• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Join Satoshi in the Hoenn region with his beloved friends Baruka and Nasato! Re-live your childhood memories of exploring this region with a legendary we're releasing to the public next month! Buy your tickets today!

You can't just bash Michael Haigney based on a transcript from the 3rd movie 15 years ago. Especially not hearing the way he's conveying his point on the actual commentary.

I was joking.

I wouldn't say that doing 1.5x times your worst performance is exactly good.

Join Satoshi in the Hoenn region with his beloved friends Baruka and Nasato! Re-live your childhood memories of exploring this region with a legendary we're releasing to the public next month! Buy your tickets today!

A Pokemon Performer who is afraid of high temperatures and her friend is a Sylveon! A boy who falls in love easily whose friend is a Greninja!

Makoto and Souji's chances to appear again just dramatically increased.

From how things sounded it seems like makoto especially could use more screen time. Though I do still want to see the SM gang in a film at least once.

I like how TPCi can get away with rewriting "whole scenes" with Team Rocket too several times, or make their own script errors (some of which you haven't gotten to yet), but if 4Kids does the same thing? They're still worse! Sorry Dogasu, but I cannot agree in the least with your judgment there. And I'm sorry to say I also think Michael Haigney clearly wasn't being condescending, just explaining his own point of view in that sometimes some things don't work as well for their writers at times due to his perception of cultural differences (and he never actually said their writing was better outright, either, unlike James Carter Cathcart during DP's dub who explicitly said the writing was not funny at all in Japanese, that's condescending right there, IMO).

And terrible 90's slang? TPCi's dub still has "so psyched," "I'm stoked," "step on the gas," "pumped up," "power up so you can really rock that new move," "turn our power up to ten," plenty of their own slang in their dub, this problem still exists nowadays, in fact it's been honestly amplified now. Also, the writing will at least get a little better as 4Kids' dub goes on for the in terms of less volume of rewrites from the compares I read by you yourself for later sagas, so I was frankly able to tolerate it. I would personally rather have that script team back any day over TPCi's one writer who defected from 4Kids in the first place, at least they could write dialogue naturally despite some liberties, and didn't make the Rockets completely unbearable for me.

People like to say over and over again how Pokemon was 4Kids' best dub, but whenever they pull stuff like this off, I'm just reminded that it had all the problems their other dubs had, just not in such large doses.
And TPCi's dub has the exact same problems by now in terms of writing, even if they didn't take as many liberties at random intervals, so please explain why, in any way, I should like it more they either have the license/dub rights now? 4Kids frankly had some shockingly good moments with the writing, especially given the fact I've read compares where 4Kids didn't change much of the script at all in later seasons or Movies compared to these earlier ones: doesn't help TPCi's music replacing has literally been worse than anything 4Kids did since late BW began to now, on top of their writing absolutely being flawed in its own way, too. I frankly feel the writing does get a little better for 4Kids' dub in later sagas, they don't take nearly as many liberties and at points, they barely change anything in some episodes. I admit that it was of course far from perfect, but I didn't find their writing style impossible to stomach, either, unlike what we have to deal with now.

I expect a smug response back from someone, but regardless, I will stand in opposition to this claim wholeheartedly: it doesn't help Dogasu hasn't reviewed the dub from mid Unova onward, so he's unaware TPCi's writing liberties have grown as well lately.

Is it me or does Michael Haigney fumble his words a lot? :p
He's just stuttering most likely trying to explain their stance, which I feel is somewhat alright: he seemed like a nice enough guy with this Series imo, despite lacking knowledge at times.

You can't just bash Michael Haigney based on a transcript from the 3rd movie 15 years ago. Especially not hearing the way he's conveying his point on the actual commentary.

And his point about "explaining it to the US audiences" better is valid. Believe it or not there is a lot of research that goes into what consumers respond to and I'm 100% sure 4Kids did the same thing and their results led them to make the decisions they did.
I agree 100% with you: that was far too overly harsh, especially considering Haigney never said their work was explicitly better per se (unlike the current dub writer), just explained what their thought process was in their writing style.

Last edited:
And TPCi's dub has the exact same problems by now in terms of writing, even if they didn't take as many liberties at random intervals, so please explain why, in any way, I should like it more they either have the license/dub rights now? 4Kids frankly had some shockingly good moments with the writing, especially given the fact I've read compares where 4Kids didn't change much of the script at all in later seasons or Movies compared to these earlier ones: doesn't help TPCi's music replacing has literally been worse than anything 4Kids did since late BW began to now, on top of their writing absolutely being flawed in its own way, too. I frankly feel the writing does get a little better for 4Kids' dub in later sagas, they don't take nearly as many liberties and at points, they barely change anything in some episodes. I admit that it was of course far from perfect, but I didn't find their writing style impossible to stomach, either, unlike what we have to deal with now.
Yeah, I never said I liked the TPCi dub more. When I said I wanted a competent company, I meant someone like Funimation who actually respects what the original Japanese creators make. Also, the only reason why the script fared slightly better in later seasons is because 4Kids likely told the Japanese producers to cut down on the cultural references. I've given up on the dub entirely at this point due to the script rewrites and music replacement policy at TPCi, so I don't get where "anyone who criticizes the 4Kids dub must be a fan of the TPCi dub" comes from. If you read some of Dogasu's DP comparisons, you'll clearly see he's just as critical of the liberties they made as he is of 4Kids' changes.

Yeah, I never said I liked t in he TPCi dub more. When I said I wanted a competent company, I meant someone like Funimation who actually respects what the original Japanese creators make. Also, the only reason why the script fared slightly better in later seasons is because 4Kids likely told the Japanese producers to cut down on the cultural references. I've given up on the dub entirely at this point due to the script rewrites and music replacement policy at TPCi, so I don't get where "anyone who criticizes the 4Kids dub must be a fan of the TPCi dub" comes from. If you read some of Dogasu's DP comparisons, you'll clearly see he's just as critical of the liberties they made as he is of 4Kids' changes.
Modern day FUNimation would improve the dub for sure, but I'm kind of glad 4Kids started out dubbing it, because early on FUNimation was terrible with Dragonball Z at the start and GT too: we would've kept none of the OST and the script would've honestly been even worse, also the intros would've been worse too, so I think the 4Kids dub did have some merit to it, despite its flaws, that it should be given some credit for. It at the very least helped popularize the Series overseas, and I even recall it being shown in kids to Japan in a "Pokemon De English" segment at one point, so I can't say I found it too bad, personally: it wasn't the greatest dub or anything, but I could at least take it for what it was.

Not entirely true, but yes, I admit that's a factor: however, compare the script for Pikachu Short 1 to say, Pikachu Short 6, 4Kids did improve on their own merits with their writing, or compare Movie 1 or 2 to say, Movie 7's dub script, there was honestly a dramatic improvement in the script adaptations on 4Kids' end in that much imo. And yes, I've read Dogasu's compares, he criticized the script for some BW filler episodes as well, but I will in no way agree with his statement on TPCi writing being in any way better in this compare: I think it's actually worse in some ways, in fact. Also, his comment on Haigney was not entirely justified, imo.

And yeah, TPCi has censored the dub as well lately, so that's another one of 4Kids' practices they've revived and are just as guilty of themselves: I'm just saying, they have in no way fixed anything with the dub, as far as I'm concerned.

P.S. FUNi will not take Pokemon dub rights, a fan asked them on Twitter and they aren't interested in acquiring it, unfortunately: I wish they would, but they're not too interested in it.

Last edited:
Modern day FUNimation would improve the dub for sure, but I'm kind of glad 4Kids started out dubbing it, because early on FUNimation was terrible with Dragonball Z at the start and GT too: we would've kept none of the OST and the script would've honestly been even worse, also the intros would've been worse too, so I think the 4Kids dub did have some merit to it, despite its flaws, that it should be given some credit for. It at the very least helped popularize the Series overseas, and I even recall it being shown in kids to Japan in a "Pokemon De English" segment at one point, so I can't say I found it too bad, personally: it wasn't the greatest dub or anything, but I could at least take it for what it was.

Not entirely true, but yes, I admit that's a factor: however, compare the script for Pikachu Short 1 to say, Pikachu Short 6, 4Kids did improve on their own merits with their writing, or compare Movie 1 or 2 to say, Movie 7's dub script, there was honestly a dramatic improvement in the script adaptations on 4Kids' end in that much imo. And yes, I've read Dogasu's compares, he criticized the script for some BW filler episodes as well, but I will in no way agree with his statement on TPCi writing being in any way better in this compare: I think it's actually worse in some ways, in fact. Also, his comment on Haigney was not entirely justified, imo.

And yeah, TPCi has censored the dub as well lately, so that's another one of 4Kids' practices they've revived and are just as guilty of themselves: I'm just saying, they have in no way fixed anything with the dub, as far as I'm concerned.

P.S. FUNi will not take Pokemon dub rights, a fan asked them on Twitter and they aren't interested in acquiring it, unfortunately: I wish they would, but they're not too interested in it.

Can anyone take the rights from TPCi?

I doubt that the companies involved would want anyone besides TPCI dubbing the show anyway. The purpose of TPCI taking over the license was so that they wouldn't have to deal with a third party company being involved with something like the anime. As much as fans would like the idea of Funimation taking over, they wouldn't want to go back to a third party company being in charge of the anime after 4Kids. Plus, Funimation primarily focuses on anime titles for teenagers/young adults. They aren't exactly familiar with a long running show aimed for kids, so I don't think it would fit with them particularly well. The dub quality would probably be an improvement, but I doubt that they'd be interested in dubbing Pokemon even if that was available.

Also TPCi doesn't have any reason to stop dubbing the show. They do a terrible job at it, yes, but they don't see it that way. They don't care about artistic integrity or anything like that so they're fine with butchering the soundtrack as long as it makes them more money. And there are some fans out there who actually prefer this dub over the original version or 4Kids' dub so maybe the TPCi producers actually like the product they put out. I'm not sure how popular Pokemon is with kids in the US but I don't think it's doing badly enough to force a big change in the dub.

I like how TPCi can get away with rewriting "whole scenes" with Team Rocket too several times, or make their own script errors (some of which you haven't gotten to yet), but if 4Kids does the same thing? They're still worse! Sorry Dogasu, but I cannot agree in the least with your judgment there.

He wasn't saying the TPCi dub was better than 4Kids' as a whole (I'm not sure what his stance is on that tbh), just that in this one particular way TPCi hasn't messed up like this while 4Kids did all the time. And even with Team Rocket, from what I remember from the dub, TPCi doesn't completely rewrite how entire scene work. They just make Team Rocket's dialogue so obnoxious and rhyme-filled that it doesn't even sound like real people talking, but I think the general idea of what was said in the original version is still left intact.

And even if TPCi has done this once or twice (he even said "to my knowledge") they certainly haven't done it nearly as much as 4Kids did, so it's easy to forget if they have done it. Plus just because TPCi still uses shitty outdated slang doesn't mean it was okay when 4Kids did it.

Ah heck, the very reason TPCI was made in the first was to dub the Show!

So no matter how much they mess up, we're stuck them forever :(

I wouldn't say that doing 1.5x times your worst performance is exactly good.
Actually it's one of their better box office performances.
2002 - M05 - ¥281,308,491
2003 - M06 - ¥447,642,894
2004 - M07 - ¥503,475,254
2005 - M08 - ?
2006 - M09 - ¥412,341,762
2007 - M10 - ¥780,871,178
2008 - M11 - ¥703,799,691
2009 - M12 - ¥656,947,621
2010 - M13 - ¥636,371,836
2011 - M14 - ¥528,458,031
2012 - M15 - ¥506,900,823
2013 - M16 - ¥486,097,346

2014 - M17 - ¥393,181,683
2015 - M18 - ¥383,619,976
2016 - M19 - ¥323,901,575
2017 - M20 - ¥516,261,983
The purpose of TPCI taking over the license was so that they wouldn't have to deal with a third party company being involved with something like the anime
Also TPCi doesn't have any reason to stop dubbing the show
Isn't DuArt dubbing the show now?

Last edited:
Isn't DuArt dubbing the show now?

I'm pretty sure that DuArt is just the studio where TPCI staff works at. Their website says that they're proud to to be the production facility of choice for The Pokemon Company International: DuArt Media Services | Post Production | Facility Rentals | Media Management | Audiobooks | NYC

I don't think that the TPCI dub started with working at DuArt studios, but they've been working there for a number of years. TPCI is still in charge of the dub. They just use DuArt studio for their recordings and such.

He wasn't saying the TPCi dub was better than 4Kids' as a whole (I'm not sure what his stance is on that tbh), just that in this one particular way TPCi hasn't messed up like this while 4Kids did all the time. And even with Team Rocket, from what I remember from the dub, TPCi doesn't completely rewrite how entire scene work. They just make Team Rocket's dialogue so obnoxious and rhyme-filled that it doesn't even sound like real people talking, but I think the general idea of what was said in the original version is still left intact.

And even if TPCi has done this once or twice (he even said "to my knowledge") they certainly haven't done it nearly as much as 4Kids did, so it's easy to forget if they have done it. Plus just because TPCi still uses shitty outdated slang doesn't mean it was okay when 4Kids did it.

But the thing is, 4Kids didn't mess up all the time, that may be a popular view in this small minority faction of the entire fandom, but even reading Dogasu's later compares, I don't really see that many whole scenes rewritten in the 4Kids dub (I've read every review he's done regardless of how much I've disagreed with his stances, and I think it sucks he won't even go review mid Unova onwards, but reading through many of his mid OI-Hoenn compares, half the time not much is changed, so the 4Kids dub did have its good points on the scripting too, IMO).

I'm not about to let TPCi's dub off the hook on their writing: both dubs had their highs and lows with the scripts, IMO.

"TPCi doesn't completely rewrite how entire scene work. They just make Team Rocket's dialogue so obnoxious and rhyme-filled that it doesn't even sound like real people talking"

For me, that alone makes their dialogue more unnatural and jarring than the way 4Kids worded it, as far as I'm concerned: that's all I'm going to say regarding that.

And just because 4Kids rewrote some scenes (I can acknowledge this flaw, yes, I'll admit it), doesn't mean that they didn't stop doing that later on (for the most part), or that TPCi didn't have their fair share of script rewrites either: let's not pretend here the whole 4Kids dub run should be based off its initial seasons in the writing aspect. I may not be getting likes or anything, but I'll stand in defense of this opinion, regardless of how unpopular it may be over here.

I know he thinks both dubs suck in their own special ways (as do most of you), but I couldn't disagree more with him on that, nor will I ever agree with that stance. My opinion is very close to Charmander4's own in an earlier thread, and that's all I have to say on that.

I'm pretty sure that DuArt is just the studio where TPCI staff works at. Their website says that they're proud to to be the production facility of choice for The Pokemon Company International: DuArt Media Services | Post Production | Facility Rentals | Media Management | Audiobooks | NYC

I don't think that the TPCI dub started with working at DuArt studios, but they've been working there for a number of years. TPCI is still in charge of the dub. They just use DuArt studio for their recordings and such.
TAJ dubbed it for the first two seasons of TPCi's dub, and DuArt since Season 11 to this day.

Last edited:

According to their page about Localization Production, they are responsible for:
  • Script Translations & Adaptations
  • Talent Auditions & Casting
  • Directing & Recording Talent
  • Customized Graphics
  • Sound Design & Final Mixing
  • Original Music Composition
  • Closed Captions and Subtitles
Which cover anything 4Kids used to do when they dub the show, and they even used a picture from Pokemon as an example of their work:
DuArt Media Services - Localization Production
They're also, independent from TPCI, dubbing the new seasons of Winx Club and use the same voice actors they used in Pokemon:
DuArt Film and Video Voice Cast

Last edited:
According to their page about Localization Production, they are responsible for:
  • Script Translations & Adaptations
  • Talent Auditions & Casting
  • Directing & Recording Talent
  • Customized Graphics
  • Sound Design & Final Mixing
  • Original Music Composition
  • Closed Captions and Subtitles
Which cover anything 4Kids used to do when they dub the show, and they even used a picture from Pokemon as an example of their work:
DuArt Media Services - Localization Production
They're also, independent from TPCI, dubbing the new seasons of Winx Club and use the same voice actors they used in Pokemon:
DuArt Film and Video Voice Cast

It still sounds like they're the studio that does the work for TPCI though. They call themselves a one stop studio there, but they were still hired/chosen by TPCI. They hold the license to the anime and make decisions on where to record, so they could technically choose to go to another studio if they wanted to do so. DuArt covers more of the dubbing process than I thought that they did, but I don't think that TPCI has given them completely control over the anime or at least aren't completely uninvolved with the dubbing process. They probably have to be aware of and/or approve any decisions made at DuArt since they hold the license for the anime.

TAJ dubbed it for the first two seasons of TPCi's dub, and DuArt since Season 11 to this day.

Oh yeah. That was the studio when they first started. I couldn't quite recall it at the time. I think that the studio went under and that's why they went to DuArt starting with season eleven.

You'd think that, back in 2006 when 4Kids lost the rights, the dub would move to California by like Animaze or Bang Zoom since TCPI's American headquarters are in Washington and Viz's HQ is in California, too, so production would be closer. TAJ Productions and the replacement cast must've been really cheap.

Also, wow that box office placement. The nostalgia draw for this movie waned quickly.

Yeah there definitely is a complete double standard on this site about ragging on 4Kids for relatively harmless things like minor rewrites or calling riceballs donuts (WHO CARES?) but looking the other way while TPCI does things 10x worse with their blatant arrogance and disregard for things like TR dialogue and voice direction and it's just maddening the sheer hypocrisy.

4Kids wasn't perfect and there was some stupid errors like missing game mechanics they should've caught onto and others like then infamous Arbok>Seviper goof but their scripts were smart and threw in humor and a bone to the adults who had to watch with their kids and the voice acting and directing was top notch.

I can watch any one of their episodes today and not feel like I've lost brain cells. Can't say the same for TPCI's dumbed down lowest common denominator monstrosity.

#4kidsformovie20

Back
Top Bottom