• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

@Dogasu, I also wanted to ask. At the end of DP191 on the rental DVD, did they have a BW or DP style thirty second episode preview for BW001?
Have you been able to find this out yet, Dogasu? I'm wondering if a proper episode preview even exists for BW001, BW style or DP style.

Well, they can talk about two different things, in same scene.
Maybe. Though since the crux of that scene was Caterpie talking to Pikachu and daydreaming about flying as a Butterfree, we're going to have to assume that it didn't have much to do with the roundness of the moon. :p

Looked at the Mewtwo Strikes Back comparison and there was one part where I think Dogasu was nitpicking a bit:

Also, did 4Kids think they were helping explain something here? That the lab assistants called Giovanni, and that's why he was just happening to fly by after the lab exploded? Because if you spend just a few seconds thinking about it, Giovanni would have had to have already been airborne and just about to arrive at the island for him to be able to make it there so soon after its destruction. You don't just "radio a helicopter" and then have said helicopter arrive less than two minutes later.

This complaint kind of falls flat if you consider the possibility that Giovanni was coming to the lab for a personal progress report, and that the scientists wanted to immediately inform him about Mewtwo's birth.

When you see the movie, you should pay attention to the score and see if it fits the whole "past vs future" concept Yuyama was talking about.

...Rocket-Dan Sonansu listed as being in the main movie...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
:202:

Got anything you want me to look out for when I go to the theaters?

Can you look our for frickin Sonansu please?!?!?! If his being in the movie's credits is more than just an error, I swear I will cry tears of joy!
(And also how are Musashi, Kojiro and Nyasu written and what are they up to? :p)

The Rocket trio is in this movie, and they're actually in-character, which is nice. And, despite what it says in the end credits, their Sonansu does not appear in the main movie. I guess whoever typed those up was thinking about the Pikachu short at the time? Anyway, I'm sure it'll be fixed for the DVD / Blu-ray.

So Sonansu wasn't in the movie... Shame, I was hoping for that, at least. At least Rocket Gang was in-character.

Nymphia said:
Dogasu, I just saw your new entry of the Mewtwo Monday and I have more questions to you.

-Is possible that the movie is meant to be the end of the Pokemon series like many people suggest?

No. The decision to extend the series past the originally planned year and a half mark would have already been made by the trailer came out.

-Do you think that the reason why this trailer isn't in the DVD is because the trailer will cause too much confusion?

Maybe? I'd still like it so that we're not stuck with these grainy YouTube videos of it, but it doesn't seem like anyone has any intentions of releasing it.

Because you don't expect to have many time to do all the comparisons, I think that if I were you, I'll do the comparison of these episodes

I actually do have a plan for episode comparisons, believe it or not. I'm not going to divulge that here, but some of the episodes you listed are on there.

I prefer that you do a comparison of "Princess vs Princess" but I now who terrible is.

I'm holding out on a Japanese DVD release of that (come on, Media Factory, can't you give us at least one more "Best Collection" DVD release before the end of BW?) so I can have a good quality version of the episode to make screencaps from. I don't want to take dozens of crappy looking caps and then have to turn around and cap those all over again because a better looking version of the episode is released.

SammyW27 said:
Heck, I sometimes wonder if they made this teaser before Mew (and to a lesser extent the Gen 2 Pokes) came into the equation

Well, the movie is Myuutwo Strikes Back, and I think it's extremely unlikely that there was ever a point where they were going to have a Myuutwo movie *not* feature Myuu in it.

Masato said:
So Dogasu, I am wondering why there is such a big difference in the opinion you express towards the story and dub in the original comparison and in the new comparison for Mewtwo Returns. In the original comparison, you praised Mewtwo Returns as having one of the best stories in Pokemon but in the new comparison you say the story is meh. Also, in the original comparison you said the dub was decent if not good while in the new comparison you say the dub is just as horrible if not worse than the dub for Mewtwo Strikes Back. Did a second viewing change your opinion?

A few things happened. One, my Japanese is leaps and bounds above what it used to be when I did the first version of that comparison (2001? 2002?), so I can more easily see all the changes 4Kids made to the script. Maybe I was working off a crappy fansub back in the early 2000s, one that based a lot of its "translations" on the dub dialogue, and that's what threw me off? Maybe I mistook the lack of cuts and paint edits to be a sign of a good dub? *shrugs*

As far as the story of the actual special goes...I think everybody's tastes are a little different from what they were ten years ago. A decade ago I was probably super excited about there being a new thing with Myuutwo no matter what the story was, but here in the year 2013 I look at these things with a much more critical eye. I'm sure we've all encountered things we liked when we were younger only to come back to it some time later and think "wait, I liked that!?!?!?"

Fennekin said:
I also wanted to ask. At the end of DP191 on the rental DVD, did they have a BW or DP style thirty second episode preview for BW001?

No, there's no 30 second preview for the first episode of Best Wishes!. There are a few general BW promos that have footage from various episodes, but none specific to episode one.

KingMan said:
This complaint kind of falls flat if you consider the possibility that Giovanni was coming to the lab for a personal progress report, and that the scientists wanted to immediately inform him about Mewtwo's birth.

We didn't need 4Kids' line to convey that message since we see his helicopter show up regardless. The dub dialogue didn't add anything to the scene.

A few things happened. One, my Japanese is leaps and bounds above what it used to be when I did the first version of that comparison (2001? 2002?), so I can more easily see all the changes 4Kids made to the script. Maybe I was working off a crappy fansub back in the early 2000s, one that based a lot of its "translations" on the dub dialogue, and that's what threw me off? Maybe I mistook the lack of cuts and paint edits to be a sign of a good dub? *shrugs*

As far as the story of the actual special goes...I think everybody's tastes are a little different from what they were ten years ago. A decade ago I was probably super excited about there being a new thing with Myuutwo no matter what the story was, but here in the year 2013 I look at these things with a much more critical eye. I'm sure we've all encountered things we liked when we were younger only to come back to it some time later and think "wait, I liked that!?!?!?"

LOL, I remeber a fansub that had ash cussing (stuff like "damn" and a few others) and for years I actually thought he did in the original version (turns out he did'nt, in that episode). ^^; Now the only cuss word I have heard is "Goddamn" from lt surge from (via your comparason of the episode of his appearance) the OS series episode and I don't think they even cuss there.

Anyway, yeah although I have followed your site since the first year it launched (I randomly discovered it around summer/fall 2000 at the age of 11), I really noticed a huge improvement in everything from the past 13 years on the site,especially around 2003/2004.

Always interesting reading the differences between Movies and their Manga versions.

Though I have a question (and anyone can answer, not just Dogasu): In that bit at the end of the Manga where Genesect has that vision with the cameos (bet some people are wishing that had happened in the film), who's the little kid with the Jigglypuff and the dude with the Arcanine:confused: I recognize the others, but them.

I thought the dude with the Arcanine was supposed to be Ritchie.

He didn't have one in the show, but that's who I thought of looking at him.

Sooooo, Dogasu, what do you think of Mega Evolutions?

Tendou Soujirou said:
I thought the dude with the Arcanine was supposed to be Ritchie.

He didn't have one in the show, but that's who I thought of looking at him.

I can't think of who else that would be.

Sooooo, Dogasu, what do you think of Mega Evolutions?

They're...alright? I'm a bit surprised that Game Freak is going to the trouble of making up brand new character designs when most other games with beserk modes / limit breaks just have their characters glow and call it a day, but I guess they're really trying to go all out this Generation.

So the Orange Archipelago is based off of the Galapagos Islands, then? I always thought they was based off of the Ryukyu Islands.

The newest write up about Nakagawa Shouko was interesting, but I couldn't help but feel that it was kind of redundant. I mean it was nice to get insight into her life and how she's been affected by the franchise, but I personally didn't think it was necessary. I would really love to read an episode comparison instead. I mean I literally can't even remember when the last one was posted; it must have been several months prior to the Mewtwo stuff, which I thought was unnecessary in and of itself. Just my opinion.

MizuTaipu said:
So the Orange Archipelago is based off of the Galapagos Islands, then?

We can't say that. The book never expands on this footnote, so for all we know the trip took place before the first episode ever aired. The islands are home to a lot of weird animals, so it's possible that the staff of the TV series went out there to check some of them out and get ideas. We don't know.

Michonne said:
The newest write up about Nakagawa Shouko was interesting, but I couldn't help but feel that it was kind of redundant.

I'm not sure what was redundant about it. The overwhelming majority of the information on that page can't be found on any other English-language website. That alone makes it worth the time and effort to me.

I mean I literally can't even remember when the last one was posted; it must have been several months prior to the Mewtwo stuff, which I thought was unnecessary in and of itself.

The Myuutwo comparisons were very necessary. The older ones were terrible and were in desperate need of replacing.

I wonder if Pokemon would've been as popular if the encounter rate was as high as that book claims it originally was? I mean, even the current amount of encounters in, say, Chargestone Cave in BW is already a bit ridiculous. Then again, tons of classic old-school RPGs had pretty crazy and unforgiving encounter rates, so maybe not.

Well it was nice reading a positive perspective about Nakagawa Shouko.

Quick mistake I noticed.

People got upset when the "new" pokemon that was going to debut in HeartGold and SoulSilver ended up being something as lame as a Pichu with a weird ear and became even more aggravated when they saw it get shoved down our throats throughout the summer of 2012. The intrusive "find Pichu" game that was inserted in the TV episodes that were airing at the time, the song Get Fired Up, Spiky-Eared Pichu, an annoying chiptune piece of "music" that had some of the most eye-rollingly bad lyrics in the franchise...people were sick of her by the time Fall 2012 came around.

Wrong year.

Hey, you finally like Shokotan now? Took you some time, but I'm glad you finally saw the light :p

Back
Top Bottom