• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Does the Anime have an effect on the Popularity of some Pokemon?

Just out of curiosity, do you guys think that the Anime plays a big part in how popular some Pokemon are?

Like for example, were Pokemon like Piplup, Greninja, Incineroar, Wobbufett, etc popular even before their had their anime roles?

In the case of Greninja, Nintendo and the Pokémon Company did expect him to become popular I think. (Maybe because they also knew it would be a big part of the anime.)

When it made it's debut in Super Smash a lot of people thought it was Mewtwo when they saw the hands. There was some rage by some when it was confirmed as Greninja. However, it was a good call from Nintendo. And by that moment, Greninja wasn't the powerhouse it is today in popularity.

But yes, the anime does help some Pokémon to become more popular. A good, memorable representative can do wonders for a species in a whole. Also other media. Mr Mime did gain some traction after the Detective Pikachu movie I think.

But yes, the anime does help some Pokémon to become more popular. A good, memorable representative can do wonders for a species in a whole. Also other media. Mr Mime did gain some traction after the Detective Pikachu movie I think.
I concur. Detective Pikachu outright redeemed Mr. Mime for me. It used to be one of my least favorite Pokemon until I saw that movie, which took full advantage of Mr. Mime's fun attributes to great effect.

Yeah, but I think Detective Pikachu was fully aware of how creepy the Mime is. It's part of the reason it's scene is so funny for me.
Oh, it is a funny scene, to be sure. But when they tried to reference it in Journeys with this,
Creepy.jpg
I was a little.... unnerved, to say the least.

It definitely does. I was fairly ambivalent towards Greninja, but the anime then gave it an immutable spot as one of my most actively hated Pokémon to the extent where I can somehow tolerate Goh's very unpopular Grookey just because it's not Ash's Greninja. This was probably the only time the anime influenced my personal thoughts on a species itself to such a terrific extent.

It definitely does. I was fairly ambivalent towards Greninja, but the anime then gave it an immutable spot as one of my most actively hated Pokémon to the extent where I can somehow tolerate Goh's very unpopular Grookey just because it's not Ash's Greninja. This was probably the only time the anime influenced my personal thoughts on a species itself to such a terrific extent.
If I may ask, why do you hate Ash's Greninja so much?

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom