• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Excited about the recently announced new Pokémon games? Join us here for discussion and speculation.
  • Visit your account preferences to list your favourite Gen 9 Starter, and you'll get the appropriate badge added to your profile!
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Does the Anime have an effect on the Popularity of some Pokemon?

90'sPokéfan

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, do you guys think that the Anime plays a big part in how popular some Pokemon are?

Like for example, were Pokemon like Piplup, Greninja, Incineroar, Wobbufett, etc popular even before their had their anime roles?

In the case of Greninja, Nintendo and the Pokémon Company did expect him to become popular I think. (Maybe because they also knew it would be a big part of the anime.)

When it made it's debut in Super Smash a lot of people thought it was Mewtwo when they saw the hands. There was some rage by some when it was confirmed as Greninja. However, it was a good call from Nintendo. And by that moment, Greninja wasn't the powerhouse it is today in popularity.

But yes, the anime does help some Pokémon to become more popular. A good, memorable representative can do wonders for a species in a whole. Also other media. Mr Mime did gain some traction after the Detective Pikachu movie I think.

Ghost Diplocaulus

Detroit SMAAAASH! Eevee style.
Reaction score
Pronouns
she/her
But yes, the anime does help some Pokémon to become more popular. A good, memorable representative can do wonders for a species in a whole. Also other media. Mr Mime did gain some traction after the Detective Pikachu movie I think.
I concur. Detective Pikachu outright redeemed Mr. Mime for me. It used to be one of my least favorite Pokemon until I saw that movie, which took full advantage of Mr. Mime's fun attributes to great effect.

CharizardFan7

Though I'm also a Blaziken fan
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
I concur. Detective Pikachu outright redeemed Mr. Mime for me. It used to be one of my least favorite Pokemon until I saw that movie, which took full advantage of Mr. Mime's fun attributes to great effect.
Ehhhhh.....it still creeps me out.

CharizardFan7

Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
Yeah, but I think Detective Pikachu was fully aware of how creepy the Mime is. It's part of the reason it's scene is so funny for me.
Oh, it is a funny scene, to be sure. But when they tried to reference it in Journeys with this,
Creepy.jpg
I was a little.... unnerved, to say the least.

Gengarzilla

"What do you mean, my Gengarite is contraband?!"
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
It definitely does. I was fairly ambivalent towards Greninja, but the anime then gave it an immutable spot as one of my most actively hated Pokémon to the extent where I can somehow tolerate Goh's very unpopular Grookey just because it's not Ash's Greninja. This was probably the only time the anime influenced my personal thoughts on a species itself to such a terrific extent.

CharizardFan7

Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
It definitely does. I was fairly ambivalent towards Greninja, but the anime then gave it an immutable spot as one of my most actively hated Pokémon to the extent where I can somehow tolerate Goh's very unpopular Grookey just because it's not Ash's Greninja. This was probably the only time the anime influenced my personal thoughts on a species itself to such a terrific extent.
If I may ask, why do you hate Ash's Greninja so much?

R1ke

D U C K
Reaction score
Yep it definitely does, a fair amount of my favourites have been influenced by it