• Please check out our recent thread on handling different opinions and toxic behavior here.
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Reaction score
I was reminded that oh yeah, "Pikablu" used to be an exciting new mystery once upon a time! What attacks can it use? What Type is it? Can it evolve? Is it related to Pikachu in any way?
Never had it myself, but as mentioned one of the other lines of cards in the US actually did refer to Marril as Pikablu (Each card being a Pikachu Summer Vacation shot). So for a time before the episode such assumption was validated.

This seems like your typical 4Kids death cover-up, but this one is weird because later in the episode they'll go on to have Mateo say "For the rest of his life grandpa turned out one great sculpture after another." You don't typically say "for the rest of his life" about someone's who still alive, right? Dub-only fans can figure out he's dead either way so why dance around a reference to his death here?
Most likely, but a Season 9 episode of My Little Pony Friendship is Magic had a return appearance by a previous character of the day, Quibble Pants dating a pony named Clear Sky who has a daughter named Wind Sprint from a previous marriage.

Not a stretch to assume it's a divorce which some viewers believed even possibly fellow adult viewers.

Except for a bit in the episode I had to point out. That being Wind Sprint not warming up to Quibble to the end and for the reason that he isn't going to make her forget about her dad. Kids of a divorced couple can sometimes reject having a step parent or someone dating their parent.

But I can't think of (m)any case where the fear of forgetting a distant parent is in relation to divorce.

But then Hasbro had this aversion to mentioning death in FiM like how say Pokémon the Movie 2000 wouldn't refer to the 3 Birds as God's (or even episode) even though the Mouse House would be willing to do so.:unsure:

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
Momentum said:
Just putting it out there again in case Dogasu didn't see, but I'd love to help contribute to his DVD guide, perhaps even provide screenshots to help educate new collectors on what DVDs to look out for. Here's a good portion of my collection as proof (my Blu-rays and other DVDs are on a separate shelf):
Thanks for the offer! I'll keep that in mind whenever I get around to dusting off that section of the site.

MizuTaipu said:
Is the Dogasu translation of 「やな感じ!」 "this stinks!"?
It's actually a translation I shamelessly ripped off from the recent Megumi Hayashibara pseudo-autobiography. I haven't actually settled on a translation of "ya na kanji" that I like, though, even after all these years.

Yami-no-Game said:
@Dogasu I just wanted to point out that you misspelled "Marill" 4 times about halfway through the episode comparison; its English name only has one "R", not two.
Thanks for the heads up! In my defense, the DVD closed captions -- which I turn on to help speed up my dub dialogue transcriptions -- consistently spell its name with two r's.

vlcsnap-2021-04-02-15h36m50s764.png

It should be corrected now.

Antiyonder said:
Never had it myself, but as mentioned one of the other lines of cards in the US actually did refer to Marril as Pikablu (Each card being a Pikachu Summer Vacation shot). So for a time before the episode such assumption was validated.
A similar thing happened in Japan, actually; old magazines back in the day used to mix up Maril's and Bulu's name all the time. Maril would be labled as ブルー while Bulu would be labeled as マリル.

scoop1_medium.png

Japanese fans legitimately thought the new Gold & Silver Water-Type was named "Blue" (since ブルー can be interpreted as "blue" as well) so it seems like nobody knew what the hell this Pokémon was called for a little while there!

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
Is this the source of Pikablue rumor?
I'm pretty sure nobody was posting CoroCoro Comics images back in 1999. I think the "Pikablu" thing was just something that Western fans came up with independently.

Last edited:
I've got spurs that jingle jangle jingle
Reaction score
It's been a very long time but I think Pikablu actually predated Marill being unveiled. There were all sorts of weird urban legends in those early internet days like the "pokegods", Bill's mysterious garden, and various ways to capture Yoshi in R/B/Y.

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/him
It's been a very long time but I think Pikablu actually predated Marill being unveiled. There were all sorts of weird urban legends in those early internet days like the "pokegods", Bill's mysterious garden, and various ways to capture Yoshi in R/B/Y.
Wasn't the Yoshi thing a prank a magazine ran for April's Fools?

I've got spurs that jingle jangle jingle
Reaction score
Wasn't the Yoshi thing a prank a magazine ran for April's Fools?
Now that you mention it, I believe so. Variants spread like crazy on the 'net for a while there.
The early Pokémon fandom was pretty wild in general, though; I'm sure older fans remember the rumor that Butterfree died in the Japanese version of the anime (addressed, I believe, in Dogasu's page on that episode).

Last edited:
WHAT A TWIST!
Reaction score
The Orange Islands: Home to Shinies and Regional Variants LONG before Shinies and Regional Variants!
(the Ghost of Shudo must be furious he didn't get anything out of those)

And sometimes I get the feeling that Crystal Onyx was a precursor to Steelix (and Steel-types in general?) due to withstanding water, but weak against fire. :unsure:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/him
And sometimes I get the feeling that Crystal Onyx was a precursor to Steelix (and Steel-types in general?) due to withstanding water, but weak against fire.
Maybe, or maybe not. I do know that the Steel-Type was revealed before Dark, with them making a big deal of how new the type was (and "Yoroidori"/Skarmory), and Steelix being finalized by that time.

I wonder if they wanted to use Steelix...

Reaction score
The Orange Islands: Home to Shinies and Regional Variants LONG before Shinies and Regional Variants!
(the Ghost of Shudo must be furious he didn't get anything out of those)

And sometimes I get the feeling that Crystal Onyx was a precursor to Steelix (and Steel-types in general?) due to withstanding water, but weak against fire.
Don't forget Double Battle (officially rather than just an exception for battling criminals).