• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Happy Anniversary to Dogasu's Backpack. One more year and your site will be old enough to have an American high school diploma. :p I'm excited for that big project (or April Fool's prank? :D) that's coming in April.

(Also, it's kinda funny reading those posts you made in 2000 talking about shows like Cardcaptor Sakura or Cowboy Bebop instead of Pokémon).

Congratulations for your site's birthday! It's truly an special date. Looking foward to your projects, and that April 1st special personally. However, if it's an April Fools Joke as the previous user said my personal opinion is that

a site that says the English is the original version and the Japanese is the dub would be funnier than a Yokai Watch site.

Some users aren't going to like your thoughts on Stars and Movie 20...

My prediction is that Ash will stay in school, and we will see trials 2-4. They could rush more but Ash's team is really barebones now.

Congrats Koffing! (doing a nod to the international name of the Pokemon)

Funny I was still a kid in preschool when this website was created, and my country still had dial-up connection for most people.

Some users aren't going to like your thoughts on Stars and Movie 20...
Eh. I don't really understand the Stars prediction (if you believe the rumor, the game has been in the making for some time, and it is just a glorified port) and the movie one just seems short-sighted to me. Why not make a prediction about the actual movie rather than just calling it a one-off? It's cowardly.

Likewise, the prediction about the show reverting to a typical adventure is at odds with the Kiawe episode showing how easily Ash can fly to any destination.

I won't go so far as to say that the 20th movie, I Choose You!, is definitely not going to be a retelling of the first couple of episodes, but I will at least say that I don't think it's going to be the start of some trilogy. Why in the world would I think that? Instead, I think whatever they end up doing this year will be a one-off thing and that next year we'll go right back to showcasing the legendary of the day.

I dunno...THAT depends on how well it does at the Box Office...:unsure:

If it's successful enough--and chances are fairly even--they may decide to do reimaginings of the other sagas. Especially since the way they've been doing things just isn't cutting it anymore (and hasn't for years). And while I'm likely wrong, I get this funny feeling it might do better than the last few movies (even though that wouldn't take much...)

I dunno...THAT depends on how well it does at the Box Office...:unsure:

If it's successful enough--and chances are fairly even--they may decide to do reimaginings of the other sagas. Especially since the way they've been doing things just isn't cutting it anymore (and hasn't for years). And while I'm likely wrong, I get this funny feeling it might do better than the last few movies (even though that wouldn't take much...)

Movies have a 1 year production period, which goes from June to June, so you could say they take their decisions based on the box office figures from two movies ago + The available information. They could do some small changes in marketing based on its performance, through.

If it's successful enough--and chances are fairly even--they may decide to do reimaginings of the other sagas.
I doubt that. The ratings aren't even comparable.

And I don't know why people think that a single movie can be an adaptation of an entire saga without resulting in a mess. I would hope that they're planning more than one movie based on the original series if they want to do something of actual substance.

Last edited:
Silktree said:
Mewtwo's inclusion in the third movie is something that was considered in 1999. Shudo admitted as much in his blog; the producers probably settled on a Charizard return and a Mewtwo special instead.

The fact that Mewtwo wasn't going to end up being in the film after all was something that would have been decided way before that first teaser trailer was released in late 2000. They knew it was a bullshit scene and yet they left it in anyway.

Shadao said:
and Ultra Beasts are essential to Lillie's story arc

In the games, sure. But the TV series has already taken so many liberties with Lillie's story (hi Cosmog!) that trying to predict how it's going to handle her story based on what happens to her in the video games is going to end up with a lot of disappointments. Just ask N's fans.

(they could still absolutely incorporate the Ultra Beasts in Lillie's story at some point down the road, of course, but they could also just as easily not)

MizuTaipu said:
I'm guessing you have an Amazon Prime account, Dogasu?

I have accounts for all three of the sites I profiled.

(Also, it's kinda funny reading those posts you made in 2000 talking about shows like Cardcaptor Sakura or Cowboy Bebop instead of Pokémon).

You have no idea how hard I cringe every time I read something I wrote in those early years!

But, to be fair, a lot of websites were kind of doing the same sort of "I'll use my one website to talk about everything I like!" sort of thing back in those days.

GalacticRonpa said:
I was still a kid in preschool when this website was created

Wow, that doesn't make me feel old at all!

Silktree said:
I don't really understand the Stars prediction (if you believe the rumor, the game has been in the making for some time, and it is just a glorified port)

Game Freak has never released a main series Pocket Monsters game the same year a new piece of Nintendo hardware has gone on the market. Stars coming out in 2017 is possible but would also be completely unprecedented.

I think a spin-off game for the Switch is much, much more likely.

and the movie one just seems short-sighted to me. Why not make a prediction about the actual movie rather than just calling it a one-off? It's cowardly.

You know just as well as I do that we don't actually know anything about the new movie. I'm not going to start pulling theories out of my ass just to fill up a list of predictions for a website's anniversary.

Last edited:
Game Freak has never released a main series Pocket Monsters game the same year a new piece of Nintendo hardware has gone on the market. Stars coming out in 2017 is possible but would also be completely unprecedented.
So far the initial games for any system have been new generation entries. And the Switch isn't your typical handheld system. So the Stars rumor is all about not following the precedent...

You can either believe it or not, but I find it weird for you to only single out the release date.

I think a spin-off game for the Switch is much, much more likely.
They have time until November.

You know just as well as I do that we don't actually know anything about the new movie. I'm not going to start pulling theories out of my ass just to fill up a list of predictions for a website's anniversary.
So you only make predictions when you can draw a comparison to something that has happened before? Okay.

Do you really find it that hard to speculate about the extent to which the movie will be based on the original series?

Last edited:
Well, I like speculation in general. When someone actually invites people to read his list of predictions, I expect something more interesting.

I would hope that they're planning more than one movie based on the original series if they want to do something of actual substance.

I don't know (again)...the Movies haven't had much substance since AG or the OS (I'm not quite sure which:confused:). It's gotten to where it's either Legendaries fighting (and not much a fight either), or an adventure story involving a Mythical and a villain with elements that feel like they're form a different series. The XY Movies, while having their moments, were mainly just going through the motions. So I'm not sure how much substance they'll try to put into this one, even if it's the Anniversary and/or they're desperate.

Heck, I'm not even sure how much substance one can really get from Kanto/Gen 1 to begin with :unsure:. Especially since it's been done so many times there's little they can do with it without it feeling tired/rehashed...:cautious:
Though I'd like to be wrong.

Last edited:
Heck, I'm not even sure how much substance one can really get from Kanto/Gen 1 to begin with :unsure:. Especially since it's been done so many times there's little they can do with it without it feeling tired/rehashed...:cautious:
They need to make it a proper reboot and focus on Ash's connection to Ho-Oh.

I think this year's movie is supposed to try something new. The last 2 films performed low, so why not go for nostalgia?

I'm not sure if they'll go back to the "legendary of the day" by 2018's one, however I can see OLM doing it again if this "I Choose you!" go better than most of the previous movies. In my opinion, the "LotD" formula's worn out over a decade ago...

I think this year's movie is supposed to try something new. The last 2 films performed low, so why not go for nostalgia?

I'm not sure if they'll go back to the "legendary of the day" by 2018's one, however I can see OLM doing it again if this "I Choose you!" go better than most of the previous movies. In my opinion, the "LotD" formula's worn out over a decade ago...

Maybe that's why we only have Marshadow as the typical Mythical Pokémon this time around. Maybe it's a backup movie should the 20th movie does not work out. But if the movie exceeds expectations, then maybe we'll see more of the 20th movie formula.

Last edited:
And should that happen, they could always use Marshadow for an anime arc (see Meloetta) or even incorporate it into a Kanto movie.

Maybe that's why we only have Marshadow as the typical Mythical Pokémon this time around. Maybe it's a backup movie should the 20th movie does not work out. But if the movie exceeds expectations, then maybe we'll see more of the 20th movie formal.

If that's the case (and if Marshadow gets an anime arc). Then I think this would have a paradigm shift for Mythicals. If their purpose is to promote the anime movies, then switching to a reboot format would mean that, at least no More new event only pokemon would be created. It may also mean the existing Mythicals would be more assessable one way or another, either though permanent QR codes (Magearna) or though something akin to the Delta Episode (Deoxys).

I wouldn't be too surprised in a way if the movie does turn out to be a retelling of Ash's beginning. It would make sense in a way due to the anime's 20th anniversary and how the movies have been turning out weaker sales over time. That being said, I still don't see it as a sure fire deal like a lot of fans do. We know so little about it that I think it's too sure to be sure either way. It is entirely a possibility, but not a guarantee.

^ We're just working with the evidence thus far, even if it isn't much.

I for one am not set on anything and am prepared for whatever changes come up.

For all we know, this could be a feature length version of the first episode of Generations with, oh...10-20 minute segments encompassing ALL of Ash's journey with generalized highlights.
Just sayin'.

For all we know, this could be a feature length version of the first episode of Generations with, oh...10-20 minute segments encompassing ALL of Ash's journey with generalized highlights.
Just sayin'.
Please no.

Why would they re-design Ash, giving him a new hat, if they were just going to show the highlights of all the series?

Your idea would be nice for a series of shorts shown on TV and online, though.

Back
Top Bottom