• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Does it bug you that Ash has never battled an evil boss yet?

Cilan

Reaction score
Even though you battle Giovanni, Maxie, Archie, Cyrus, and N in the games Ash has never battled them in the show. It kind of bugs me because I think to would be cool to see the boss being defeated my Ash or his friends in a battle. The anime really doesn't handle the evil teams well and I think that they should build up their goals a bit more. Hopefully they can do that with Team Plasma. That's why I'm hoping Ash battles N, Giovanni, or Ghetsis in BW.

not really - they would have been Curbstomp battles anyway...

but i'm hoping for Ash vs N

and even cubstompe-y - Ash vs Ghetsis

It would be a little unrealistic for them to take an evil leader down (at least in the games the character is an unstoppable monster), but having them battle against a leader and win/tie would be amazing.

Yeah, bothers me a little.

Back in the day, when I'd first watched the OS, I was really hoping Ash would face off against Giovanni at his gym, especially after Gary had the daylight scared out of him. I was thinking "Yeah! You show that Gary what you're made of, Ash!" And then,...oh, its that stupid TRio /facefault

But as others have said, N would be a great matchup for Ash nowadays, since he's supposed to be a trainer that hasn't had years of experience, I believe, unlike Giovanni and the others. And since the anime seems to follow the games somewhat, I'm hoping.

It does bug me a little. I was hoping that Ash battled Giovanni at least in Johto. I don't get why Ash couldn't battle him at the Viridian Gym when Gary was able to. Well sicne there's no second quest in BW maybe they can expand on Plasma and Rocket's plots more and maybe we'll get a few battles with N and hopefully Ghetsis maybe.

Definitely. That's practically the only issue I have with the show. At first glance, Giovanni was not battled in the 8th gym in Kanto because they had to set up for the plot of the first movie, hence the battle with Jessie using his Pokemon. But I think that even in Kanto, they already realized that the Trio themselves were too much of a writing crutch to lose by following the storyline Team Rocket had in the game. Because basing it off the storyline in the game, Team Rocket would have disbanded (only going off the first game without knowledge of second gen), or continued in shambles (with the second gen storyline). In Johto it didn't matter whether Ash fought Giovanni or not, because at the time he didn't even battle in game. Team Rocket would have been vanquished by a battle between Ash and the new executives. Once again though, the Trio is a writing crutch, so the writers kept them through Hoenn despite the events of the game (taking only Hoenn into account, not FRLG). Not to mention, throughout their run, they changed the storyline of TR. The trio was involved at Mt. Moon and the 8th Gym, but what happened to Nugget Bridge, the Game Corner, Pokemon Tower, the Silph Company? Well, I'll post my thoughts on the other teams later.

I wouldn't mind seeing him battle one, but having this battle be what decided the fate of the boss would be pretty damn unrealistic.

"I beat you Giovanni! Your Pokemon are weak, you can't go any where!"

Giovanni out of his pocket pulls out a remote shaped object. He presses the red button. Walls around the stadium open to reveal hundreds of Rocket Gruns with laser guns.

>.>

It's one thing in the games, the anime it's another matter.

But nah, I ain't ticked by this. I could really care less if he never battles one.

I didn't watch BW yet, but I think he should battle an evil boss at one point or another. However, I don't think Ash would stand a chance.

I think the problem is that the writers hadn't developed Ash enough to make him better or equal in strength and skill to the evil team leaders.

Plus, it shouldn't be just a kid who disbands a criminal organization but also his allies who help him like Lance, Steven, Looker, Cynthia, the Professor and even his companions. One trainer against a whole evil team of criminals won't work but one trainer and his allies just might stand a chance.

Basically, Ash and his allies should take down evil teams together with Ash facing the boss in the end. With good writing, it can work.

I honestly don't think that Ash by himself could take down a boss. Maybe if Alder or someone helps him out then I could see it happening. I hope he battles N at least before finding out that he's leader of Team Plasma.

I still don't get why they didn't let him battle Giovanni. I mean, if they'd played it right, there'd be no way for Ash to know that Giovanni was anything but a normal Gym Leader. But no, they had to out the team's involvement in Viridian with Giovanni not even THERE.

Uhh..when Ash was wanting an Earth badge, Giovanni had Mewtwo. They had to ensure that Ash would win and they couldn't use Giovanni because they didn't want to spoil who the TR boss is to Ash and they didn't want him to know about/get defeated by Mewtwo.

I really don't care, because its unrealistic in the games for a child to do so anyway.
Plus, I sort of hate the reasons why people like game-Red anyway. They're mostly "He took down Team Rocket!". Well, he also barely shows any personality either being a representation of the player, I don't see what there is to like. I don't really want people liking Satoshi just because he took down one of the bosses; his personality should be the reason rather than accomplishments.

Aside from that, while not bosses, I wouldn't mind if Satoshi went against the Seven Sages. We never really got to see their strength so it isn't as if we can tell that they are above him.

I don't know, I just don't see WHY a boss would battle him, Giovianni, Maxie, Cyrus, Ghetsis, etc. Hell I don't understand why they do in the games, I mean they're freaking criminals, why don't they just kidnap the kid or use throw him out of the building? And ignoring that...why would him knocking out Giovanni's Pokemon be he end of Team Rocket?

"You defeated me, boy! You have set me free! Team Rocket is disbanded from now on, farewell!"

I can see this is being targeted mostly at Giovanni, which there is no way Ash was skilled enough to face Giovanni at that point. He might be able to do it now, if he used any of his reserves, but like others have said, fighting him does nothing. He's more a mastermind, pulling the strings behind the scenes. He never gets personally involved. (Save for what was the TR vs TP plot, and I'll have to wait and see what became of that, evidently it was enough for Giovanni to make himself scarce, which is really shocking in terms of the anime) By the time Ash encountered Maxie and Archie, he was too late to stop their plans, so it wouldn't have mattered. They had a final confrontation with at least two of the Galactic admins, but again, Cyrus was more the mastermind. Fighting him would've done nothing since Galactic did all his work for him. I wouldn't take N out of the equation yet, but for now, we don't know if he will even be in the anime. I would be open to the idea of Ash and co. facing him since I feel he is what happens when the protagonist turns evil. Ghetsis is more the evil mastermind, and thus if he ever appears, I would guess it is him that slips away or meets a sticky end.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom