• All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • We are aware of some issues currently affecting the forums, and they are actively being worked on. Thanks for your patience throughout this.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Whoever has the gold makes the rules...
Reaction score
You might want to check that clip again. In the part where their dialogue is overlapping (when Satoshi's mom is on-screen) the conversation's about how they should play rock-paper-scissors to determine who gets the top bunk. No one mentions anything about Alola or its champion.
Huh. I could have sworn I heard that phrase but it's good to have confirmation either way.

Reaction score
Last edited:
ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
I'd want to see the Japanese original because right now we have no way of verifying this independently.

@Jez , do you still have the screenshots you posted here?

Reaction score
With the way that quote is worded, I feel we're missing something here...

Maybe she meant that Ash's personality ressembled how he was around the Orange Islands season?

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more I really doubt that translation. It just sounds more like what fans would describe SM Ash early on in the series than what Rica or someone involved with the show itself would say. It isn't really more believable around twenty episodes into SM since the headcanon itself doesn't make any sense either. It just comes off like it was designed to fit into the "SM is in its own continuity" debate or for the people being upset that SM took place right after XY.

Whoever has the gold makes the rules...
Reaction score
If Jez doesn't have the pictures anymore but is willing to have them posted here I was able to dig them up with internet sorcery. I'll wait for them to confirm they're willing before I show them, however.

Reaction score
I think having the Japanese text side by side is a good idea. PocketMonsters.net does something similar with their episode Notes section too. I'd recommend making the table wider since the Japanese sentences seem kinda squished viewing it from a desktop.

I never understood why they chose airships as a mode of transport in the anime. Maybe since they're so outdated it gives the anime a sense of timelessness? Whatever the case, they stopped using airships around the end of Diamond and Pearl with the Johto Festa I think.

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
Thanks for the input!

The table width issue is something that's going to have to wait, unfortunately. I think it's no secret that my site is long overdue for a complete overhaul and so I don't really want to fudge with too much layout-wise until I get all that done. But I'll be sure to keep that in mind for when I do finally get around to bringing my site into the 21st century!

potato
Reaction score
Just want to say thanks for being so active with maintaining your site over the years - I think I'm nearing a decade (or maybe a bit more now, possibly 11-12 years) of having your site bookmarked, which is pretty crazy. You're my main source for Japanese/English comparisons and I enjoy your views on dub edits/dialogue changes/etc. Looking forward to the eventual design update, but the current layout is more than easy on my eyes for now ❤

Reaction score
I don't see the point of adding the actual Japanese text in the translation text box? I mean what exactly is the purpose? I wager that most of the people who read the episode comparisons don't understand Japanese to start with, so why would having the original untranslated dialogue make a difference?

Aria and Tohru's Dream World 「夢世界」
Reaction score
I particularly like the Japanese text box because it helps me study. But let's say, in the case I didn't understand anything like it used to be when I first visited Dogasu's Backpack, I'd still find it useful as to give some input of what's exactly being said in the original language.

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
I don't see the point of adding the actual Japanese text in the translation text box? I mean what exactly is the purpose? I wager that most of the people who read the episode comparisons don't understand Japanese to start with, so why would having the original untranslated dialogue make a difference?
I work hard to make sure the translations on my site are accurate and trustworthy but, at the same time, I also welcome people to double check my work to make sure I'm not putting out any misinformation. Remember how, for years and years, everyone thought Satoshi's Butterfree died in the Japanese version? And then it turned out that whoever it was who reported that just misheard the original dialogue? Putting the original Japanese text in the translation text boxes is one safeguard I have to prevent something like that from happening with me.

To put it another way, if my Japanese is not at the level where I can accurately transcribe dialogue from a kids' cartoon then why should any of you trust my translations?

The Japanese text is purposefully kept to the left-most column so that those who don't have any use for it can just ignore it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I really liked that new episode comparison especially because it was so long and full of details that I didn't know about before. On the subject of the Japanese text in the dialogue translation boxes, I think it should remain since it's more thorough that way.

All life matters. Not matter age or skin color!
Reaction score
I think you dont get enough credit for what you do for the community. And sometimes we forget you are doing this alone and we ask much. The same applies for all the translators. This ask much time from you all.

05/03/09~05/03/15~05/03/21
Reaction score
Ahhhhhhh that was so great, thanks Dogasu! I had no clue about this Rocket Konzern thing before (I'd never have picked up on it lol) OR the fact that this is a fan favourite lore!! I'm now adding it to my lore faves as well, such a shame the concept was not further explored.

It's also new info to me that the seiyuu TRio had that romanticism line as an in-joke for a long time before the song <3 Ajsadkjsdjadsjdolsaddj

Reaction score
[quoue]For the Gym Leaders you'd think it'd be super easy; just take their teams from the games and use those as-is. But the show likes to switch things up every now and then and so sometimes they swap one Pokémon out for another. Which, OK, fine. But in this episode's case, why go to the trouble of replacing Shijima's Okorizaru with an old Generation 1 Pokémon (Goriky) instead of something more current and exciting? I mean, he has a Kapoerer right freaking there! The Pocket Monsters Gold & Silver video games were pretty shit when it came to promoting its 100 new Pokémon (half the Gym Leaders don't have a single Generation 2 Pokémon on their teams, for crying out loud!) so this is an area the show could have improved upon. But it just...chooses not to.[/quote]

No kidding. Maybe the production team of both games and anime were already nostalgic for Gen 1 and said nostalgia influenced their decisions:).

Reaction score
The comparison clips you've been posting on Twitter are unintentionally pretty funny. It's amazing how much life 4Kids can suck out of a battle with bland voice acting and replacement music. It doesn't help that the battle itself has lackluster animation and storyboarding.

The names "I got a victory badge!" and "...Such sweet sorrow" for the OST links in the comparison are fan-made and not names Miyazaki gave to his pieces.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Since I don't have to worry about double posting for something I forgot to include...

I also feel like the lack of Gen 2 Pokémon from Gym Leaders extends to Ash who while getting better in battles had to for his final Gym Match and League battles had to fall back on his Kanto Mons more.

マーシャンミスター
Reaction score
Dogasu said:
I also wonder if the "string of accidents" line there is the TV show making a subtle nod to a similar string of airship accidents that more or less brought an end to the commercial airship flight industry in the real world. Do you think the crash of the British R38 in 1921, the US airship Roma in 1922, the French Dixmude in 1923, the British R101 in 1930, the USS Akron in 1933, and the LZ 129 Hindenburg in 1937 occurred in the Pocket Monsters world? Or am I reading too much into that line?
These "string of accidents" also would be a good in-universe explanation for why pokémon world gradually replaced them with planes.