• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Does Nacrene City's possible IRL inspiration warrant a mention somewhereon its page?

SuperTrainStationH

East Unova Resident
Reaction score
When real life locations in the films and video games are inspired by real-life locations, its generally pointed out on the corresponding page on the Wiki.

Regarding Unova in particular, we've been given lots developer quotes to support when certain features are based on real life parallels, which is how we know objectively that Unova is based on the New York City metropolitan area, that the Skyarrow Bridge is partially based on the Brooklyn Bridge, and so on.

I've done a little of what could be called "first hand research" regarding Nacrene City, namely, I personally traveled to equivalent location in Brooklyn if you lined up the Unova and New York maps as seen here for the sole purpose of collecting information relating to its possible relevance to Pokémon:

4-1.jpg

The real life neighborhood is called DUMBO, and having been there in person for the sole purpose of seeing for myself, I can say that Nacrene City in the games and anime is so much like DUMBO that It's hard for me believe that the developers didn't also do extensive research about the area to create Nacrene City.

Of interest, DUMBO features,

1. Century old warehouses, many of which have been repurposed as residences and businesses
  2. Cobblestone streets with abandoned train tracks which end abruptly before a wooded park area analogous to Pinwheel Forest which leads directly to the Brooklyn Bridge entrance, a bridge which is known to have inspired the Skyarrow Bridge, which is similarly adjacent a park beside a warehouse filled neighborhood
  3. furniture and decore botiques, and a widely recognized art community
  4. Café with an outdoor area just like the one in the game

In addition to this, some of the photos I took of the streets with the train tracks almost exactly mirror establishing scenes of Nacrene City as seen in the animé.

All of these parallels can be found in THIS VIDEO which I took myself to explain all of this.

I've held off for months proposing DUMBO as something that might be of relevance to our Wiki pages regarding Nacrene City or Unova in general because I didn't want to seem like I'm just trying to shove some personal fanon stuff onto the page, but I'm pretty confident at this point that it at least deserves to be discussed whether or not this is relevant, as I can serve as a unique primary resource for these specifics which otherwise aren't apparent if one were to merely search DUMBO's Wikipedia page or any other websearch.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom