• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

It's interesting you made the connection to M02 because I remember when I first read the plot summary for the unused 3rd movie I immediately thought of this episode. I guess it was the "giant creature rampaging through the Kanto region and our heroes need to stop it" thing.

I believe Daigo from AG and from XY are the same person. Design-wise since it's always changing, we can't say much. The game one changed too, right?

About the Daigo's new bishounen appearance and voice, I think it was done since the anime was following the games closer than before? In AG most of the E4 members didn't appear, the champion was never mentioned (until DP, where they used Emerald as base), etc. Another facor is that most people watching the show during XY (or a good part) didn't see Daigo's original episode, so why bring it up?

That episode in AG is pretty forgettable too, isn't it? In my opinion's a pretty boring filler.

It actually reminds me the Orbs, Kyogre, Groudon and Rayquaza.

Last edited:
One thing I always found weird about this episode was Alakazam (or was it Gengar?) throwing boomerangs that turned into strange-looking rocks...that did nothing. I never could figure out if that was supposed to be an actual move or what the point of it even was.

Leave it to 4Kids to replace a Japanese name with another Japanese name! :ROFLMAO:

The problem with late Kanto is that's when the Show started to lose the energy, edginess, emotion, and insanity of its early days and started to become just another kid's show...

In fact...
I have a long overdue confession to make: the reason I call it "the Show" or "the TV Show" in my post is because part of me is very hesitant to call it an anime. In fact, some times that part refuses to call it one...:cautious:

(feels good to finally get that off my chest)

Also, there's something a bit hypocritical about "host selling" when there are entire kid's shows & cartoons that are little more than half-hour, big budgeted commercials (right, GI Joe and Transformers?)...

Last edited:
I actually agree with Dogasu about the second half of Kanto not getting enough love. Some of my absolute favorite episodes are from the second half, lol.

Anyway, I had no idea that the pictures of James were a dub edit! That's pretty interesting. And yeah I remember being all "wtf" @ Otoshi not actually being the guy's original name, but whatever, it's 4Kids. :p

I used to hate that episode a decade ago, but with the gift of hindsight (and your handy translations/notes) I'm wondering if this was a vague premonition of the Musashi that was to come in later years for contest/tripokalon arcs... The progression from "I want the spotlight without doing any work" to "I don't mind losing because I actually came quite far due the work of my friends and I" is quite remarkable.
[/MusashiFanRambles]

That side note about Otoshi is something you don't think about until you are older. Reminds me of the Ranma 1/2 dub with it's Chinese caricature in episode 1, where the 90s dubs try to do an accent but years later it looks pretty bad looking back on it.

I wonder if they tried giving him a name close to Satoshi as a nod to the Japanese version, but then why wouldn’t they just call him that...

I noticed Otoshi’s faux-Japanese accent too, but didn’t see it as any more or less stereotypical than the many, many accents 4Kids gives its COTDs. Of course, having a native speaker would always be the better option, but the dub in general had – and has – a pretty limited talent pool outside of the movies.

And of course there’s the deal with his name change. Usually, the only reason why a localization would change a Japanese name to a different Japanese name is if the former was way too easy for an English-speaker to mispronounce. But personally I find Saizo an easier name to pronounce, so...what gives? It’s not just 4Kids either; the localizations of the Johto games also renamed the already-Japanese Kimono Girls for some reason.

Speaking of weird changes, I wonder why they took out the information on the time the Indigo League starts and Gary’s presence there. Usually, the dub likes to cut tidbits like this from whole cloth if it isn’t already there, but here they didn’t even bother to cram it into the lip flaps.

Dogasu said:
(Also, apparently there were Pokémon POGs back in the day? Did anyone have some?)
Oh my god they were EVERYWHERE! You used to get at least one per every bag of Lay's potato chips you bought, plus a lot of other similar products. You mention the late 90s / early 00s to anyone in their 20s around here and collecting Pokémon tazos at school is pretty much the first thing that comes to mind.

Last edited:
There was definitely Pokémon pogs in the USA. There was Pokémon everything back then. An era that will never be repeated.

I noticed Otoshi’s faux-Japanese accent too, but didn’t see it as any more or less stereotypical than the many, many accents 4Kids gives its COTDs. Of course, having a native speaker would always be the better option, but the dub in general had – and has – a pretty limited talent pool outside of the movies.
I'm guessing because while most of the dialects 4Kids would give characters-of-the-day were pretty random (Eve having a French accent in the Pokemopolis episode, for example), Otoshi was clearly given a Japanese-sounding dialect because he looks like a samurai. I just rewatched the episode after the comparison came out and the first thing I thought was Kenshin.

I think in general as well French/Italian/Spanish/etc. dialects aren't considered as offensive because for the most part, it's people of European descent ribbing on other people of European descent, whereas Maddie Blaustein doing a Japanese accent is more likely to be seen as appropriation. It's one of those things where in a vacuum maybe it's not that big of a deal, but given the reality of the situation - Japan's complicated history with America and the stereotypes and outright discrimination against Japanese-Americans - they should have been more thoughtful.

Never got the chance of getting those in Italy, as we didn’t have anything Frito Lay-related back then.

However, there were some rubbery things which were similar to those, as well as some Pokéballs with little figurines inside. I should still have a Vulpix figurine somewhere…

Back
Top Bottom