• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Glad to hear you liked the dub for Koko, Dogasu. I enjoyed it, albeit without having seen the Japanese original, so I didn't know how accurate it was. Your theory about Katy Perry isn't one I'd considered, but I did see Cyn was on her record label, just didn't make the connection myself. Seems logical enough. As a song I actually like "Always Safe" more than "Koko," but on principle I'd rather they just keep everything as-is.

I swear in the Rules Song the lyric is actually "we are the pulse of the jungle," which would be a closer word to "blood," though most lyrics sources I've seen use "voice," so idk.

As a song I actually like "Always Safe" more than "Koko," but on principle I'd rather they just keep everything as-is.
I liked "Always Safe" too but I found it interesting that it has more in common thematically with "Strange and Wonderful Creatures" than "Koko".

I swear in the Rules Song the lyric is actually "we are the pulse of the jungle," which would be a closer word to "blood," though most lyrics sources I've seen use "voice," so idk.
Possibly. The lyrics (at least on Bulbapedia) are sourced from the movie closed captions, which blatantly got one line from "Always Safe" wrong last I checked.

Though elsewhere in the movie where the phrase appears, it's instead translated as "the jungle's lifeblood" (edit: noticed that Dogasu already mentioned this). I wonder if it just didn't scan right for the song, though it would be a strange decision to repeat "voice" twice instead.

Last edited:
Dogasu thank you for the information about Kaori. It helps to have information from the source rather than this vague rumour about her being ‘ill’. I feel so sad for her and wish she has happiness in her life despite this shitty hand of cards she’s been dealt.

Rougela hasn't appeared in the TV series since 2005.

They're definitely taking the "we're just going to quietly sweep her under the rug and be done with it" approach to her.
That's too bad, I remember watching Johto as a kid and thinking it was weird how we never saw The Ice Cave and then I go on TV Tome(ah the memories!) and look at an episode guide and find out the Ice Cave episode got banned cause of Jynx, that really annoyed me back then and still annoys me now.

TCPI are way too kneejerk, i'm not even sure why they randomly banned those two Jynx episodes many years later, if that happened in the wake of say the Dylan Roof murders that would've actually made sense, but those episodes were pulled years before that tragedy happened so I can't understand what possible logical reason there was to ban them like that.

BTW you wouldn't happen to have a tape of the first Kids WB airing of "Mandarin Island Mis-Match" would you?

That's too bad, I remember watching Johto as a kid and thinking it was weird how we never saw The Ice Cave and then I go on TV Tome(ah the memories!) and look at an episode guide and find out the Ice Cave episode got banned cause of Jynx, that really annoyed me back then and still annoys me now.

TCPI are way too kneejerk, i'm not even sure why they randomly banned those two Jynx episodes many years later, if that happened in the wake of say the Dylan Roof murders that would've actually made sense, but those episodes were pulled years before that tragedy happened so I can't understand what possible logical reason there was to ban them like that.

BTW you wouldn't happen to have a tape of the first Kids WB airing of "Mandarin Island Mis-Match" would you?
Just post an article on lost media wiki. We need to find all lost media of Pokemon.

Speaking of "lost" Pokémon media, there was a version of the fourth movie with the added and replaced scenes 4Kids commissioned redubbed into Japanese that aired only once on TV Tokyo; I believe it was discussed in this thread a while back. Apparently it recently resurfaced and is now floating around on certain corners of the internet, though I haven't been able to confirm its legitimacy.

Speaking of "lost" Pokémon media, there was a version of the fourth movie with the added and replaced scenes 4Kids commissioned redubbed into Japanese that aired only once on TV Tokyo; I believe it was discussed in this thread a while back. Apparently it recently resurfaced and is now floating around on certain corners of the internet, though I haven't been able to confirm its legitimacy.
I wonder what they did with the OST - IIRC, the music that plays during those scenes is standard 4Kids filler bgm.

I think it's less a case of TPCI being too kneejerk and more like they don't want to remind people of Jynx's original design. I can't really blame them when it's still one of the more well known controversies in the franchise. It was still kind of sudden to remove those episodes when they were kept in the first DVD box sets for those seasons, but I'm not too surprised. Although, a more ideal solution would have been to just edit the shots of Jynx. If those episodes were important, I think that they would have done so, but I still suspect that they didn't want to put the time to do that on filler episodes.

I think it's less a case of TPCI being too kneejerk and more like they don't want to remind people of Jynx's original design. I can't really blame them when it's still one of the more well known controversies in the franchise. It was still kind of sudden to remove those episodes when they were kept in the first DVD box sets for those seasons, but I'm not too surprised. Although, a more ideal solution would have been to just edit the shots of Jynx. If those episodes were important, I think that they would have done so, but I still suspect that they didn't want to put the time to do that on filler episodes.
That's understandable enough, but then why leave Jynx's appearances in Who's That Pokémon, the Pokérap and Pikachu's Jukebox untouched?

That's understandable enough, but then why leave Jynx's appearances in Who's That Pokémon, the Pokérap and Pikachu's Jukebox untouched?
My best guess is that is those go by so fast and they didn't feel the need to edit or remove that. Either that or it's just a case of TPCI being inconsistent.

I've a doubt. In the comparison for the Pidgeot farewell episode, it's said that Satoshi doesn't make a promise to meet Pigeot again in the original.

However, the translated dialogue still seems to imply that Satoshi planned to meet Pigeot again.

Satoshi: "That Onidrill might come back and attack. Pigeot, can you stay in this forest and protect Poppo and the others for me?
Pigeot: "Dgeo~!"
Satoshi: "We'll be back as soon as we finish our errand."
Satoshi: "Pigeot! Good luck!"

It IS weird they took so long to really DO anything with Misty...o_O
At least she got 2 of the best guys on the staff for when it happened! (y)

I've a doubt. In the comparison for the Pidgeot farewell episode, it's said that Satoshi doesn't make a promise to meet Pigeot again in the original.

However, the translated dialogue still seems to imply that Satoshi planned to meet Pigeot again.

Satoshi: "That Onidrill might come back and attack. Pigeot, can you stay in this forest and protect Poppo and the others for me?
Pigeot: "Dgeo~!"
Satoshi: "We'll be back as soon as we finish our errand."
Satoshi: "Pigeot! Good luck!"
I guess "as soon as we finish our errand" is vaguer than "as soon as we get Professor Oak's Poké Ball", but the implication is definitely still there. And I've seen Japanese fans wondering why Ash never came back for Pidgeot too.

Speaking of the Dub and detail it makes up or exaggerates, does are there any moments joking or suggesting Kojiro to be gay or bi?

Especially was wondering what Musashi and Nyarth said in the scene where Jessie comments about James getting the Moltres costume from his closest (Fortune Hunter).

Speaking of the Dub and detail it makes up or exaggerates, does are there any moments joking or suggesting Kojiro to be gay or bi?

Especially was wondering what Musashi and Nyarth said in the scene where Jessie comments about James getting the Moltres costume from his closest (Fortune Hunter).
Dogasu actually translated the Moltres costume scene from the Japanese version here.

But yes, most if not all of the jokes about about James' sexuality were made up by the dub (and many of them probably wouldn't fly today).

Dogasu actually translated the Moltres costume scene from the Japanese version here.

But yes, most if not all of the jokes about about James' sexuality were made up by the dub (and many of them probably wouldn't fly today).
And they actually made a reference to Kobayashi Sachiko and her costumes at the Kouhaku.

She did sing the first movie ending 'Kaze to Issho ni'.
And performed it at the Kouhaku Uta Gassen in 1998.

We are almost there again, New Year's Eve.
I am planning to watch the show, like every year.

Think that the Italian voice actress for Jessie, when asked in an interview if she thought there was "something" between her and James, replied: Sincerely? No. Also because at the beginning we worked on the "American" soundtrack and by the way they dubbed him, it really seemed that James had "other tastes".

Last edited:
Think that the Italian voice actress for Jessie, when asked in an interview if she thought there was "something" between her and James, replied: Sincerely? No. Also because at the beginning we worked on the "American" soundtrack and by the way they dubbed him, it really seemed that James had "other tastes".
The Japanese voice actors said pretty much the same thing regarding Jessie and James' relationship, actually, though they do understand why some people ship them.

But yes, the American dubbers were definitely trying to insinuate James was gay without outright saying so. Even before Eric Stuart started voicing him, they had him say double entendres like "it's times like these that make me want to go straight". But a lot of it came from old stereotypes so I understand why not everyone would be a fan of that approach.

Back
Top Bottom