• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

I like how this is a Season 2 episode ("Princess vs. Princess"), yet it has the most paint edits in the entire 4Kids dub of any of the 400+ episodes they dubbed or Movies, and it has one of the poorest scripts in their dub.

This is coming from someone who strongly prefers the 4Kids dub to the TPCi dub, and thinks it was far better than people give it credit for on the whole lately (on this site): this was not a good episode for their dub, even I'll admit it.

(Ironically I think Seasons 2 [beginning with the Orange Islands portion, namely] & 3 were the best the English dub of the Anime has ever been, though, one bad episode doesn't invalidate all the good 4Kids did there in my book).

Last edited:
"Princess vs Princess" is the episode that started the trend of turning Team Rocket into Musashi and her lackeys.

Last edited:
*reads Side Note about hina dolls*

DAY-UM, DAUGHTER! :eek:

Those better be some effing great dolls...:confused:

Musashi became the unofficial leader of the trio and boss them around. She also turned into a more violent version of Kasumi and acting in a very abusive way towards her teammates. She also gets much nore spotlight compared to her teammates.
Whilst I think this is anyway an oversimplification (and not really the case since BW), why do you think "it" started in this episode?

Whilst I think this is anyway an oversimplification (and not really the case since BW)
True, it became somewhat waned with time. But Musashi is still the boss in most episodes.
why do you think "it" started in this episode?
It's first signs appeared in this episode. It's remarkable that in this episode Kojiro and Nyasu are following her orders only because it's a special day, but within few seasons this became status quo of how their team works.

I agree that in AG there was a lot of Musashi giving orders, but otherwise (this episode included) I feel that the dynamic is more that Musashi thinks she's in charge but actually Kojiro and Nyasu are just indulging her. Particularly in SM the only instance I can think of her actually leading was when the others were sleepy last episode. Otherwise she's been quite disinterested in working and the other stuff (pancake race, pokebase) has been utter indulgence.

I'd pay to see the editors' reaction to the "Super Meowth" shot.

So next week's episode has zero edits? After 10+ episodes of Japanese culture craziness I'm not convinced.

Something minor, but we do have a Children's Day in my homeland. It's actually a religious holiday that became known as such, so kids have no classes and it's a tradition to give them a gift every October 12th.

Funny to see "Meowth" being used in the episode. Probably OLM had the name already and wanted to look "cool" as you said in the comparision xD (I know it's a holiday-based one, but why not use it nevertheless?)

Do any Australian DVD releases of the regular series have closed captioning or do only the VIZ DVDs include them?

Also, which Blu-ray releases (region doesn't matter) of the movies include CC?

Do any Australian DVD releases of the regular series have closed captioning or do only the VIZ DVDs include them?

Also, which Blu-ray releases (region doesn't matter) of the movies include CC?
Unfortunately Beyond Home Entertainment never include closed captioning on their Blu-ray and DVD releases of Pokemon in Australia.

Reading some of the dialogue comparisons explains a lot of the adaptations made in Western supplemental materials such as the ani-manga and Tracey West novelizations. I've also seen the Japanese version sometimes sneak its way into TV guide episode names and descriptions.

One question, though – what was the infamous "Flaming Moltres" scene like in the Japanese version of EP157? I can already tell a lot of liberties were taken, but I wonder what the dialogue was originally. Is the scene popular with Japanese fans as well?
Ah, thanks for your reply. Any idea if the Blu-ray releases in the US and UK contain CC?
I know for a fact the US ones do not. The DVD and iTunes movies always do though.

It's interesting that they decided to let Tohru (who is kinda forgettable IMO) hang out with Satoshi and co. for three episodes, especially if he was created "just because" like you said. I wonder who different the series would be if they let COTDs like Yuki/Suzie stay longer.

The next episode is pretty interesting and one of my favorites of Kanto. Satoshi attempting to command the Rocket's Pokémon was hilarious. :)

Next episode's got something very Kanto-style in crazyness. I'm not sure if the dub version has the same line, I don't think so, but Satoshi-tachi do leave Tohru behind in the end of the episode (completely forgetting he was there).
When he shows up, carrying Trio's Nyasu, he tells Joi he blasted off when Satoshi demanded "his" Matadogas to explode.

No idea if that was supposed to be funny or just flat-out mad...

Last edited:
From the latest comparison:
"People often defend the dub's tendency to erase Japanese text without bothering to put anything in its place as a way to make the show more marketable to the foreign audiences. [...] Foreign markets don't require that and are absolutely fine with foreign text appearing on-screen"

Absolutely this. So many English dubs are always trying to westernize anime and translate/erase Japanese text, but we foreigners couldn't care less about that. Back when anime used to be translated directly from Japanese to all regions, Japanese text and references were left pretty much intact. Cartoons have never gotten the same treatment when they get dubbed to other languages either: all American food is left intact, English text is translated via voice-overs or subtitles (or not at all if it's just background), those July 4th specials or dialogues about freedom American history get dubbed and aired with no problems, etc. So yeah, language and culture differences seem to only be a problem for US dubbers, not foreign audiences.

By the way, it's kinda funny how the "Jigglypuff seen from above" joke did end up making its way to western fans. It's usually the top comment whenever Pokémon social media post a "Who's That Pokémon" pic, but I wonder how many of them actually know this was a thing in the anime.

Last edited:
For some reason, I found this at the end of the comparison funny. XD

"Whether you see this episode in Japanese or English, though, the fact remains that Satoshi and his friends just sort of leave Tohru behind, not really caring that their "friend" went missing after that big explosion. Poor Tohru, I guess they don't really give a shit about you after all!"

There were a lot more paint edits in this episode than I thought. Definitely the second highest number after the Himmatsuri episode.

I find it interesting that your new reviews are less critical of Tohru.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom