1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If your account is currently registered using an @aol.com, @comcast.net or @verizon.net email address, you should change this to another email address. These providers have been rejecting all emails from @bulbagarden.net email addresses, preventing user registrations, and thread/conversation notifications. If you have been impacted by this issue and are currently having trouble logging into your account, please contact us via the link at the bottom right hand of the forum home, and we'll try to sort things out for you as soon as possible.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want to talk to fellow Pokémon fans in real time? Join the discussions on our public Discord server!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hello, everyone. We've made a few edits to the rules here and here effective immediately, so please read them! Thanks in advance.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. A new episode of Bulbanews Weekly Update can be found on YouTube here.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. For those who haven't noticed yet, Bulbacast Episode 10 has been uploaded to Youtube. Watch it here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Discussion in 'Pokémon Anime and Manga' started by Pokemaster Justin, Sep 9, 2008.

1. martianmister

martianmister マーシャンミスター

Blog Posts:
    That's just Pikachu in its G1 design. They're talking about something different.
    We didn't see much of his skills in Kanto, so, no.

Poke Trey and kantoskies like this.
  2. Unown Seer

Unown Seer Earnest

Blog Posts:
    Fair enough. It isn't the "daifuku" design, but its expression is very unusual.

3. Dogasu

Dogasu ロケット団よ永遠

Blog Posts:
    You're not wrong, of course. But to play devil's advocate for a minute,

1) Mr. Tomioka didn't write either of those episodes so maybe he wasn't aware?
    2) Resources like Bulbapedia wouldn't have existed back in 1999 for him to be able to fact check something like that. Hell, even today the Japanese equivalent of the Bulbapedia page for Dragon Rage doesn't conveniently list out all its appearances in the TV series the way the English one does.

Jared DiCarlo likes this.
  4. Nicolas721

Nicolas721 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Cool interview! He seems a very passionate guy. You're very lucky to find exaclty the same book that he talked about where his hand appears. :LOL:

Johtohfiller likes this.
  5. Antiyonder

Antiyonder New Member

Blog Posts:
    1. Japanese Episode 027
    Actually the few times I came across "Sleeper and Pokemon Hypnotism!?" in the Japanese Version, I recall flashbacks to the rarely aired in the US episode and not the premiere. Heck, some people including Suede mentioned that the original Japanese airings did have the flashback to "Holiday at Aopulco" while later versions did change it to "Pokémon, I Choose You".

As for why they didn't pick up on this one (as they did make dub changes to "Tentacool and Tentacruel" and "Dig That Diglett" to reflect a missing episode), probably laziness or oversight. Or just focused on cultural edits to bother.

2. Really not about the usual comparison between the Japanese/US version of an episode, but some trivia I couldn't find on the site for anyone interested. But, besides the dialogue exclusive to the first US Premiere of the episode, "The Battle of the St. Anne" had another dub variation in the scene in a VHS special "A Sneak Peak at Pokémon"

The VHS was a special for Nintendo Power subscribers and like some N64 videos how you get special presentations of some projects before online streaming became a thing.

The special had some really corny quirks like the live action segments introducing Satoshi/Ash's Aunt Hilary, Cousins Trey & Troy and science teacher Mr. Carlson, as well as Kasumi/Misty's friend Amy.

But from the St. Anne episode, the special uses the clip of Sakaki/Giovanni speaking to the Rocket Trio. Instead of their discussion being about their plans to rob everyone on the boat, it's instead about telling them they need to step up on their plans to steal Pikachu before the cartoon, video game, comic books and the trading cards are available to the general audience.

If anyone is interested in it I'll see if I can do a transcript of the scene, or edit it in if I don't get any responses right away.

Edit: Since there's no further posting yet...

Giovanni- Team Rocket, Blast off at the speed of light. Surrender now or prepare to fight. Attention!!!

Jessie and James- At your service.

Meowth- Meowth too sir.

Giovanni- Everything is proceeding exactly as I have foreseen. The Pokémon craze is sweeping the world. I want the three of you to catch the rarest of all Pokémon, Ash Ketchum's Pikachu.

Meowth- We've been trying.

Giovanni- Ooh then try harder. And you better steal Pikachu away from them soon, because the tv show is about to launch. And the Game Boy game, and the toys, card game, comic books. Soon the whole world will be looking for Pikachu. Does anyone else know of our plans?

James- Only a bunch of kids who were lucky enough to get their hands on this video..

Giovanni- Well if they don't get the Game Boy game or watch the tv show, they'll never get Pikachi (finishing with a smirk and evil laugh).

And yes this was said by Ted Lewis, Rachael Lillis and Nathan Price.:ROFLMAO: Just incase you though the Boss Fantasties were the first to lower the head of TR's dignity.

#3125 Antiyonder, May 22, 2018 at 7:00 PM
    Last edited: May 22, 2018 at 10:28 PM