• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Wonder will that number skyrocket if the next film proves to be what it is being sold as in today's trailer...
It should, but then a lot of original series fans are actually in their 30s and may be parents. So even the number of kid viewers could increase due to parental influence.

And personally, if I were a kid I'd be more curious about Ash's origins than yet another movie loosely connected to the current series.

Last edited:
Always interesting reading prediction comparisons :D

And I get what he's saying about Movie 20, but we're just working with what we know thus far. I for one am prepared to adjust my expectations as we go along, as always. After all, the people in the Movie Division are just winging it.

ii kanji said:
Sir, what on earth is that adorable Koiking video you posted on Twitter?

It was a video made by the Pokemon Daisuki Club for God only knows what reason. It was also one of the best songs releases of 2016 (though the number one spot obviously goes to Rocket-Dan Danka).

SammyW27 said:
And I get what he's saying about Movie 20, but we're just working with what we know thus far.

Just be aware that we we actually "know" right now is very, very little.

After all, the people in the Movie Division are just winging it.

I wouldn't go that far. Everything they're doing may *seem* completely random and haphazard to us, the viewing public, but believe me there isn't anything that's being done with these films that hasn't been carefully planned out months and months in advance.

The history of misleading promos and posters is one reason why I'm cautious about all of the hype and speculation for the movie too. The idea that they are going for a movie reboot of the original series is certainly possible and it would make sense from a marketing and financial perspective too, but it's not a guarantee right now at least.

Arceus knows they'll most likely try to put something, be it big or small, from Generation 7 into this sucker...:cautious:

I'm still kind of expecting them to include something from the SM series in the movie, but something related to the seventh generation is most likely going to happen.

I read through the predictions for this yea and Pokemon was definitely one of the highlights of 2016. It certainly was nice to have stuff like Sun/Moon and Pokemon Go as happy distractions and I hope that the series continues to do well in the new year too.

There were many misleading teasers before, but many of them were true in some way or form. The evil Satoshi from the Zoroark movie did appear as Zoura masquerading Satoshi with its illusion powers. Likewise, Absol was a prominent and arguably important Pokémon in the Jirachi Wishmaker movie. While Jackie and his Ranger gear were still in the Manaphy movie while Kyogre did appear in the climax. And the Primals and Mega Rayquaza poster featured the Hoopa Ring, and all of them did appear in the movie. The misleading aspects are relatively minor, trailer footage if you will. But when you have a combination of the title "I Choose You", a picture of Satoshi and Pikachu looking at Ho-Oh, trailer footage (which is likely not going to be in film) featuring Satoshi wearing the familiar but obviously redesigned OS outfit, the original Japanese theme playing and being released on the 2oth anniversary of the Pokémon Anime, the chances of this film misleading the premise are quite low.

We should also account the Ash-Pikachu that is hidden in the Sun and Moon data. He has all the hats from the show, and has a special Z-crystal. Perhaps they are holding off the event Mythical Pokémon (which are relatively few this time around) and all of the Legendaries and Ultra Beasts to do this special occasion. And perhaps the Ash-Pikachu is the loophole excuse of doing a 20th anniversary while also promoting the games.

What else could draw kids to buy Sun and Moon through this movie other than "Hey kids, you like this movie and Ash's Pikachu? If you buy the games right now and bring it to theaters, you too can get your own Ash's Pikachu, complete with his hats." It worked for Ash-Greninja in the Sun and Moon demo.

By the way, did that Mewtwo teaser for Pokémon 3 gave the movie the official title? Or was the movie unnamed back then, and it was like that Generation VII starter teaser after the 19th movie?

To be clear, I'm not saying that the teasers were 100% bullshit. But, nobody was looking at the teaser poster for the first Advanced Generation movie, for example, and correctly predicting that it was going to be a road trip adventure where our heroes lead a Jirachi to its home and then end up having this big final battle against a weird Groudon-like monster. No, people looked at that poster and thought that Absol was going to be the main villain and that the movie would be about our heroes fighing off the various disasters it causes or something like that.

And check out all the theories that sprung up when that Diancie teaser poster was revealed. This was not that long ago!

This year's movie being a reboot or a retelling is certainly a possibility, yes, and maybe even a likely one at that. But before we all jump the gun and talk about how it's obviously going to be a reboot movie, I mean what else could it be?, we should take a moment to remember that our first impressions are usually dead wrong.

(Also, the third movie's title was announced in that teaser trailer, yes)

A collection of teasers in question (through 2006, minus the very first movie one that keeps getting deleted off of YouTube for some reason):

Back then, I thought that shot of Mewtwo in a cave was just going to be a cameo in the movie rather than a comeback. lol Interesting when looking back, it does kind of look like a call forward to Pures Rock and its eventual special even if it didn't appear in the third movie.

Anyways, I think they're being pretty obvious this time around, unless they pull a fast one on us in the vein of "Pocket Monsters: I Choose You! [crash boom sudden addition to subtitle] THE ULTRA BEAST THAT LEAPT THROUGH TIME" or some jazz in a newer trailer.

Last edited:
Mewtwo's inclusion in the third movie is something that was considered in 1999. Shudo admitted as much in his blog; the producers probably settled on a Charizard return and a Mewtwo special instead.

SammyW27 said:
Arceus knows they'll most likely try to put something, be it big or small, from Generation 7 into this sucker...
It's called 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt.

Anyways, I think they're being pretty obvious this time around, unless they pull a fast one on us in the vein of "Pocket Monsters: I Choose You! [crash boom sudden addition to subtitle] THE ULTRA BEAST THAT LEAPT THROUGH TIME" or some jazz in a newer trailer.
Wary as I'm trying (and failing) to be, the Pocket Monsters headline is what makes me more hopeful that they can't/won't pull that kind of a fast one on us.

I'm still kind of expecting them to include something from the SM series in the movie, but something related to the seventh generation is most likely going to happen.

Yeah. They ALWAYS throw in stuff for promotional reasons in these. If they can shoe-horn Mega-Evolution in the Kanto story for Origins, they can have something from Sun & Moon here.

At most, an Ultra Beast or Mythical Pokémon will muscle its way in to play a part (Marshadow, anyone?). At the very least, a brand new Pokémon that doesn't do anything but they'll be lik "HEY LOOK! A NEVER BEFORE SEEN POKEMON!"

Also, here's another thing that makes me question this...

Do we really want Kanto adventures for a THIRD time? (4th if you count the Battle Frontier. (5th you count Genretions))

Last edited:
Yeah. They ALWAYS throw in stuff for promotional reasons in these. If they can shoe-horn Mega-Evolution in the Kanto story for Origins, they can have something from Sun & Moon here.

At most, an Ultra Beast or Mythical Pokémon will muscle its way in to play a part (Marshadow, anyone?). At the very least, a brand new Pokémon that doesn't do anything but they'll be lik "HEY LOOK! A NEVER BEFORE SEEN POKEMON!"

Also, here's another thing that makes me question this...

Do we really want Kanto adventures for a THIRD time? (4th if you count the Battle Frontier. (5th you count Genretions))

Origins was proof that you don't need a next-gen Pokémon to get people hyped to buy the games. You just need the right gimmick to draw their attention. Mega Evolution was the gimmick for XY, that's why Origins promoted Mega Charizard X. Z-Moves are the new gimmicks in SM. And we know of an exclusive Z-crystal that is named after Ash's Pikachu. 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt.

Besides, like I said, the Mythical Pokémon formula has worn out its welcome. And we have fewer Mythical Pokémon than ever before. If they waste Mashadow for this movie, then they have virtually nothing for next year. And before you say Ultra Beasts, keep in mind that the anime is more willingly to use Legendaries in the main TV series these days. It worked for XY&Z, and Ultra Beasts are essential to Lillie's story arc.

This is the 20th anniversary of the anime. I prefer it handles marketing promotions the same way as Origins did for Gen VI. And yes, I am willingly to go back to Kanto, if only to see Ash revisit his roots after all these years.

Since it's close to Backback's aniversarry, I'm wondering if we'll have a new Pokemon core game this year... Waiting for Dogasu's prediction on that.

I doubt it'd be a DP remake yet, would it be sequels again? Or no new core for 2017? (I hope it's not a third version)

Here in Latin America Netflix currently has episodes 1-72 of the XY series, the Diancie movie and the episodes 1-52 of Kanto. The Kanto episodes are their original versions, except for episode 7, which was redubbed less than 2 years ago, no one knows why.

In the past they've owned the whole Best Wishes series, movies 14-16, and the Kanto episodes 53-104.

There's also some other legal and popular site that has seasons 10-11, I don't remember exactly which one.

Since it's close to Backback's aniversarry, I'm wondering if we'll have a new Pokemon core game this year... Waiting for Dogasu's prediction on that.

I doubt it'd be a DP remake yet, would it be sequels again? Or no new core for 2017? (I hope it's not a third version)
I'm hoping for sequels myself especially if they have something significant planned with Lillies character

I don't exactly know what happens to Lillie since I haven't beat the game yet xD But who knows what they could do? Hope we have a Mega Evolution subplot again, so weird it's pretty gone this gen so far (excepting trades and Pokemon Bank)

Back
Top Bottom