• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Pokemaster Justin

Lets Do It.
Reaction score
I thought we could have a thread here because it pertains to the anime, and to discuss the various edits and things that Dogasu finds taht no one else does.

He's even doing Kanto again I'm excited!! He usually had a lot to work with then so it's interesting to see him go their again.

For example I never knew that stadium had Japanese writing on it in the latest comparison he put up

X3 I love Dogasu's website! I go there to read the episode comparisons. :D So awesome that he's doing more Kanto~

Ah, he's doing season one again! That's nice! =D

And yeah, I agree. I find Dogasu's comparisons to be very interesting. His site is also helpful, if you wanna know all the differences between the dub and the Japanese version. ^^

Alhough, personally, I'm not bothered by most of the changes made to the dub (outside of the cough *VA switch* cough).

Of course, I can understand why everyone's so upset about the music being replaced, because that does bother me somewhat. But overall, I'm satisfied with the dub keeping at least a small portion of the Japanese BGM.

Hehe, you're being honored for your work, Dogasu! XD

This is like the Dogasu appreciation thread. ^^

Oh, I love this site! I love the comparisons, it's always so interesting to find out what has been changed and how it was in the original. Although, I found some Indio League edits myself just by watching them through because I've got US Indigo League DVDs and play them on a UK TV so the 4Kids computer edits stick out more than they usually do XD

I also go to Dogasu's website for the comparisons. It's pretty interesting to see the how the dub actually butchers the original versions in earlier seasons. I only started watching Pokémon RAWs from last year, so it's some catching up to do for earlier seasons.

hey Dogasu, I think you got the name "Daisuke" mixed up with the word "daisuki". As far as I know, "Daisuke" is just a common, everyday name (as is the case with a lot of characters in the franchise), though for what it's worth, it's often spelled with the 大 "dai" (big) kanji. Fitting Daisuke's sense of elitism, perhaps? BTW, is anyone else disappointed that we couldn't even see at least one of his other monsters? Poor (albeit deserving) bastard goes on about all the other Pokemon he catches, but gets fried before he could throw out a single ball.

Oh, and for anyone interested, the PokeAni contributor goes by the name "Kamacho". It's really hard to miss (for those who know as much as basic kana, at least), so I guess Dogasu just didn't particularly care to mention it.

Last edited:
I'm probably the only one that enjoys reading the comparisons for the current episodes. Not like I don't like the older ones a bit more, but it's interesting to see some of the weird dialog mistakes PUSA puts in.

Edit: Just read the latest comparison. Wow... just when I thought 4Kids couldn't look any more incompetent than they already do. Not only is it hard to fathom why that guy thought Charmander would only be in one episode, but it bothers me how they don't seem to care. He'll just be in one episode so we'll just throw any voice out there? And they don't seem bothered by how little effort they're putting in the show? Good grief.

Last edited:
I also go to Dogasu's website for the comparisons. It's pretty interesting to see the how the dub actually butchers the original versions in earlier seasons. I only started watching Pokémon RAWs from last year, so it's some catching up to do for earlier seasons.

I wouldn't say butchered it at all....I actually like paint edits :) but that's just me.

I didn't like how they replaced music even in Kanto - I was so mad when rewatching that the first time that we get to hear the sad piano music that Kanto almost always ends with at episode 7 when it was played many times before that...

Dogusa's site is awesome. I love his humor about how the dubbing companies goof up sometimes. He/She runs a great site. Keep up the great work Dogusa.

Charmander's updated comparison episode is up!

I hope Dogasu can actually finish Indigo this time since he's doing them again - he only has a handful of episodes left to go, and it would be awesome if he just gets this out of the way now.

I'm interested to see the later Kanto ones as well.

How on earth did Haigney not know that Charmander was going to be a main Pokemon in the group as well?? They got the episodes 52 in advance, so you'd think they'd at least know certain key plot poitns.

I rather liked Charmander's voice, so its no big deal the way he did it to me.

Speaking strictly about the episodes, I always loved the way Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Charizard became such important Pokemon to the series. They were all handled very well as characters and Pokemon.

It was a sad day when Johto came along and all these great Pokemon got replaced with the Johto starters. To this day I think one of the major reasons why people started to hate Johto was the departure of Charizard and Squirtle...and eventually Bulbasaur. Call me nostalgic, but there was something special about Ash's original team that the Johto starters just lacked.

Are you kidding, Scott? The Johto starters rocked. o.o The problems were that the writers didn't do anything with them, aside from Chikorita/Bayleef.

Anyway, I don't see TR'S suits being based off those Doraemon aliens either... Looks more like a coincidence.

I'll say this.

Totodile, Chicorita, and Cyndaquil all have more personalities than the starting Indigo ones.

However, the Indigo characters were fourtante to have good storys based around them...at a time when the series was still doing something new and fresh so that's why their a bit more memorable than the Johto ones.

I rewatched the Indigo sries all recently, and they were just his original Pokemon.

Chickorita loved Ash
Cyndaquil was timid
Totodile danced

I believe that the others were just victims or poor storytelling/not having that much follow up to them.

I'd consider Totodile's dancing more of a gimmick myself.

That's kind of what Johto was. Gimmicks. Chikorita had a crush on Ash. Noctowl was shiny and uncharacteristically large. Totodile danced whenever it was called out. Phanpy was a baby Pokemon.

None of these really affected the overall plotline, whereas in Diamond & Pearl, Buizel's pride, Aipom's love of all things contest, Chimchar's abandonment issues, etc. have all been addressed.

Yash I think you mean small for Noctowl, and I agree with you completely. Totodile dancing really didn't do much, and at least for me lost its appeal after like the 30th time. It got old just like everything else that was constantly repeated and not improved upon in Johto.

Pokemaster Justin said:
How on earth did Haigney not know that Charmander was going to be a main Pokemon in the group as well?? They got the episodes 52 in advance, so you'd think they'd at least know certain key plot poitns.

Especially since Michael Haigney was a head writer for the series. You'd think that by the time they got to dubbing the eleventh episode (assuming they dubbed these in order) they'd have a basic grasp of how certain aspects of the show work.

I think it'd be hilarious if Mr. Haigney ended up being the one who actually wrote the Charmander episode. That would make his comments even more ridiculous.

monkeyjb1988 said:
He/She runs a great site.

He :)

Back
Top Bottom