• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Does love actually play a factor?

Does love make for a better team?

• Yes - people who love their pokémon win more often.

Votes: 58 61.1%
  • No - it's all just numbers.

Votes: 37 38.9%

• Total voters

Lyorias

Dark Gym Leader
Reaction score
Amongst my friends, I'm the only one who loves his pokémon.

I have a bunch of buddies who play, and make pretty awesome teams of a variety of types, making use of excellent combos and, in some cases, fully EV training them, finding the right natures and so on and so forth.

I, however, name my pokémon, each and every one. I have my select team of six (of which the majority will be dark-typed, and the others will have at least one dark move) who I cherish one and all and I go to no extent to EV train or find correct natures or even go for strong combos.

And yet I win. Even against EV trained super-teams I tend to be the victor. I think the magic ingredient is love.

My question is, in your experience do people who genuinely care for their pokémon do better than those who don't? Obviously EV training and such is a factor but have you guys seen weaker teams with more caring trainers win?

I find that people who love and care for theit pokemon also help with more of teh intagibale, maybe you have some moves that aren't the strongest but you know how they work because you care enough to choose good moves instead of the best, maybe it's because we spend a little extra time and money getting that protein and giving it to the one who needs it and not someone who has to be the highest base attack, or maybe because we choose our pokemon and care about them we are able to find a team which sub conciously jusy syncs well.

i dunno i do notice that people who actually care for them more than just people who could care less about the poekomon and only care about winning tend to do better, maybe the game has a secret function making happier pokemon do better damage and more accurate.

I have a very difficult time believing that you manage to win against people who you claim to have studied the game mechanics inside and out with monsters that one would go through the in-game.

I think they were going easy on you. Or they really aren't as well-versed in the game mechanics as you claim them to be.

I admit, I do EV train, try to get correct natures and use tested movesets that work. However, I do get attached to said monster and it becomes a cherished monster of sorts.

No... just no. The only thing that matters in battling are numbers and your skill. As far as emotions go, the only ones that matter are the one that affect your state of mind. For example, calmness would probably provide a benefit (albeit most likely a negligible one) to the battler because he/she would be more likely to make smart decisions in tight situations.

The only way love can affect anything at all is that if you love playing Pokémon, then you're probably more likely to put more effort into building your team to defeat your opponents. But while in a battle? The computer cannot feel your love and it will make you win. If your opponent has a good team and plays smart, he/she can easily win vs someone who just loves their Pokémon and uses that as their "skill".

In fact, loving specific Pokémon may well be a weakness. If you happen to love weak Pokémon like Farfetch'd or Delibird, and thus you use them, you are at a severe disadvantage in a standard battle vs someone who uses Pokémon based solely on their strength. Your Pokémon will simply get destroyed if your opponent knows what he/she is doing.

Just because you defeated your friends' EV trained Pokémon does not mean love affects anything. It's also simply unscientific.

No, it doesn't. I grow attached to my pokemon, but that has nothing to do with anything.
Posted via Mobile Device

While it's certainly possible to grow attached to them, and it is certainly fun to immerse oneself in the game and play like they are "real" (as many do); at the core, it's still a game, and runs on mathematics and statistics like any other.

There's nothing wrong with being fond of your team and putting a little spirit into your battling for the fun of it, but it's not going to yield any advantage, in either multiplay or CPU-based battles.

I loves mah Pogeymanz and I rarely win. (unless I'm fighting RaccoonGoon). Maybe it's because Andy Candy uses cheap moves.

I have a Houndoom named Victor and an Espeon named Chloe. They are mates.

I have a Scizor named Jason and a Flygon named Kimber. They are mates.

I have a Lucario named Corin and a Kirikizan named Allison. They are mates.

I love my pokemon, my favorite pokemon (okay, my main six) so much, that I find life mates for them to love.

And do I win? Well... Yes. And no. I'm not competitive so I jsut battle for fun.

I love my pokemon, my favorite pokemon (okay, my main six) so much, that I find life mates for them to love.

This is the cutest post I've ever seen from you. I'm saving this.

But anyway, it does play a part in it. At least to me, it has to do with determination. That's a driving factor in any type of game. I think that sort of spirit is the main thing your love will affect, because without that motivation, you probably won't be trying as hard as you do.

Just my random thoughts

And do I win? Well... Yes. And no. I'm not competitive so I jsut battle for fun.

...pass the brain bleach

See, I follow Karenism.

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best."

And I have favorites I tried to give personalities to.

I do the same thing, which is why I'm having a hard time trying to switch out my White teammates for other ones I want to train too. I love them all too much that I hate having only 6 slots >__>

I really don't know. Due to the lack of Pokemon fans where I live, I don't battle other people's Pokemon.

It might be true. It might be false. It might just be the perception of the person.

Like Ryuutakeshi, I follow Karenism. I don't use the pokemon that are popular or are the best competitive battlers, I use pokemon that I love.

I like the sound of Karenism. I can say I follow that as well.

I can respect those who build teams based on stats, natures, EV's, what have you; but for me the real fun is playing about with my favourites. The ones that I find and say "oh, I've gotta have this bloke". My team would probably make the pro-gamers collectively facepalm, but as far as I'm concerned I have a perfect team.

I think of Pokémon as a game blessed with several hundred playable characters, so there's a flavour for everyone. The only problem is that, like Yabukuron said, 6 slots often feels too small!

That's really nice. :)

See, I follow Karenism.

And I have favorites I tried to give personalities to.

I believe in Karenism as well. I do not care that much if a Pokémon is considered weak or strong. If I like it, it's usually perfect for me.

I voted for the latter option.
But I'm confused. I only EV train Pokemon who I love, which are exactly like yours, Lyorias. Dark types. :)

In universe; yes, because they are real creatures who look up to you.

Game wise, no. Unless you get attached to the little guys.

Last edited:
Love makes the world go round, but I don't think it wins you Pokemon battles.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom