Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Discussion in 'Pokémon Anime and Manga' started by Pokemaster Justin, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Violeta

Violeta Colours

Blog Posts:
    You'd think that the writers & animators would've learned by now to avoid anything resembling blackface or racial stereotypes in general after the Jynx fiasco, but I guess 20 years still isn't enough time for common sense to sink in. :coffee:

2. SammyW27

SammyW27 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    That's unfortunate :(
    At least it sounds like we didn't miss much.
    I just hope this doesn't mean Pasimian will be banned like (old) Jynx and the Porygons.

Yankees4life, Violeta and KenzeyEevee like this.
  3. Deadman

Deadman Amanas

Blog Posts:
    I would rather say you think the world has learned to be not as jumpy in interpreting things as racial or so. I really don't see how you could view coloring your face black as racial. But maybe I'm just too open to how other culture make things. Besides, in Japanese traditional Theaters which name just slips me, they always draw all over their face though it's usual white and red.

4. Hidden Mew

Hidden Mew Administrator Deputy Head Administrator

Blog Posts:
    The history of blackface in the U.S. does make it bit more complicated. Plus, Passimian being based on a monkey might have made it more of an issue since African Americans being associated with primates is also a common racist imagery. Much like with Jynx, I doubt that the writers had any intentions of such imagery with this episode, but I can't really blame TPCI for playing it safe by skipping it either. Pokemon already has one controversial imagery with Jynx's original design. They don't need to potentially add a second one with Ash dressing up as a Passimian complete with black paint on his face.

5. Red Ryu

Red Ryu New Member

Blog Posts:
    I think the intent clearly was not to make it come off as blackface. The US in particular has it way worse with race relations than most places in the world.

Do I think him dressing up as is, is racist? No not at all.

Can I see someone seeing it? Yeah. I'd disagree heavily since the intent is dress up like a Pokemon but it's not in a situation where I wouldn't get it if someone had that interpretation.

Do I get why they pulled the episode? Absolutely, if it was even remotely borderline why even hint at it being an issue and why would you want to cause problems with a kids show?

Do I agree with pulling it? No.

I have empathy and get why someone would feel that way but this is similar to other issues such as Jinx where yeah, she looks way too close to a racist depiction even if the intent is a Ganguro or potentially something related to Japanese folklore. Regardless of that, even with context in mind, yeah she looks really bad in an american mindset. I still maintain context is king and trying to ignore it along with intent is a terrible mindset, but ya know even in some cases, Mr. Popo while not trying to look like a racist stereotype, looks really really bad to a random onlooker.

For this episode? I don't think me or even some of my friends who are black got that interpretation watching the episode. The context is that Satoshi/Ash is going under disguise to blend in with them, that's it. I have empathy for others who might feel that way but I can't really find myself agreeing when talking with others about it and thinking about this episode.

I prefer not to censor than censoring stuff out but there are situations where even I would say something is ok or not. This I thought was fine and people made an issue that I really don't see being a problem. Some people are a bit to sensitive and make problems out of nothing that is something I do feel is a problem with culture in the states. But that doesn't mean I think that one racist looking cats in the aristocrats is A-ok, though my Mexican friend in Louisiana thought it was funny when I watched the movie with him.

Don't agree with it but I understand why people might have thought it was too borderline. Original Jynx and Mr.Popo from Dragonball are definitely not ok in my eyes but this I don't see as a problem but I get why they would pull it or why someone might take issue.

6. ii kanji

ii kanji Musashi Hayashibara

Blog Posts:
    Dogasu I really appreciate your thread on Twitter about the Nagetsukesaru episode. The lack of empathy shown towards those for whom the blackface/monkey connotation would affect is frankly absurd and you made a good attempt at trying to appeal to the better instincts of your readers.

7. martianmister

martianmister マーシャンミスター

Blog Posts:
    Eh, makes sense, I guess.
    Come to think about it, I never thought about it.
    I guess this will end that wild rumor.
    That's strange. Could she be a character that we'll see in Gen VIII?
    So, that's why they focused on these flowers that much.

SinnohEevee likes this.
  8. GalacticRonpa

GalacticRonpa 超高校級に忘れっぽい残念子さん

Blog Posts:
    Someone ever heard of that Pokemon's CD soundtrack that came during the Kanto days, with all the OST the anime had back then?

It's interesting that after the music ends playing, Ishizuka (with Pokemon Zukan's voice) explains what the music is about and give examples of when they are played, describing the scene of episodes they are used. For eg, Genwaku no Bijo, aka Shion Town's theme, is indeed stated to be played in one episode only. He also says some musics are from the games and tells where they are from.

(Zukan says Natsume abdicated from the match for laughing lol (or something like that, the word it uses is ほうき, which I think best fits as 放棄 going by the phrase itself)

Jared DiCarlo likes this.
  9. Jared DiCarlo

Jared DiCarlo Grovyle Fan

Blog Posts:
    I noticed something about Giovanni’s voice in the Japanese version of “Battle Aboard the St. Anne”. It actually DOES have a slight effect added to it like in the American version. Of course, it isn’t as prominent as the American version, but it’s there. You just have to listen really carefully for it. I haven’t watched any of his other pre-Battle for the Badge appearances in Japanese yet, so I don’t know if it’s the same case for those.

10. MizuTaipu

MizuTaipu A deeper shade of blue

Blog Posts:
    "Select + B" for Celebi's name origin seems like a stretch.

11. Nicolas721

Nicolas721 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    It's really nice to see someone from the anime staff interacting with fans from the West in some place different from Twitter.

"it's because it was right around this time last year when I was doing location scouting...in Los Angeles and San Francisco!!"

So this part confirms that the movie staff still does location scouting, but for some reason it isn't mentioned in marketing anymore. Interesting.

Dogasu and RetroPokeFan like this.
  12. martianmister

martianmister マーシャンミスター

Blog Posts:
    So, he can speak english, I presume? And did he just used Serena's catchphrase? (ジャジャーン)

13. Dogasu

Dogasu ロケット団よ永遠

Blog Posts:
    ジャジャーン is a common phrase in Japanese, though; it's not really specific to Serena or Pocket Monsters in general.

No idea if he can speak English or not.

Jared DiCarlo likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.