• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Does Mega Evolutions mean that GF is getting out of ideas???

Does Megas mean that GF is out of ideas?

• Yes

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • No

Votes: 32 91.4%

• Total voters
No, Mega evolutions does not mean that GF is running out of ideas, but by god Mega evolutions are such blatant fanservice for a lot of overpowered Pokemon that don't deserve them (Blaziken and Lucario come to mind), and additionally I honestly feel that GF ripped off Digimon by introducing the concept, in general, with the temporary evolutions and Mega bracelets (the equivalents of Digivolution and Digivices respectively).

View attachment 94915
Yes because it was Digimon that invented the entire concept of something temporarily evolving with an item/device and then reverting back to their previous form... *facepalm*

Oh no, I know full well that Digimon didn't invent the concept of temporary evolution, that concept goes all the way back to the days of Ultraman and Kamen Rider in Japan, and Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, and other superheroes in America, I'm just saying that Pokemon seems to be copying a lot of aspects from the way Digimon does temporary animal/companion evolution.

Last edited:
No, Mega evolutions does not mean that GF is running out of ideas, but by god Mega evolutions are such blatant fanservice for a lot of overpowered Pokemon that don't deserve them (Blaziken and Lucario come to mind), and additionally I honestly feel that GF ripped off Digimon by introducing the concept, in general, with the temporary evolutions and Mega bracelets (the equivalents of Digivolution and Digivices respectively).

View attachment 94915
Yes because it was Digimon that invented the entire concept of something temporarily evolving with an item/device and then reverting back to their previous form... *facepalm*

Oh no, I know full well that Digimon didn't invent the concept of temporary evolution, that concept goes all the way back to the days of Ultraman and Kamen Rider in Japan, and Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, and other superheroes in America, I'm just saying that Pokemon seems to be copying a lot of aspects from the way Digimon does temporary animal/companion evolution.
Well at least you are one of those who knows that Dgimon didn't invented that concept unlike 50% of the Internet. But what if instead they copied Power Rangers or Dragon Ball Z instead of Digimon? Or that they created Mega Evolution without copying anyone and ended up similar to other franchises? There are countless RPGs who have similar concepts, does that mean they are copying each other? No one knows. It seems to me they are comparing both because Digimon has Mega Digivolution, if Mega Evolution had another name people would stop comparing both, yes some people would still compare both because they'll notice they are extremely similar but the aumont of people comapring both would decrease immensely.

About Mega Evolution, yes it was used as fan service in XY and pokemon like Garchomp (somehow his mega is worse than his regular form), Scizor, Tyranitar, Lucario, Gyarados, Alakazam and Gengar didn't need one but it also gave a bunch of pokemon a much needed boost like Ampharos, Manectric, Kangaskhan (perhaps too much), Mawile, Pinsir, Houndoom, Medicham, Aggron and Absol, even though i would have preffered a straight up evolution to some of these. Let's hope in Z/XY2 and following generations it's no longer used as fan service.

Answer in one sentence, No.

Full answer. There are budgets for each pokemon generation of games. This is the first gen that involves a completely new engine, almost 3D everything with active stereoscopic 3D too. Now that is a giant chunk of the budget eaten off right there. Every single pokemon rendered and animated in 3D.Then there is the extended GPL and multiplayer with many many great features. The list can go on. A lot has been done with this gen that has taken time and a lot of money.

I believe Gf have plenty of ideas in the works and it can only get better.

I feel like the majority of Pokemon who deserved the Mega Evolutions really tend to get overshadowed (in terms of popularity and usage) by the overpowered, fan favorite Pokemon who didn't need Mega Evolutions in the first place though, I mean seriously I tend to see more OP Megas like Mega Lucario, Blaziken, and Mewtwo being used more than Mega Manectric, Pinsir, or Mawile (Pokemon who actually deserved Mega evolutions) in online battles.

Edit: Also I do think that less people would be comparing Pokemon to Digimon if it weren't for the whole "Mega Evolution" name ordeal, however, quite a bit of people will still be comparing and referencing them regardless of the situation, whether it'd be for scholarly or other purposes, because that's just how the culture of video games and culture works in general: it never remains static and is ever changing, and needs comparisons, references, feedback, reports, and scholarly articles to help it develop further.

Last edited:
It is difficult to say what Pokemon "deserved" to have Mega Evolution or not, because these are completely opinions. Even Game Freak, didn't choose Mega Evolvable Pokemon based on stats or BST or from competitive gameplay , just from marketability stands and popularity preference from the fans.

Starting since day one of introducing Mega Evolution, it just served as a temporary power-up state limited to fully evolved Pokemon. So it can't help that giving MEvo to many of the FE Pokemon will strengthen them further to the level of unnecessary.
Hence in that case, I'm sure many people will say thus giving MEvo to weak FE Pokemon like Azumarill, Bellossom, Jumpluff become necessary.

Those Pokemon are already in their 3rd stage of evolution line, so giving them MEvo is justifiable. But, for all the unevolvable Pokemon (excluding Legendaries) and Pokemon evolve only once, I personally would rather prefer standard evolution retcon to it, because they have the potential to be receive further normal evolution, just like how it was done to many old Pokemons in Gen4. But that doesn't mean it will not receive MEvo. Yes, I would like both standard evolution and Mega Evolution given to many of the Pokemon not of the 3 stage evolution family.

Hence I personally dislike MEvo of Kangaskhan, Pinsir, Aerodactyl, Scizor, Heracross, Houndoom, Mawile, Medicharm, Manetric, Banette, Absol and Abomasnow. Because IMO, their normal evolution line is not yet "completed", giving them MEvo now will just shut down deadly the path of further permanent power-up.

Creating something entirely new = Running out of ideas

Logic.

But seriously, I have yet to understand why people think Mega Evolutions means GAME FREAK is running out of ideas. They made an entirely new concept, complete with it's own set of rules, and a new way to play the game, plus a new way to use a Pokemon. They've made Pokemon that haven't been relevant in years and/or that have never been competitively useable become useful in the current metagame. What about this says "running out of ideas"?

It is difficult to say what Pokemon "deserved" to have Mega Evolution or not, because these are completely opinions. Even Game Freak, didn't choose Mega Evolvable Pokemon based on stats or BST or from competitive gameplay , just from marketability stands and popularity preference from the fans.

Starting since day one of introducing Mega Evolution, it just served as a temporary power-up state limited to fully evolved Pokemon. So it can't help that giving MEvo to many of the FE Pokemon will strengthen them further to the level of unnecessary.
Hence in that case, I'm sure many people will say thus giving MEvo to weak FE Pokemon like Azumarill, Bellossom, Jumpluff become necessary.

Those Pokemon are already in their 3rd stage of evolution line, so giving them MEvo is justifiable. But, for all the unevolvable Pokemon (excluding Legendaries) and Pokemon evolve only once, I personally would rather prefer standard evolution retcon to it, because they have the potential to be receive further normal evolution, just like how it was done to many old Pokemons in Gen4. But that doesn't mean it will not receive MEvo. Yes, I would like both standard evolution and Mega Evolution given to many of the Pokemon not of the 3 stage evolution family.

Hence I personally dislike MEvo of Kangaskhan, Pinsir, Aerodactyl, Scizor, Heracross, Houndoom, Mawile, Medicharm, Manetric, Banette, Absol and Abomasnow. Because IMO, their normal evolution line is not yet "completed", giving them MEvo now will just shut down deadly the path of further permanent power-up.
They can still give evolutions to those, now you might say what would be the point of using the Mega Evolution? Because the Mega Evolution would have its own ability and stats boosts and a straight up evolution would have its own ability and stats boosts, means the mega evolution would fill one role and the straight up evolution would fill another role. Of course in some cases the mega evolution would overshadow the normal evolution and vice versa, this just wishful thinking but i hope it happens.

Nope. As already said, mega evolution added new elements to battle. Also, in a way, mega evolutions aren't out and separate new pokemon, more like new forms given to older pokemon. Either way, it was Game Freak testing out something new, nothing involving running out of ideas.

"GameFreak bringing forward a new idea = them running of ideas". I'm not sure how that makes sense.

Personally, I think the lower number of new Pokémon was to compensate for the new Mega Evolutions, as opposed to the other way around. 69 new Pokémon plus 30 Mega Evolutions in XY equals about the size of our usual haul of new Pokémon in past generations.

They can still give evolutions to those, now you might say what would be the point of using the Mega Evolution? Because the Mega Evolution would have its own ability and stats boosts and a straight up evolution would have its own ability and stats boosts, means the mega evolution would fill one role and the straight up evolution would fill another role. Of course in some cases the mega evolution would overshadow the normal evolution and vice versa, this just wishful thinking but i hope it happens.

No, I mean give those Pokemon a standard evolution first in order to "complete" their normal evolution line, then give Mega Evolution to rather the newly added final evolution stage.

At first, I thought I was just another gimmicky plot-device, but I'm more inclined to believe that it's just another way to enhance and improve gameplay. I don't think Game Freak is running out of ideas.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say they're running out of ideas. If anything they're trying out new stuff with old elements, something EVERY video game series does.

Heck, they try out new ideas fairly often! :)

...it's just that those new ideas usually aren't as very successful :-(

It really depends on how they structure and include it in the games. If Mega Evolutions become a central part of the franchises' canon then it will work. If it developed or comes across as just a gimmick then it will get the reputation of the series having jumped the Sharpedo, so to speak. They have to be really focused and targeted as how and to what Pokemon they decide to give a Mega Evolution. Traditional evolution is still the default way we see Pokemon grow, and I think that should continue to be the case. However, Mega Evolutions offers a unique opportunity to see old Pokemon take on new roles within the game. For example how we have seen Kangaskhan explode in the game play. It makes sense that Kangaskhan does not have another evolution--though a pre-evolution is still very obviously on the table--so a Mega Evolution makes sense.

Where I think Game Freak could get into trouble with fans is if Pokemon that should get a traditional evolution instead, like say Dunsparce, instead get an Mega Evolution or never gets an evolution at all. Mega Evolutions are interesting, but ultimately it is very much a the same Pokemon with a key differences, it is temporary, and you are limited to only one per team, whereas traditional evolution really allows a Pokemon to take on a new role.

It could also get into trouble, and this I think is more likely, is if they just focus on popular Pokemon and ignore Pokemon that could really use a boost. As much as I like Charizard's Evolutions it getting two, it was just playing to a certain segment of the fan base.

It's also important that they continue to incorporate Mega Evolutions into the story and really make it interwoven to the story. I would love to see Sycamore, the professor most dedicated to Mega Evolutions, become essentially the new Oak, in that he travels the world and the player bumps into the player.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom