• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

I never see Dan as someone romantically interested in Kasumi, he's more of a charming cool big brother type character, he even teased them about how they secretly care about each other.

There is many anime youtubers, but they don't use episode clips, only screencaps.

1. That's what I thought and even think about Dan/Danny, but it wouldn't be out of nowhere for the alternate.

I mean going back to A Chansey Operation, you have Proctor approaching Misty, Jessie and Joy in the same fashion.

Plus the fact that Ahs and Brock had to wear oversized coats while Misty had a perfectly fitting nurse uniform instead of one being adult sized.

2. To just anyone in general, mylast bit on it for this comparison. Now I posted referred to this in response to a video showing Brock acting creepy towards Ash in the ep "It's Mr. Mime Time" and I think the kids in the Pokémon world need this advice:

For those never seeing or hearing of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, yes this is official. Not a YTP or super convincing fan edit.

Really fitting since StH and Pokémon crossed paths in Smash. Even used that rationalization to justify storing my Sonic the Hedgehog Comic Encyclopedia (referring to the Archie years) with my Pokémon Handbooks and in the Pokémon Thermos Lunchbag (A very old one with the usual stock art of a Charizard).

3. I mean I've heard of cases where say a Power Rangers or Sentai video had a take down and it was just a person in a PR costume at worst doing a review.

Ok, this is the last time cause if this opening post is legit, this confirms the Ash and Serena kiss was presented as is cause it wouldn't be acceptable on par with say a hot springs episode:

So yeah either the higher ups are aiming for politics or they think relationships are a scam.

Ok, this is the last time cause if this opening post is legit, this confirms the Ash and Serena kiss was presented as is cause it wouldn't be acceptable on par with say a hot springs episode:

So yeah either the higher ups are aiming for politics or they think relationships are a scam.
I don't get how underage girls being nearly nude in hot springs is somehow more acceptable then a kiss, Japan is just plain weird sometimes.

Was too out of it to tackle earlier:
And...um...the Rocket trio actually helping Satoshi win his badge here gives me something to bring up the next time someone wants to start complaining about how they have no business being in Gym battle episodes...? The animation and music and voice acting were all pretty decent...? shrugs

Yeah really it's like with the tail end of the Kanto League. They felt Ash/Satoshi didn't really deserve a major win and wanted him to Rank at 16, but there was the usual lack of interest in straight up round battles so really the trio getting in the way was more a side effect.

Would really be nice to get more accounts on how the whole saga would pan out had it ended the series or passed the torch to another character (ala Digimon in the 2000s).

Heck I recall a post last year in another thread suggesting that the Orange Islands might have mutated from plans to be Ash VS The Elite Four and then Champion.

I don't know. Before getting to the point, again, what was the approach planned for our lead? The happy go lucky protagonist who wins cause of his heart even if not so skilled*, protagonist who has to grow into someone who could plausibly become champion despite his start** or as we got, protagonist who got by on luck with some growth only for real life to give him a wake up call for lack of a better description.

You had countless times where say Brock and Misty gave some jabs at him getting lucky.

And while this could be a case of the original having many different writers with a different approach and sensibility, plus dub inconsistencies, there is a bit from Episode 3 that Suede gave imput on.

Namely Misty disagreeing with Ash's "Things will work out if you try hard enough". Suede took it as a suggestion that maybe the anime was taking a shot at how leads usually get by on luck and smiles instead of skill.

But then you have say moments like say:
1. Brock giving Ash the Boulderbadge in the first place thinking he deserved it (Some people even question the being kind to Pokémon) and from an episode which is meant handled by a writer who tends to downplay the ideal tones you might expect.

2. Brock and Misty stating that he earned the Marshbadge and not showing any objection to his "winning" of the Rainbowbadge in a couple episodes later lacks commentary on him lucking into it.

Again might be inconsistencies in the Dub and/or even different writers. That bit with Blaine balking at giving Ash a Badge for saving the day certainly seems like middle finger for Pity Badges approach.

So whether they shouldn't have been used at all (I still think of how Psychic types were broken in Gen 1) or the Thunderbadge being the turning point? Let's look at what I find are the most pointless ones and why I figure they played out as they did.

Neither Misty or Erika struck me as comparable to Brock with his Onix or Sabrina and Kadabra, or Giovanni with Mewtwo.

Providing that recalls on Misty or Erika's side counted as a loss, then Ash could conceivably win against both.

- Cascadebadge: Even if it wasn't done with any shipping intent, Ash and Misty bickering was still a major part of the early portion of the series, even to a degree in Johto.

But if Ash got better much sooner and part of that involved winning the Badge? While Misty's critique would still have validity it would still be easy to read as sour grapes on her part.

Team Rocket could have made a failed attempt at the beginning to capture Pikachu and then have a basic Gym Match.

- Rainbowbadge: Yeah I can't think of how to redo this since TR has more point in the episode. Make it a two partner where Ash performs even worse in battle for one thing.

For one thing Erika's Pokémon while okay is not say up there with Onix or Kadabra. Also Pidgeotto definitely could have worked against Gloom well if not perfectly.

And again she recalled some Pokémon, so it might be a loss against her.

So have the last bit a Team Rocket stuff and next episode has Ash performing on par with his best Kanto moments.

And unless the original version had less of the ribbing with his pity badges (like Satoshi being a but less egotistical or Shigeru being less jerky***), yeah might have played out as it did cause even in the season which is easy to think highly of it sadly we still had some Status Quo is God.

Like even if Ash ultimately got better and Charizard became loyal, Misty never would say be allowed to make progress with Psyduck.****

So yeah Status Quo is God (Giving his friends some ribbing ammunation) and the writers couldn't think of a way to maybe find better battle alternatives to winning a badge (More on that at the end) and being able to convey that Ash isn't skilled enough.

So really if you want to get meta, the Rocket Trio were taking the fall for one with higher authority. The writers and the evil ShoPro:-D.

And if there is no fic in the future playing with the idea, then shame on you internet.

*Now yeah in theory you could find ways to make a Badge win without battle, but really it was clearly just Ash who won in this fashion.

So the reason why it sucked?

Yeah the logic in-universe with the Cascadebadge besides Ash stopping TR is that he would have won for sure if Pikachu battled. Nevermind that the anime and even the game doesn't treat Type Advantage as the end all be all of victory/loss.

But sure let's use the episode's troll logic.

If Charizard was obedient from the start, Ash would fry Richie in Round Five, so let's just declare Ash the winner and Richie can take a hike:-D. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

**Afterall even if Red faired better in Origins, his earliest performance much like Ash was making him so much an amateur that he say tried to capture another trainer's Pokémon.

Another shout out to Suede is that yeah Ash and Red are meant to be audience proxy, but it would be like a person new to Basketball not even understanding that the ball goes into the other team's basket.

***Heck Shigeru called the main character a kid before Iris made it uncool.

****One thing Misty could have used in her advantage is Psyduck being able to learn Heatbutt. If the opponent is weak, then it could be enough for a win. If not then it surely would give him a headache.

Read Dogasu's latest tweet that lets us know why Ash will never age, quite interesting but not too surprising:https://twitter.com/DogasusBackpack/status/1492278956707311617

I guess if the Simpsons can get away with having their characters never age, it makes sense that anime would as well. This also explains why the original conclusion of the first Pokemon movie of an epilogue showing Ash and Misty all grown up with a child of their own was revised.

Read Dogasu's latest tweet that lets us know why Ash will never age, quite interesting but not too surprising:https://twitter.com/DogasusBackpack/status/1492278956707311617

I guess if the Simpsons can get away with having their characters never age, it makes sense that anime would as well. This also explains why the original conclusion of the first Pokemon movie of an epilogue showing Ash and Misty all grown up with a child of their own was revised.

At this point since the Pokémon anime isn't a creator owned anime I get it, but I never really thought Simpsons is the best comparison since there was no reason to expect continuity or serialization from it. Maybe Detective Conan or more appropriately Doraemon.

Heck Simpsons came from a time when we were less inclined to expect anything other than episodic humor.

Ever western Youtubers like Yugioh Everything that only used screencaps still got hit with bullshit copyright claims though.
Well, no one is saying that they can't use screenshots for copytight claim. It's just less likely for them to make these claims. On the whole fair use matter, it's actually a myth that videos like Suede's protected by it. It's pretty common for Nostalgia Critic style video-reviews to get claimed from western companies and being deleted as a result.

Well, no one is saying that they can't use screenshots for copytight claim. It's just less likely for them to make these claims. On the whole fair use matter, it's actually a myth that videos like Suede's protected by it. It's pretty common for Nostalgia Critic style video-reviews to get claimed from western companies and being deleted as a result.
Oh Suede is well aware of that, he pointed that out himself in a video, still does not make ShoPro look good though, it makes them look like arrogant assholes.

Lol

Anyway, more interesting part of that tweet was how time on anime supposed to freeze on early summer. Does that mean Satoshi is still on his summer vacation? Alola Pokémon School and Gou/Koharu's school are summer schools?

Please remember to be courteous and be substantial with your posting.
Alola! :bulbagarden:

A PSA for everyone - please remember to be civil and polite with other users when discussing topics, as well as making sure your posts generate relevant discussion that moves the conversation forward. Also, walking away from conversations where you ultimately aren't seeing eye to eye with another user is always an effective, and highly recommended, suggestion.

I still want to hear my behind the scenes from the dub. I'm glad Michael Haigney is doing is more out there nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom