• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Does Gender Matter?

Lately I found myself caring a bit less. I used to judge them by appearance, mostly (more feminine looking generally female, more masculine looking generally male)
But in the end it doesn't matter, except if you for breeding purposes. I also think it's interesting if you do a Nuzlocke or fanfic for example to have a Pokémon that's normally considered masculine to be female (or the other way around) I mean, when they get turned into characters, or are gijinkafied or something, that influences it as well... I hope that made sense XD

Anyway, I don't care too much anymore, though sometimes for nickname purposes I try to catch a Pokémon of a certain gender

It doesn't matter to me, with a few exceptions. Besides evolving those gender-based ones (which are few and far between), I would always take a female Frillish/Jellicent over the male one any day. They look better in my eyes.

I imagine that in-game wise, the gender of your Pokemon matter when it comes to Attract. That's because trainers (even important ones) tends to have a mono-gender team if able (so stuff like Magneton are not applicable), and this makes Attract easier to abuse. So if I face Marshal, for example, a female Pokemon with Attract will be able to cripple his entire team.

Thanks for reading.

It probably doesn't matter but I do sub-conciously get male/female mons which seem to go with their appearance. masculine etc.

but it doesn't matter because there must be lots of female Ursaring or male Gardevoir (well with Gallade maybe not?) or they wouldn't exist. survival of the fittest etc.

For me, it depends on what the Pokemon looks like. If it looks like a male in my opinion (like Conkeldurr for example), then I would want a male one. If it looks like a female in my opinion (like Espeon for example), then I would want a female one. And for Pokemon that don't look particularly male or female in my opinion, it does not matter what gender they are, as long as they have awesome stats, natures, or if they are shiny.

I did feel guilty that my Black 2 team is all male, except for my gender less Starmie, so I gave Starmie a female nickname and caught a female Skorupi.
That is actually an odd thing I've noticed in Gen V... My Black team is all female with a genderless, and so are the majority of pokémon I've caught despite not paying attention to it.

So I wonder if there's actually something that makes pokémon of the same gender be slightly more likely to appear. Probably not, but this apparently happens to plenty of players.

I did feel guilty that my Black 2 team is all male, except for my gender less Starmie, so I gave Starmie a female nickname and caught a female Skorupi.
That is actually an odd thing I've noticed in Gen V... My Black team is all female with a genderless, and so are the majority of pokémon I've caught despite not paying attention to it.

So I wonder if there's actually something that makes pokémon of the same gender be slightly more likely to appear. Probably not, but this apparently happens to plenty of players.

That happened to me a few times in Emerald. Whenever I pick the boy as my PC, for some strange reason, female pokemons seem to appear quite more often - even the ones that have a higher male percentage. Excluding my starter, it would be late in the game that I'd realize I caught a bunch of female pokemons

I don't really care. If nicknaming's the issue, I name according to the gender of the pokémon I get, not otherwise. Then again, I don't nickname that much.

I do prefer to have a female starter if I can and, say, a female Eevee simply because it's easier to breed more and they are rarer. But I never have to work hard at it as most of my teams simply end up being mostly female. In both my PKMN Black and PKMN Black 2 my team was so female I've wanted a lad just to make Audino training not quite so annoying. If a male turns up... it takes forever. :p

I usually try to catch female Pokemon, but my Elemental Monkey and my starter don't matter. However, there are exceptions:

My male Woobat I nicknamed Puffball.
My other woobat which I think is male.
My future Sandile might be male.

it doesn't matter to me unless I breed them or use Pokemon that have Rivalry
other than that I couldn't care less about the genders

I try to create a balanced team because of attract. That is, I generally try to have equal numbers of male and female Pokemon. In recent years, though, I have discarded that because of statistical considerations. My HG team only had one female Pokemon on it, and my BW2 team has none. In fairness, my BW2 team consists largely of Pokmeon with substantially male gender ratios, one member is Male only (braviary), and one member is a gift Pokemon who is always male.

On a personal level, I don't care about the sex of a Pokemon. As a competitive player, I worry about infatuation.

I pick pokemon that seem to be their gender. Eg Chikorita has to be female and Gengar has to be male.

I prefer females. Though I also will be gender specific if a pokemon looks masculine/feminine.

I'm not massively bothered by gender, but Gen V really got me thinking about it, though. I'd definitely ditch a male Unfezant for a female (even more now that I got a Braviary in Route 4 :D), and apart from that I've just been fussed about genders with fighting-types, but that's mostly because I want to name them after Ranma 1/2 characters. (already got Ranma the male Blaziken, Ryoga the male Lucario and Shampoo the female Mienshao...coming up, Genma the Throh and Soun the Sawk :D)

I catch what I catch with no preference for gender. I tend to end up with more males than females, though.

Just like Miles above me, I usually end up with more males whether I like it or not. I don't really have any preferences for gender unless it is needed, like Gallade or Nidoran Male.

I tend to end up with more males, but there are some Pokémon I just prefer females of, like Espeon, Cinccino and so on. All in all I try to keep an equal balance wherever possible.

Gender only matters if you're going after Pokemon that can only evolve if it's a certain gender, such as Vespiquen, Gallade, and Froslass, otherwise, it's not important what gender your Pokemon is, and while it's true there are a few feminine looking Pokemon that can be either gender, such as Gardevoir, Lopunny, and Mienshao, the gender of a Pokemon is a trivial fact and is only important if you are breeding or after gender-based evolutions. My Mienshao in Black 2 is a male and I don't find that important at all.

I'm usually conscious of the gender, at least. My starter in Sapphire was female, so I used an all female team. In White 2, my current team is all male (which is reasonable, since my party is based on members from another forum).

If I picked out a nickname in advance, I'll look around until I catch a male/female version of the Pokemon for my team.

I prefer female versions of Pokemon like Ninetales, Bellossom, Gorebyss, Espeon, Lopunny, and Milotic. I can't really think of any Pokemon that I must have as male atm though, haha.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom