• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Does anyone think that filler episodes can be good?

danh19

Reaction score
It seems from what I read on here, nearly everyone hates filler episodes, but I actually think their are some really enjoyable episodes and it is good way to show character's personality away from a episode that is story focused and also it can be nice to have a break from story arc

Not every single episode necessarily has to be progressive, especially if this is an all-year-running series we are talking about.

That being said, the filler episodes should at least meet a standard for the audience. That would be promoting a species that is often overlooked so far in an interesting way, or making a character interesting enough for a CotD, or at least give a moral lesson in the end.

There are plenty filler episodes that I love more than many non-filler ones. Hour of the Houndour, The Bicker the Better, A Fork in the Road! A Parting of the Ways! are just some of them that I see worth watching.

SuMo's fillers are all kinds of awful IMO, but then again the whole saga is lax compared to older sagas, so it gets a pass. Early OS had the best fillers though like the island of giant Pokemon one and the maiden's peak one, courtesy of Mr. Shudo's vision for the show.

Some of my personal favorites from the show were filler episodes, so there isn't a negative to fillers. On the other hand, SM is basically just a filler arc in my opinion, so too much filler is not great, either.

Here's my comprehensive list of "good" OS fillers. I am not saying that they're all universally liked, but even if not, there is something special about them.

Good Shudo fillers: The School of Hard Knocks, The Ghost of Maiden's Peak, Xatu the Future

Good Tomioka fillers: The Path to the Pokémon League, The Flame Pokemon-athon, Ditto's Mysterious Mansion, The Battling Eevee Brothers, The Ultimate Test, The Ancient Puzzle of Pokémopolis, Bye Bye Psyduck, Imitation Confrontation

Good Ohashi fillers: The Bridge Bike Gang, Hypno's Naptime, The Song of Jigglypuff, Bad To The Bone, The Crystal Onix, A Shipful of Shivers, Bound For Trouble, Snubbull Snobbery, Foul Weather Friends, Forest Grumps, The Fortune Hunters, Trouble's Brewing, Espeon Not Included, Whichever Way the Wind Blows

Good Takegami fillers: Computer Warrior Porygon, Showdown at Dark City, Princess vs. Princess, A Scare in the Air, Meowth Rules!, Pokémon Food Fight!, The Little Big Horn, Ignorance is Blissey, Chikorita's Big Upset

Good Yonemura fillers: Snow Way Out!, Lights Camera Quack-tion, Hour of the Houndour, Houndoom's Special Delivery, UnBEARable, Just Waiting On a Friend

Good Sonoda fillers: The Double Trouble Header, The Bug Stops Here, A Hot Water Battle

Good Fujita fillers: Pikachu's Goodbye, Illusion Confusion!, Love Totodile Style

Edit: I've removed a few non-fillers. Your mileage may vary about the definition, but mine is any episode that doesn't involve a capture, evolution, gym, league, equivalent companion development, significant backstory, or a major operation by an evil team (and that is not directly tied to any of the above, unlike The Island of Giant Pokemon). An episode can count as a filler even if it features a recurring character (like Jigglypuff and Casey) that is unrelated to the above.

Last edited:
It seems from everyones posts that most people would say shudo has written the best filler episodes.

Also it seems others have completely different definition of filler than what I have

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom