• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Does Gender Matter?

I usually decide my team beforehand, and then decide whether they look more masculine or feminine then try to catch one accordingly.

Male Gardevoirs, Male MISdreavus, female Machoke's etc is just plain wrong in my opinion.

I remember when i first started playing pokemon back during the Gold & Silver era, i was just about to enter Ilex Forest after defeating the gym. BAM! The rival appeared. Halfway through this battle i realised all his Pokémon were male. At this point i decided to follow this trend and only catch male pokémon (with the exception of chansey and any other female only pokemon).

I have only recently now broken this trend some 10 years later. Does anybody else follow this trend or is it just me?

......in gen 2-3 we all caught males because even though we didn't know about game mechanics, we just noticed that males were stronger. i didn't break from the trend until dp....it matters to me because of nicknames otherwise..so male is better unless its an all-female species in gen 2.....

I usually don't care for gender, but sometimes I want certain pokemon of select species to be female because I find it somewhat cuter.

As a female player, I tend to care about which gender my Pokemon are, though it varies. Pretty (ie.Rapidash and Ninetails) or cute Pokemon I like to have as female. Tough-looking Pokemon i typically have as male, though I'm not too strict about it. Pokemon that look like they could be either don't matter to me. I love my female Absol, for example.

It doesn't really matter to me, although like most people I prefer more feminine looking pokemon to be male and more masculine pokemon to be male.
The only time it would really bother me if if for example I was battling a trainer/gym leader who had a pokemon use Attract (*cough*Whitney*cough*), then in that case I'd probably go for a female. I usually have more males on my team (4 is the most common number) but I try to keep it 3 male and 3 female for the most part.

Not realy. The only time gender mattered to me was when i started Soul Silver and I wanted my old female Totodile that I had in Silver back

No, it doesn't matter to me. Although it's odd when a "Mr.Mime" is female.

I prefer my starters to be guys, to match the player character. So of course, I only got a male starter in FireRed, Crystal, and White 2. o3o I never soft reset for gender, so I just accept whatever I get regardless.

As for other Pokemon, though, I'm aiming to destroy stupid gender stereotypes. It's such a stupid thing that "feminine" Pokemon like Gardevoir SHOULD be female, and "masculine" Pokemon like Machamp SHOULD be male. Pokemon aren't human beings, so their gender shouldn't be decided based on appearence. Just to kick those stupid ideas, I always make sure I have male Gardevoirs, Lopunnys, Jigglypuffs, etc. The same with the other half, I always get female Machamps, Alakazams, Rhyperiors, and so on.

It's why I refer to all the chibi-legendaries as "male", especially Mew. "It's small cute and pink so it HAS to be a girl", ugh. Same with Meloetta. He doesn't have an official gender, so it's safe to call him a boy. Even with the name. If GAME FREAK wanted Meloetta to be a girl, he wouldn't be genderless. I seriously hope the world can be rid of stupid stereotypes regarding gender one day. :| It's one of my major berserk buttons, so I may have ranted a little, but really now...

Gender really doesn't matter at all to me. I usually just take the first thing I catch.

In GSC I catch the male Pokemon, if I want their attack stats to be higher (this is determined by the same variables). In RSE it doesn't matter, unless perhaps a nickname sounds better for a Pokemon with a certain gender. In DP and up, I choose the Pokemon that looks the best. Some female Pokemon look cool, but most of them have an extremely lazy change in design, so I often end up with male Pokemon if there is a difference. Take Golbat for instance. The only thing they've done, is making its teeth smaller, like as if they haven't done that already from Blue version! Usually it is the colour differences that I like, because then both the male and female Pokemon look good in their own way and give the variation I want. I wonder how many people (if they cared to make a choice) would pick the female Golbat of the two?

I prefer male pokemon...because I just do XDD. I don't like having females in my team. It sort of feels like I got a bunch of cool male bodyguards XDD A male Gardevoir isn't so bad (but I'd just get a Gallade in the first place XDD)

EVEN though im a male I have a tendency to catch female Pokemon i only use male Pokemon if there either bred for me and traded or i get them over the GTS

MY starter pokemon has to be female at all cost to.

I used to be the same way when I was a kid. Now it doesn't matter to me so much. :p

I remember when i first started playing pokemon back during the Gold & Silver era, i was just about to enter Ilex Forest after defeating the gym. BAM! The rival appeared. Halfway through this battle i realised all his Pokémon were male. At this point i decided to follow this trend and only catch male pokémon (with the exception of chansey and any other female only pokemon).

I have only recently now broken this trend some 10 years later. Does anybody else follow this trend or is it just me?

Male, Female, Genderless, Shiny, Non-Shiny, Pokérus, no Pokérus - I don't care. All are equal in my eyes. I did feel guilty that my Black 2 team is all male, except for my gender less Starmie, so I gave Starmie a female nickname and caught a female Skorupi.

I only get male pokemon. When I was 7 my friend told me Male pokemon have more attack and defense so I just assumed they were better. I still believe him today xD

It depends for me. Usually, it doesn't really matter, but for some Pokemon, it does matter to me. For example, Gardevoir is my favorite Psychic-type, and even though it can be both male and female, I prefer my Gardevoir to be female. Not only does Gardevoir look more feminine to begin with, but I've had a habit of calling a female Gardevoir Lora since Sapphire. Because of that, I've actually started writing stories about a young adult male trainer and his primary partner, a female Gardevoir named Lora. Another example is that I prefer to have male starters, with some occasion exceptions, like Snivy. I also like certain Flying-types to be male, like Staraptor, Braviary (though that one can only be male), and Pidgeot.

In any case, when it comes to my teams, I like to have a little mix of genders. Though most of them end up being male, I always have at least one female on my team. Thanks to TMs being unlimited use in Gen 5, I can use strategies I would normally not do, like using Attract (with my Leavanny, who are always female with me, this can be a potent surprise tactic). But in short, gender doesn't really matter to me unless we're talking about a specific Pokemon. If it has the right stuff, then gender is irrelevant to me. But again, there are some exceptions to the rules.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom