• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Does Anyone Else Think Dragons Are Overrated?

I just gave an example. If you want Hydreigon to be overly powerful and unbeatable, then be it so.

lol, Hydreigon being stupidly strong is a fact. I can't think of any pokemon except the pink blobs who can switch into it without getting obliterated.

The pseudo Legendary dragons more or less point how powerful dragons are. They deserve the hype around them.

I don't think they're overrated, but I don't really battle with them that much. The only main reason I transferred a Gible over to my Black 2 was for the battle with Iris, and I even brought over an ice type for that same reason. I only use a Dragon type if I really need to. I know they're super powerful but they take forever to raise, and sometimes I'm kind of lazy ^^'

They are a little bit overrated because so many legendary Pokemon are dragons. Or at least that has been the fashion for the last two generations. That said, I imagine it's because they ran out of ideas for bird-type legendaries.

I think there is this sort of pride that comes with raising a dragon type. I remember in my Pokemon Red playthrough I managed to catch a Dratini and I raised it, with great difficulty, to become a Dragonite. Ever since I have always tried to work a dragon into my teams... but more often than not I find my teams work just as well without them. Plus they are notoriously difficult to level up. They're only really worth while in regular re-plays. They drain time on the first playthrough and eat up too much attention on Nuzlockes. But if you're willing to train for a long, long time then they are nice. Especially if its one of the pseudo-legendary pokemon.

I like Dragon types for their designs,but have always been reluctant to use them on my competitive teams. I guess I wanted to differ from the majority of players that have at least one. That,however,changed as I realised the best way to counter dragons was with another dragon and added Hydreigon to my team. I really like to use it as a surprise mixed attacker.

Okay, so that's a ranking system (the OU and UU, etc). I was thinking "Overused? That is awfully arbitrary, isn't it?"

There are just too many Pokemon and types to have an overpowered type like dragon.

I just gave an example. If you want Hydreigon to be overly powerful and unbeatable, then be it so.

lol, Hydreigon being stupidly strong is a fact. I can't think of any pokemon except the pink blobs who can switch into it without getting obliterated.

The pseudo Legendary dragons more or less point how powerful dragons are. They deserve the hype around them.

I never used the pink blobs in the games, but I had no trouble getting through Ghetsis' Hydreigon. I was underleveled, but it didn't sweep my team. I may have been lucky, but Hydreigon wasn't much of a threat unlike most people say.

Also, this is just my playthrough, but I got Draydens team of dragons with a female Gothorita using Attract and spamming Shadow Balls and stuff. So as long they have genders, there's always a way to pwn them even without the so-called countering team. Some people can have different strategies that work for them - so even if dragons are very hard to beat, there are ways that work surprisingly well

I never used the pink blobs in the games, but I had no trouble getting through Ghetsis' Hydreigon. I was underleveled, but it didn't sweep my team. I may have been lucky, but Hydreigon wasn't much of a threat unlike most people say.

Also, this is just my playthrough, but I got Draydens team of dragons with a female Gothorita using Attract and spamming Shadow Balls and stuff. So as long they have genders, there's always a way to pwn them even without the so-called countering team. Some people can have different strategies that work for them - so even if dragons are very hard to beat, there are ways that work surprisingly well

LC isn't talking about the story mode. I could beat the story mode with a Sunkern if I really wanted to. He's talking about the competitive metagame where players battle other players with advanced strategies and fully balanced parties. You try defeating a living, thinking person with a Gothorita spamming attract. It's not gonna be as easy as battling the AI.

In this environment, which is where most of the Pokemon viability rankings are taken from, Hydreigon is uncounterable (note: I said uncounterable, not undefeatable. It can be revenge killed fairly easily, but for that to happen, it first has to take out at least one of your Pokemon,) which turns it into a real threat. Dragonite, with the added bulk provided by Multi-scale, has become the third most used Pokemon in the standard tier (just after Politoed and Scizor,) and so on and so forth.

LC isn't talking about the story mode. I could beat the story mode with a Sunkern if I really wanted to. He's talking about the competitive metagame where players battle other players with advanced strategies and fully balanced parties. You try defeating a living, thinking person with a Gothorita spamming attract. It's not gonna be as easy as battling the AI.

In this environment, which is where most of the Pokemon viability rankings are taken from, Hydreigon is uncounterable (note: I said uncounterable, not undefeatable. It can be revenge killed fairly easily, but for that to happen, it first has to take out at least one of your Pokemon,) which turns it into a real threat. Dragonite, with the added bulk provided by Multi-scale, has become the third most used Pokemon in the standard tier (just after Politoed and Scizor,) and so on and so forth.

Well excuse me cuz I never played against other players that I am not so competitive. But that doesn't change the fact dragons can still fall victim to Attract - you wouldn't expect someone to fight your Hydreigon starting with Attract, would you? Personally, the more people don't consider using the move, the more easier to catch them off guard. Hydreigon doesn't have Oblivious, so you have to admit that moves like Attract CAN work - and anyone can learn Attract except for genderless pokes. As long as one can come up with a creative strategy, Hydreigon CAN be countered in one way or another - so it doesn't really deserve the god-like hype that everyone talks about.

Well excuse me cuz I never played against other players that I am not so competitive. But that doesn't change the fact dragons can still fall victim to Attract - you wouldn't expect someone to fight your Hydreigon starting with Attract, would you? Personally, the more people don't consider using the move, the more easier to catch them off guard. Hydreigon doesn't have Oblivious, so you have to admit that moves like Attract CAN work - and anyone can learn Attract except for genderless pokes. As long as one can come up with a creative strategy, Hydreigon CAN be countered in one way or another - so it doesn't really deserve the god-like hype that everyone talks about.

The only reason attract is usable in-game is because in-game opponents don't switch out. You use attract in a competitive battle and your opponent can just switch out. It's the same reason why Confuse Ray isn't used in the metagame even though it sounds great in-game. Sure you could catch a few opponents off-guard but good luck being consistent with attract. There's almost nothing in the game which can safely switch into Hydriegon's attacks.

In fact, since so many people are underestimating Dragon types, I'd go so far as to say Dragon Types are UNDERrated.

I think many people are getting confused with 'overrated' and 'overused'. Dragon types are overused but it's only because they are that good. To be overrated, they would have to be undeserving of all hte praise they get which is simply not true. In most cases, Dragon types deserve every amount of praise they get.

There's almost nothing in the game which can safely switch into Hydriegon's attacks.

In fact, since so many people are underestimating Dragon types, I'd go so far as to say Dragon Types are UNDERrated.

I think many people are getting confused with 'overrated' and 'overused'. Dragon types are overused but it's only because they are that good. To be overrated, they would have to be undeserving of all hte praise they get which is simply not true. In most cases, Dragon types deserve every amount of praise they get.

I never said I underestimated Dragon-types. I dislike them because they are far too good for their own good and too many people use them that they are practically overshadowing other pokemons. It ticks me off when people say "Hydreigon is the best", "There's nothing that can survive switching in when battling a Hydreigon", "Dragonite with Multi-Scale FTW"... It sounds as if pokemon only exists for Dragon-types and dragons only. I got tired of all the Eeveelution hype, and the hype about dragons are equally annoying. I try to come up with something that MIGHT work against a dragon and look - people tell me "that won't work agaisnt Hydreigon". "metagames are where competitive players gather and that won't work" such stuff that it's making me sound stupid and that no matter what other pokemons do, they'll always be inferior to dragons and dragons will always be superior to every single pokemon on earth. It's that hype about dragons that makes me disappointed that good pokemons like Lucario or Gallade or Lapras or whatever heck you guys use in the metagame - they'd get pwned forever by dragons and other pokemons will never stand a chance. Wut, it's not as if dragons rule the pokemon world that they should get all the worshipping and other pokemon getting treated like punching bags for dragons.

Lucario is really good. Everyone knows that. But Gallade and Lapras are just bad. Even if Dragon didn't exist, Those 2 would still be bad. It's just a fact that Dragon are really versatile, really powerful and deserve all the priase they get.

Eeveelution hype? First time I heard of it. I know they're really popular but not in the metagame. Only a couple of them are good.

I think you've got a "It's popular/good so it sucks" mentality.

You're also using the wrong word. Hype has nothing to do with this.

Lucario is really good. Everyone knows that. But Gallade and Lapras are just bad. Even if Dragon didn't exist, Those 2 would still be bad. It's just a fact that Dragon are really versatile, really powerful and deserve all the priase they get.

Lapras spent its first days in OU though. It's only bad now because of Stealth Rock and Fighting's Dominance in the metagame. Gallade was also a BL Pokemon in Gen IV. It's only flaw outside of stats is its four moveslot syndrome. You're just proving a point that the necessary evolutions from Gen IV aren't really necessary at all because they'll still suffer in the low tiers.

Eeveelution hype? First time I heard of it. I know they're really popular but not in the metagame. Only a couple of them are good.

If only the Eeveelutions had access to Focus Blast and Grass Knot (followed by powerful STAB moves to abuse their highest stats).

Now onto Dragons, Hydreigon can still be OHKO'd by a strong SE move from another Pokemon who either 1) can outspeed it, and 2) has Mach Punch.

@Ranger Jack Walker; In competitive play lucario is almost unusable right now because it is way to frail and doesn't dish out enough power compared to over options in gen 5.

The thing with any of the special dragons is that they can become setup fodder after a Draco Meteor.

Dragons are underrated by people who don't know what they are doing. In reality they are extremely strong and versatile despite perhaps not being at the very top of their respective tiers this gen.

Dragons are underrated by people who don't know what they are doing. In reality they are extremely strong and versatile despite perhaps not being at the very top of their respective tiers this gen.

Dragons are too OP to be underrated. I see them on everybody's teams in Random Matchup (mostly Dragonite, Lati@s, and Garchomp), thus deserving their overrated status with Water, Fighting, Steel, and Ground, to the point where I need an Ice Beam user, a Rock type, a Ground type, a Steel type, and a Dragon type on my team, while at the same time balance the number of physical and special sweepers, to survive these battles. How many times must I mention Grass, Fire, Ice, Electric, and Poison as the most underrated types?

You're just proving a point that the necessary evolutions from Gen IV aren't really necessary at all because they'll still suffer in the low tiers.

What point? No one has made that point. And they'd completely wrong to suggest such a thing. While some evolutions for earlier Pokemon proved to be inferior, said earlier Pokemon would be even worse without their evolutions.

I was only talking about current gen. Gallade was usable in Gen IV but Lapras has been bad for a long time now (even before Dragons started dominating).

I never said I underestimated Dragon-types. I dislike them because they are far too good for their own good and too many people use them that they are practically overshadowing other pokemons. It ticks me off when people say "Hydreigon is the best", "There's nothing that can survive switching in when battling a Hydreigon", "Dragonite with Multi-Scale FTW"... It sounds as if pokemon only exists for Dragon-types and dragons only. I got tired of all the Eeveelution hype, and the hype about dragons are equally annoying. I try to come up with something that MIGHT work against a dragon and look - people tell me "that won't work agaisnt Hydreigon". "metagames are where competitive players gather and that won't work" such stuff that it's making me sound stupid and that no matter what other pokemons do, they'll always be inferior to dragons and dragons will always be superior to every single pokemon on earth. It's that hype about dragons that makes me disappointed that good pokemons like Lucario or Gallade or Lapras or whatever heck you guys use in the metagame - they'd get pwned forever by dragons and other pokemons will never stand a chance. Wut, it's not as if dragons rule the pokemon world that they should get all the worshipping and other pokemon getting treated like punching bags for dragons.

I agree.
To be fair, I looked at the meta rankings and there are a LOT of pokemon on there I didn't expect. Quite a few I like personally. It's surprising what you can do with different Pokemon. I found Abomasnow on one of the tiers (OU or UU I forgot which) and it has seven weaknesses. But apparently it's useful if you know what you're doing.

BUT, the dragons are overpowered for people who aren't as interested in competative battling. When I did it years ago, I had a lot of time to build up the best of the best teams and the GBC battles were link-cable only. Which meant that, in my small-ass town, there was a very limited pool of fellow competitors. I knew the top three Pokemon and it was relatively easy to prepare. It's global now, and I assume much more hardcore as a result. I don't know if I could put in all the time EV training and IV breeding that most metagamers do. Ergo, while I am interested in competitive battles I do not know if I could actually do it anymore. So I mostly speak from the context of in-game.

The way the type is structured, they do edge out a lot of competitors. Their relative scarcity is the only thing keeping them from becoming a larger part of the metagame. And it forced the steel type to rise up, as well, further limiting what you can do. They're not limited; they're limiting, and that's part of why I don't like them. In-game they don't suit my purposes well and out-of-game they pretty much pick the tone of your party for you.

Heracross is a good counter to Hydreigon, because it's weak to Fighting and Bug, which are Heracross's types. Failing that, any Bug, Fighting or Ice type except Kyurem would do (Kyurem is weak to dragon because it's a dragon type itself).

Heracross is a good counter to Hydreigon, because it's weak to Fighting and Bug, which are Heracross's types. Failing that, any Bug, Fighting or Ice type except Kyurem would do (Kyurem is weak to dragon because it's a dragon type itself).

lol good luck trying to get one of them in before dying...in-game and competitive are completely different environments.

Did you not read my earlier post about Hydreigon using Flamethrower/Fire Blast on the obvious switch in? Hydreigon will not just be using its STAB moves to battle, y'know.

But hey, even if it did, I'd like to see that Heracross survive a fully powered Draco Meteor while switching in and then proceeding to take out Hydreigon. You do know that Hera is slower than Hydreigon, right?

yeah..........really dragons are powerful but i dont consider them like a type, though they are..........u know bug and dragon are type of beasts.............they shouldnt be used as type of powers a pokemon has...........

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom