• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Does anyone think Gen 4 is overrated, specially in Pokemon designs?

I think the original Pokemon for Gen 4 are great (Luxray line, Staraptor line, etc), but all the babies and evos turn me off of the generation as a whole. I do like Electivire and Mismagius though.

Generation 4 is my favorite one and definitely has some of my favorite designs in the whole series. But when it comes to the games in it, Diamond and Pearl are very rough. Really slow between battles and just walking around feels like a slog nowadays. This is exacerbated by the fact that other games like Dragon Quest 9 in the same system had better graphics and were much faster in terms of speed.

The way to play Generation 4 is through Platinum and that's a fantastic game. It's tied with Emerald as some of the best experiences i have had with this franchise.

I haven't seen a lot of people talk about gen 4 being that good.
Maybe I've just been in the wrong part of the world forever.

I never really liked Gen 4 to start with, but it is beginning to grow on me now. For me, there is not a lot of originality, just a lot of babies and poorly conceived evolutions. It seemed like a poor attempt at re-making Gen 2, focusing on changing existing Pokémon and not creating a lot of new ones. Gen 2, however, did it far better. I don't know how 'popular' other people find Gen 4 though.

Also, haven't gotten past Johto in the anime, so can't speak to that.

I think it is crazy how popular Gen 5 is since, I think it is, in all means, the worst Gen ever. I can't even find the patience to finish the games most of the tim

I never really liked Gen 4 to start with, but it is beginning to grow on me now. For me, there is not a lot of originality, just a lot of babies and poorly conceived evolutions. It seemed like a poor attempt at re-making Gen 2, focusing on changing existing Pokémon and not creating a lot of new ones. Gen 2, however, did it far better. I don't know how 'popular' other people find Gen 4 though.

Also, haven't gotten past Johto in the anime, so can't speak to that.

I think it is crazy how popular Gen 5 is since, it was so much underrated & look at it now. People consider it the best at it's rightful place.

As mentioned above, I don't believe the Gen 4 Pokemon are overhyped at all. If anything, I think they get too much criticism for being abominations. Specifically, I believe that the Cross-Gens get too much hate and I don't think their designs are that bad- Togekiss, Leafeon, Mismagius, Gallade, Magmortar are some of my favorites! I always love it when a new Pokemon gets a new form that gives it a massive buff, like how Tangrowth became an excellent wall in Smogon OU. And let's not forget poor Glameow, who's only been in 4 Core RPGS to date. I remember when I was kid, I always loved Magmortar because I thought it looked so cool with its arm cannon that could Fire balls over a thousand degrees. I can't tell you how disappointed I was when I learned that people said Magmortar should not exist.

I don't understand the complaints about "Pokemon designs" as they're not articulated well (what does "pseudo-Fighting type" mean?), but in general no, I see nothing overrated about 4th gen. The region design and content in particular are top-notch should (and to some people are) considered the gold standard for the series.

As mentioned above, I don't believe the Gen 4 Pokemon are overhyped at all. If anything, I think they get too much criticism for being abominations. Specifically, I believe that the Cross-Gens get too much hate and I don't think their designs are that bad- Togekiss, Leafeon, Mismagius, Gallade, Magmortar are some of my favorites! I always love it when a new Pokemon gets a new form that gives it a massive buff, like how Tangrowth became an excellent wall in Smogon OU. And let's not forget poor Glameow, who's only been in 4 Core RPGS to date. I remember when I was kid, I always loved Magmortar because I thought it looked so cool with its arm cannon that could Fire balls over a thousand degrees. I can't tell you how disappointed I was when I learned that people said Magmortar should not exist.
For me, the cross-gen stuff is hit-or-miss, and I think that's very subjective as well. Magmorter for me is a weird one... I love it in concept, evolution of an old favorite and it's got arm cannons? Amazing. The res of its design is... Awkward? Like not cohesive and for some reason Magby and Magmar's beak becomes bug weird lips? Like I like it but it could've been way better. And I feel like that's the case for a lot of them. Again, purely subjective though!

Gen 4 is overrated in the sense that most fans are super nostalgic about it despite the Sinnoh games having flaws just like every other game, but I don't think I've seen that much praise for its Pokemon designs. I mean sure things like Lucario and Garchomp are fan favorites but Gen 4 also had dozens of Pokemon that people consider to be useless or ugly, so it all balances out.

I think people praise generation 4 because Platinum was such a vast improvement over DP and HGSS continued that streak by having so many great returning features and new ones as well. As for the Pokemon themselves some of them look really awesome too. So maybe some people praise generation 4 too much but I think generation 4 earned it.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom