• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dog and Cat Competitive Team

Denvoros

An Hero
Reaction score
So, I've been trying to get into competitive Pokemon battling with AS and my sister's copy of Y. However, to use the copy of Y to get the Pokemon that I need easily, she asked that I create a team of Pokemon for her. I thought it would be fairly easy to pick s team of Pokemon that she'd like to battle with, as there are so many. Then she gave me, in my mind, quite the challenge and won't back down. All of the Pokemon on the team must be dogs or cats of some kind. Now, I haven't been in to competitive battle nearly enough to know which ones are the best.

So this is what I'm trying to ask, what is a good combination of dogs and/or cats that I can breed to create an effective team? I assume that some of the Evee evolutions would work, but I'd like some opinions from you guys here on the forum.

Thanks so much in advance for the help.

Since you're limiting yourself to "dog and cat Pokemon", do understand that the team won't be able to perform as optimally. Though that doesn't mean that you'll always be losing, just keep in mind that your team will have more weaknesses you'll have to make up with strategy/experience with the team :)

So we can work on your definition of cats and dogs, my first suggestion would have to be making a team that has elemental synergy. Meaning to say, try to pick ones that don't share the same weaknesses and whose typings can let you deal with a lot of the other elements. That way you would be able to handle yourself in battles and just have variety in your team.

I'm pretty sure Manectric counts as a...cat/dog (he has a mane but wiki describes it as "canine" :p) so that can be a good place to start. It has a Mega Evolution and it has high Speed and Special Attack. Since you're planning to build this team in-game I recommend working out the details of the entire team first so that we can work on any fixes before you start and not have to backtrack once you're training/breeding them.

Since you're limiting yourself to "dog and cat Pokemon", do understand that the team won't be able to perform as optimally. Though that doesn't mean that you'll always be losing, just keep in mind that your team will have more weaknesses you'll have to make up with strategy/experience with the team :)

So we can work on your definition of cats and dogs, my first suggestion would have to be making a team that has elemental synergy. Meaning to say, try to pick ones that don't share the same weaknesses and whose typings can let you deal with a lot of the other elements. That way you would be able to handle yourself in battles and just have variety in your team.

I'm pretty sure Manectric counts as a...cat/dog (he has a mane but wiki describes it as "canine" :p) so that can be a good place to start. It has a Mega Evolution and it has high Speed and Special Attack. Since you're planning to build this team in-game I recommend working out the details of the entire team first so that we can work on any fixes before you start and not have to backtrack once you're training/breeding them.

MMan + Lando-T would be a solid starting voltturn core

e: on second thought, if i had to do this my initial 6 would be: mew, suicune, lando-t, raikou, lucario, mhoundoom probably for a good spread of type diversity (don't want mman AND raikou) as well as not being shitty. Unfortunately Mdoom is kind of shitty so that's a problem

If you dont have all legendaries I can see a few pokemon that can work Arcanine, MManetric, Granbull, Meowstic, Stoutland/furfrou/Purloin. I create really unbalanced teams, they work 7/10 times but can get beaten easily, if you want them then just tell me Ill post them here

I'm also unfamiliar with competitive rules. What Legendaries are banned from play? Is it possible to get Legendaries strong enough for actual competition? (I think she actually wants maxed IV stats too...)

Also, are any of the Evee evolutions decent enough for battle?

Like I said, I'm pretty new to breeding and competitive play so I appreciate your help.

None are really banned but I would say most are not in OU, and in the Uber category. You can go by Smogon and look at the ranks there if you are using smogon ranks. Ofcourse in Smogon, MRay is banned, and such. Generally the mascots are the Ubers, and everyone else is fair game.

Short of soft resetting or hacking, you're pretty much out of luck when it comes to perfect IVs or ideal natures on Legends. Seeing as they can't be bred, you are pretty much down to luck or RNGing for stats.

Also, how exactly are you playing competitively, because this could really hinder your choices.

Also, are any of the Evee evolutions decent enough for battle?

I've found that Umbreon can work pretty well in a cleric role, with Heal Bell, Wish, Protect, Moonlight, Toxic, and Foul Play among other things. I'd have to say that Umbreon reminds me more of a cat than a dog.

A few of the Eeveelutions are decent / strong in a competitive environment.

Sylveon is OU, given Fairy typing. With Pixelate, STAB Hyper Voice is a powerful attacking move. It also can function as a cleric with Heal Bell and Wish. It is a good special tank, but limited in physical stats. It can function as a strong Choice Specs attacker as well (Hyper Voice / Psychock / Shadow Ball / Baton Pass)

Jolteon was solidly in OU until the most recent generation. It has a blistering speed of 130, which outspeeds pretty much everything. It has solid special attack and access to Volt Switch (so you could feasibly run a switch team if you picked the two eevees). Weakness comes in coverage (Thunderbolt / Signal Beam / Shadow Ball isn't great) and the only real way to really fix that is to get lucky and end up with HP Ice.

Vaporeon is OU as well. It has high HP, decent attack and access to Scald. It can Baton Pass as well (see above). It functions best as Wish / Support.

Those are the most viable Eevees off the top of my head. Sylveon is definitely the most viable of the set.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom