• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Check out our new Mysterious Garden forum style if you haven't already - we're sure you'll love it!
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

MasterTrainer

Connosieur of Excellence
Reaction score
You know, to those smitten by the Japanese language's awesomeness, it's really cool that you have begun actually adding full Japanese text of the original Japanese dialog to contrast against the 4kids dub edits in English.
I'm loving these Orange Islands comparisons. Way to go Dogasu-sensei!
I just hope that the "Japanese Version" of the Kanto episodes also get real Japanese text as the Orange Islands ones are now getting.
It's time for an update!

MizuTaipu

Reaction score
I have a feeling the confetti flying around Rougela in her scenes (and her small, inconsequential appearance in this episode) made it too much of a burden for the animators to recolor her.

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
I have a feeling the confetti flying around Rougela in her scenes (and her small, inconsequential appearance in this episode) made it too much of a burden for the animators to recolor her.

I doubt that's the reason. "Rougela's Christmas" ("Holiday Hi-Jynx") had effects like this flashback psychic energy veil...thing,

25_black_small.png
25_purple_small.png

...rain,

49_black_small.png
49_purple_small.png

...and snow.

90_black_small.png
90_purple_small.png

"The Ice Cave," meanwhile, had steam,

17_blowing-soup_black_small.png
17_blowing-soup_purple_small.png

...heat,

29_too-hot_black_small.png
29_too-hot_purple_small.png

...and a blizzard.

41_blizzard_black_small.png
41_blizzard_purple_small.png

The confetti we see in "Dance! Pokémon Showboat" ("Stage Fight!") would be a bit of a pain to edit around, sure, but it's not much worse than what they've already done in the past.

I'll bet OLM just never got around to editing the episode I just compared because they forgot and/or ran out of money.

snowmint

Henshin A Go Go Baby!
Reaction score
I doubt that's the reason. "Rougela's Christmas" ("Holiday Hi-Jynx") had effects like this flashback psychic energy veil...thing,

25_black_small.png
25_purple_small.png

...rain,

49_black_small.png
49_purple_small.png

...and snow.

90_black_small.png
90_purple_small.png

"The Ice Cave," meanwhile, had steam,

17_blowing-soup_black_small.png
17_blowing-soup_purple_small.png

...heat,

29_too-hot_black_small.png
29_too-hot_purple_small.png

...and a blizzard.

41_blizzard_black_small.png
41_blizzard_purple_small.png

The confetti we see in "Dance! Pokémon Showboat" ("Stage Fight!") would be a bit of a pain to edit around, sure, but it's not much worse than what they've already done in the past.

I'll bet OLM just never got around to editing the episode I just compared because they forgot and/or ran out of money.
Do you think this is a 4kids style paint job or did they go back to the original cels and repainted them there? It gives me up if it's the later for the pokemon company to remaster the series into HD.

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
I doubt they went back to the original film masters for these; the purple edits are still very obviously standard definition transfers.

Unireon

僕の心は 君のもの
Reaction score
My main issue with Rougela, in the anime, is not her appearance.

But the fact that the staff wasted Tanaka Mayumi's talent to voice her.
Her single contribution was saying 'Psycho' when using Psywave.

Recently I have started picturing her as the voice of You/Elio, if he were to appear in any media.

snowmint

Henshin A Go Go Baby!
Reaction score
I can't wait for dogasu to cover the mandarin island miss match episode. Such a rabbit hole of info to present in an episode comparison.

MasterTrainer

Connosieur of Excellence
Reaction score
Thanks for the episode comparison Dogasu-sensei! I expected a Pokémon episode, but I'm already getting neck deep into Ashita no Joe; and loving it.
You do have a funny way of making old school anime really interesting sensei!

I do appreciate the Japanese dialogs for the episode comparison. Keep those "ビロードウェイ" puns coming!(y)

POKEMONMASTER260

Reaction score
I suppose. "To stand by the evils of love and truth" (how Bulbapedia translates it) would have been the same number of syllables, though. I guess they thought "denounce" fit the specific lip movements better? Well, I guess it didn't really end up mattering much. But it does stick out to me.
I think it has more to do with 4Kids thinking, since they were the villains, truth and love would be something they were against, not for, and would still see as evil from their point of view for that reason.

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
My main issue with Rougela, in the anime, is not her appearance.

But the fact that the staff wasted Tanaka Mayumi's talent to voice her.
Her single contribution was saying 'Psycho' when using Psywave.

Ms. Tanaka only voiced Rougela in the Christmas episode; in all subsequent appearances she was voiced by someone else.

snowmint said:
I can't wait for dogasu to cover the mandarin island miss match episode. Such a rabbit hole of info to present in an episode comparison.

I am both looking forward to and absolutely dreading that episode because of just how dense it is, content-wise.

Unireon

僕の心は 君のもの
Reaction score
Ms. Tanaka only voiced Rougela in the Christmas episode; in all subsequent appearances she was voiced by someone else.
Yeah, I know. But I added it since someone mentioned that episode.

Seeing a talented seiyuu being wasted like that, it's upsetting.
And even then; her forte are young boys, not Mons.
A Rival, if not a Player-Character, would have been a phenomenal idea.

darksteel6

Reaction score
Indeed, I only just recently found out there was a scene that was only present in the English dub on the very first airing on Kids WB and was cut in every airing afterwards and in all official releases of the episode due to close-ups of Lorelai/Prima's cleavage. I've been trying to find the original dub airing online but to no avail, if anyone on here happens to have recorded it that would be great.

Nicolas721

Reaction score
I don't think Cilan is banned from reappearing just because his actor is expensive. If they got Mamoru Miyano for a special that didn't promote upcoming series or games an episode of the current anime wouldn't be a problem. I think it has more to do with Iris having more potential overall.

Kaori's story broke my heart, but at least she seems to have a positive attitude about it. I hope she recovers someday and I'll surely think of her when I hear Watashi Makenai again.

PaperSplash

Reaction score
Pronouns
He/him
It's Christmas again and I've been wondering why TPCi never bothered syncing up the dub audio to the edited purple Holiday Hi-Jynx (and Mandarin Island Miss Match). Is it laziness or is Jynx itself appearing an issue?

Sai

Reaction score
I'm surprised Jynx even continued to appear into AG after all the controversy. Even including it in a major role like May's last Contest episode in Hoenn. Even if it's purple now they would probably want to cut it out of the dub altogether, but probably couldn't as it would create a plot hole where May won her last ribbon from if those eps disappeared. Not that this ever stopped the dub from not airing important eps before like Ash capturing Tauros or the special Dawn's Cyndaquil evolved

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets to the point where future releases of the Hoenn dub just cut out the Jynx eps too, like that filler in Battle Frontier with the 3 Jynx and maybe even cut the 2 Contest episodes with it despite it being important.

PaperSplash

Reaction score
Pronouns
He/him
I'm also surprised TPCi is okay with Jynx still appearing in a Who's That Pokémon, the Pokérap and a couple Pikachu's Jukebox songs, in its original design at that. Especially since the former two are basically still images which can be easily be Photoshopped.