too.

Would you guys say that at least she deserves credit for being more outdoorsy and physical (and therefore less of a stereotypical gentle girly girl) than Misty, May, Dawn, and Serena? That's definitely something that I like about her since I'm like that too.

Lol nobody is willing to give her any credit :LOL:

Anime Iris is very popular on tumblr and some parts of twitter, and other forums. You shouldn't let one forum affect your view on the character, I've seen people make essay long posts how much they like anime Iris on tumblr.

Iris is one of the strongest team, It's Haxorus is a force to be recognized with due to the ability to setup thanks to the Focus Sash and being hard to stop without a prooper counter.

Does anyone like the way she looks at least? :)

She's my favorite Champion in general tbh. I thought her team was a nightmare, but still slightly easier to beat than Cynthia's sadistic menagerie of Pokemon. I also really like her princess design in BW2.

Does anyone like the way she looks at least? :)
She's certainly unique. I remember her silhouette being revealed and how puzzling it was.

The "Mowgli" aspect from the anime was nice, but not very well developed. I could be wrong, but wasn't it limited to early BW and that one episode where she taught Dawn how to swing?

She's certainly unique. I remember her silhouette being revealed and how puzzling it was.

The "Mowgli" aspect from the anime was nice, but not very well developed. I could be wrong, but wasn't it limited to early BW and that one episode where she taught Dawn how to swing?

I'm really not sure.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom