1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If your account is currently registered using an @aol.com, @comcast.net or @verizon.net email address, you should change this to another email address. These providers have been rejecting all emails from @bulbagarden.net email addresses, preventing user registrations, and thread/conversation notifications. If you have been impacted by this issue and are currently having trouble logging into your account, please contact us via the link at the bottom right hand of the forum home, and we'll try to sort things out for you as soon as possible.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Bulbagarden has launched a new public Discord server. Click Here!
    Dismiss Notice

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Discussion in 'Pokémon Anime and Manga' started by Pokemaster Justin, Sep 9, 2008.

1. kantoskies

kantoskies Prepare for over-used stock animation!

Blog Posts:
    I think there's also a non-English dub that has James pronounce his name as "Ja-ma-maes" to cover the mouthflaps....I guess 4Kids really didn't realize this would be an issue.

I've also always thought mouthflaps were the reason why they started altering the "prepare for trouble, make it double" lines in the orange islands because they were way too short to fit over the original lines.

2. martianmister

martianmister マーシャンミスター

Blog Posts:
    Ironically japanese pronounce it as jey-mi-su.

kantoskies likes this.
  3. technickal

technickal Member

Blog Posts:
    OK, "sunny side up" to "sunny side down" is one of the most arbitrary changes I've ever seen in this dub. Along with that extra line about burnt eggs and slapping text on the plant signs for some reason, I wonder if 4Kids had some sort of quota of how many changes they needed to make every episode.

Also, I had a feeling that "plenty more girls to reject you" line was dub-only. Even if it's true (Bulbapedia counts over five hundred), it still struck me as a rather out-of-character thing for Ash to say.

4. Kirby4ever

Kirby4ever Likes cute Pokemon

Blog Posts:
    It's surprising that 4Kids went to reference a slasher film when the scene shows an elderly couple quietly eating rice. Wouldn't it be easier to just make up a film title that make it sound like it's about the elderly couple missing their kids and grand kids?

martianmister and SammyW27 like this.
  5. SammyW27

SammyW27 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Ah, the start of the tradition of using Pokemon in film making. Always a treat, but the first time was the best because of how nutty they made it :LOL:

And funny you bring up Psyduck's DEM powers since he just used those a couple of weeks ago! :ROFLMAO:

Though say...what WAS "There's Nothing I Like More Than Breakfast" based on, given the Kanto Saga's habit of making Japanese pop culture references? Anyone got any ideas? o_O Because whatever it was looked like an old drama about a poor couple.
    Also, leave it to 4Kids to make a change that's even MORE awkward than what was there...Seriously, a reference to "I Know What You Did Last Summer"? Not only is that inappropriate (though to be fair, it was parodied/imitated for years, so kids may've known about the meme before the movie), but it just doesn't work in context :confused:

#2785 SammyW27, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Johtohfiller and poke trey like this.
  6. martianmister

martianmister マーシャンミスター

Blog Posts:
    They also forgot to edit the egg.
    Screenshot_2017-10-03-05-59-47.png

#2786 martianmister, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  7. ii kanji

ii kanji kiiiiiii

Blog Posts:
    Can we just take this moment to look back on Lucky Lucky - like seriously, where the f did this come from?! I still can't get over the fact that they actually used this song in the show.

(In case anyone's confused - I love this song.)

TRNatalie and Gabo2oo like this.
  8. technickal

technickal Member

Blog Posts:
    The dub of this episode is just...wow. I could tell there were plenty of dub-isms throughout, but the script was even more heavily edited than I thought. Granted, the dub lines are pretty funny in their own right, but I still don't see why 4Kids felt the need to change most all of those lines. Also, I have to say that the dub track makes the dance scene rather awkward though – so in-universe songwriters know that "Team Rocket's on the run" now?

As for the episode itself, I agree Katrina was a pretty boring character, and she didn't even show up later at the League or anything. I did like the rest of the episode, though. Cleavon Schpielbunk was an entertaining character and I'm pretty disappointed that he only shows up once more in the following episode.

9. Gabo2oo

Gabo2oo Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Kinda off-topic but, what's a "sunny side down" egg? A fried egg served with the yolk facing down?
    I didn't even know that was a thing! Dang, even the simplest of foreign cuisine customs can seem so strange to one...

ii kanji likes this.
  10. martianmister

martianmister マーシャンミスター

Blog Posts:
    Sunny side up:
    eggs-fe006757a870f68c0c9a48bf958044699860e7b7-s900-c85.jpg
    Sunny side down:
    large.jpg

SinnohEevee and Gabo2oo like this.
  11. Gabo2oo

Gabo2oo Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Is the yolk... like, inside the white?! I call witchcraft. Gotta try making those now.

SammyW27 likes this.
  12. theworldofkevinc

theworldofkevinc Now close to 900 Subscribers!

Blog Posts:
    Okay, I've never met Dogasu, but every thread I've seen him in he seems kinda rude.
    He also apparently really doesn't like the English version very much

13. martianmister

martianmister マーシャンミスター

Blog Posts:
    So, "The Kusaihana of the Botanical Garden" is basically the first of these boring "helping random CotDs" episodes that Johto had?
    In which way?

SammyW27 likes this.
  14. theworldofkevinc

theworldofkevinc Now close to 900 Subscribers!

Blog Posts:
    The way he talks about certain things
    But then again, I've only seen him around

#2794 theworldofkevinc, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  15. Charmander4

Charmander4 Member

Blog Posts:
    I’ve seen him blatantly admit he hates the dub on his Facebook page.

That’s all fine and dandy if that’s how he feels, but it certainly plays a part into why a lot of these comparisons come off as nit picky or downright whining in some cases.

16. martianmister

martianmister マーシャンミスター

Blog Posts:
    Shigeru's confirmed to be worst character ever.

SammyW27, Hidden Mew and kantoskies like this.
  17. kantoskies

kantoskies Prepare for over-used stock animation!

Blog Posts:
    I mean he also praises the dub when he thinks it's done well and sometimes will even admit he is nitpicking, so I'm not sure what you want. Most of the negativity I've seen is in the "thoughts" section of each comparison (which imo is usually my favorite part of each one) but that's very obviously marked as his personal thoughts of each episode?

And like it's called Dogasu's Backpack so of course it's gonna be pretty heavily-based on his opinions (though I still stand by the fact that his comparisons are usually pretty objective).

18. SkyWarriorT

SkyWarriorT Member

Blog Posts:
    > Dogasu
    >"Objective"
    > "Usually"

His opinion on Butch's dub voice: "Eric Stuart makes Butch sound like teh chain smoker!"

The facts: Stuart has never smoked in his entire life, even said in an Interview he tried to stay away from any of that because it'd harm his voice if he did, thus his career.

A very objective deduction by Dogasu!

Or how about the time when he said, to paraphrase what he said in his Episode 1 dub comparison...

>"The first dub episode keeps 50% of the OST, which is more than the company will end up doing later"

Only keeps 2 pieces, 11.8%: RBY Opening & Tears After The Cloudy Weather, less than even what 4Kids would keep towards the end of their Anime dub on average. But no, he was totally right about this, like he is with everything!

I could go on and on, but he isn't without his own "inaccuracies" as well.

Also, it's not like TPCi didn't produce their own inaccurate scripts at times for the dub either at times (and still does in some episodes), but of course only 4Kids could do this because they are the devil, even though the company is long since dead and it totally makes sense to bash their Kanto dub in 2017, while not reviewing any TPCi dub episodes since mid BW, when he hasn't reviewed those Arcs at all.

Clearly we have no double standards here from you people, no, not at all: it's okay to do, as long as it's not 4Kids who does it! :D

(P.S. He never thinks it's done well lately other than "The Pi-Kahuna" script wise, and before you say anything how "If 4Kids scripted these eps better blah blah blah I wouldn't have to" Dogasu and co., keep in mind before this Kanto 2017 campaign of yours, Dogasu never personally lambasted Michael Haigney in a review nor did he write paragraph long essays on the dub at times, either, you were far less verbose in your text length, and clear in the past in your analyses IMHO.)

#2798 SkyWarriorT, Oct 19, 2017 at 7:24 AM
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017 at 8:14 AM
  19. martianmister

martianmister マーシャンミスター

Blog Posts:
    Are you serious? :ROFLMAO:
    I have no idea where you get that Dogasu is a TPCI dub fan. He was always critical of it. I'm also mystified by your insistence to support 4Kids dub, no matter what changes they made.

#2799 martianmister, Oct 19, 2017 at 5:01 PM
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017 at 5:06 PM
  20. Skalesgon

Skalesgon Member

Blog Posts:
    He had said that violence against humans does not happen much in later seasons. It does still happen in BW and XY.