• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Does The Introduction Of Mega's Mean The Death Of Cross-Gen Evolution Lines?

Kangaskhan may get a pre-evolution yet. You never know...

7 or more generations into the franchise (no way we'd get it this generation...) I'd love it, but I honestly doubt it... Then again, no one thought we'd get Sylveon.

i'm sort of struggling to see the purpose behind not making would-be (future) cross-gen evos mega evolutions?
You listed two very good reasons: design changes and the Mega restriction (you can add an item slot to that). This isn't something that you should struggle to see; it's fairly apparent. Mega Evolution was clearly not designed with particularly mediocre Pokémon in mind.

I'd be content if the list of cross-generational evolutions were finalized with Farfetch'd, Dunsparce, Corsola, Qwilfish, Delibird, Spinda, Castform, Luvdisc, Volbeat, Illumise and Chatot. Granted, it would be acceptable if a few of them were just given the Mawile treatment (meaning a Mega Evolution with a really good ability), but such a solution should be used rarely.

yeah it was sort of late to be honest and i don't know exactly why i put that; i probably meant to delete it after i listed the reasons. i might have meant that, besides the reasons i went on to list, i don't really see the point in not making them mega evolutions (though you listed a good reason yourself: if they're decidedly mediocre like the pokemon you listed then i think a full-on evolution would honestly be more beneficial!).

If Eviolite were that game-breaking, it would make all NFE Pokémon better than their evolutions (not just cross-generational evolutions).

And to put this into perspective--let's assume things like Mega Lucario, and Kangaskhan had the exact same stats and abilities. Does anyone honestly think Eviolite Lucario and Kangaskhan would have caught on? Well, maybe Eviolite Kangaskhan due to its bulk but in no way do I see it outclassing an evolution with Parental Bond and held items.

I guess for these guys, the benefit of Mega Evolution is that they have an excuse to break/approach the 600 BST limit that non-legendaries typically achieve. But for things like Mawile? I've shown in my previous post that Pokemon have gotten a BST increase above 100 points from simply evolving. Mawile's 380 BST is so low that it could justify the same ~130 boost that Charmeleon gets upon evolution without the restrictions of mega evolution (no HP boost, lack of held item).

Though personally, I find speculating about mega Pokemon more interesting because of the intrinsic limitations on what we can give them, but that doesn't mean megas best serve all Pokemon.

Are you saying that Mega Evolution changes are more drastic? Crazier perhaps, but you can still easily identify the original Pokémon.
Most megas are just a case of taking the base pokemon and making it spikier. Because Mawile gains the second mouth and the design goes a lot further with the kimono design, it looks more like it could stand alone on its own. Just the fact that Mawile grows an entire second mouth for short periods of time just weirds me out a bit more than other pokemon growing a lot of hair or larger spikes.

Are you saying that Mega Evolution changes are more drastic? Crazier perhaps, but you can still easily identify the original Pokémon.
Most megas are just a case of taking the base pokemon and making it spikier. Because Mawile gains the second mouth and the design goes a lot further with the kimono design, it looks more like it could stand alone on its own. Just the fact that Mawile grows an entire second mouth for short periods of time just weirds me out a bit more than other pokemon growing a lot of hair or larger spikes.
Even weirder is the Kangaskhan kid going back and forth from infant to preadolescence (i think is this) all the time.

Agreed, but you worded it wrong initially: "The mega itself already looks enough like it could stand on its own as a regular evolution because it's not some drastic change in design."

Probably. Maybe. I guess we really don't know, but outlook is bleak. I really hope not, a new evolution is always gonna be something cool.

I don't think it will. Mega Evolution shouldn't be the successor for cross generation evolution, as it is not permanent evolution itself. CGE also has the possibility to surpass ME in strength (cross generation evolution's stat increases, possible new ability, possible new typing with the ability to still hold an item).

That being said, I don't think CGE will be that prominent as GameFreak doesn't intend to make so many Pokemon be able to evolve. Not everything needs an evolution.

..which I guess is what ME is for?

Dunno about evos, but I'm pretty sure there will be more cross-gen pre-evos in the future.

1. Baby pokemon are cute. Fanservice. Wynaut.
2. To introduce new egg moves, like Volt Tackle
3. To introduce new evolution methods.
4. Room for more stat growth

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom