• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

This basically what 4kids did since they wanted to brand their anime as American "cartoons '

Why does Dogasu complain about Japanese writing disappearing from the anime when it happens to Western internationally-popular children's franchises as well?
Thomas is a toy-based franchise, so they want the toys to be easily exportable without the need to redeco them into other languages. The wagons losing their writing is just Mattel wanting the wagons to at least somewhat match the toys their going to sell.

I've always thought that 4Kids punching up the everyone's dialogue more and more over the course of their run with the anime was a response to the show airing on Kids WB!. Like, they decided that the dub's comedy writing has to be on par with the rest of the shows on the airing block so they just went hogwild with the 4th-wall breaks and U.S.-only cultural references. It's pretty noticeable compare to their writing in the first 40 episodes or so.

I bet the writers for foreign language dubs just rewrote everything or added region-specific cultural references of their own.

I thought 4kids toned down the 4th wall breaking near the end of their run, the TPCI went crazy heavy on 4th wall stuff again?

From the comaprison: Did the Italian dubbers get the "first place" / "second place" play on words?
Since you asked, that's how they dubbed it. Tracey said "And so we have resolved the mystery of how he managed to get to this island" and Misty replied "Yeah, but now our problem is how to keep him away from the others".

Show business is hard, I'd bet most voice actors working in anime (which is notoriously low-paying) would love to "move up" and never look back. Nearly anytime Netflix's Shaman King dub recast a character from the 4Kids era is because dubbing anime is below that actor's pay grade. Andrew Rannells is probably the most prominent example, becoming a very accomplished live-action and stage actor in his own right. A friend of mine read his autobiography and it sounds like he had an absolutely miserable time working on Pokemon Live and doing roles for 4Kids, so I doubt we'll ever see him return to anime again (he seems to have felt it was beneath him).

Sean Schemmel is an interesting example because he's just recently broken into voice acting for Western animation and video games, and has barely done anything anime since. He comes back to play Goku and Kai in Dragon Ball, but that's about it. I just find the apparent "big fish/small pond" thing going on with him fascinating - plays one of the most iconic anime characters in the world by far, but has largely left that industry to play bit parts on Disney shows and direct-to-video schlock.
Really sad to hear that Andy Rannells hates his anime roles. He’s always been a personal favorite of mine. But I guess being in plays on Broadway has given him a really big ego.

Another 4Kids regular who gave up voice acting to star in live-action stuff is Sebastian Arcelus. I don’t know if he ever appeared on Pokémon, but he was one of the main characters in Shaman King (alongside Rannells) and played Rex Raptor on Yu-Gi-Oh! for a while. He was also the subject of some nasty comments by legendary voice actor Rob Paulsen, who didn’t like his portrayal of Raphael in Turtles Forever. Nowadays, people know him best for being in House of Cards.

Really sad to hear that Andy Rannells hates his anime roles. He’s always been a personal favorite of mine. But I guess being in plays on Broadway has given him a really big ego.

Another 4Kids regular who gave up voice acting to star in live-action stuff is Sebastian Arcelus. I don’t know if he ever appeared on Pokémon, but he was one of the main characters in Shaman King (alongside Rannells) and played Rex Raptor on Yu-Gi-Oh! for a while. He was also the subject of some nasty comments by legendary voice actor Rob Paulsen, who didn’t like his portrayal of Raphael in Turtles Forever. Nowadays, people know him best for being in House of Cards.
Yeah that sucks to hear, I mostly remember him as the announcer for two part episodes of Kirby: Right Back at Ya, though he also voiced Nightmare in the show(and interestingly enough his voice was higher-pitched in the TV version then it was on the version released on DVD,the DVD version was also shorter for some odd reason).

Anyways interesting comparison, i'd never heard of Pummello myself.

Sebastian Arcelus voiced Rafe in Destiny Deoxys, I believe. I always thought he did a good job as the character, and he's good as a stage actor, too - he was in the Wicked cast when I saw it on Broadway 15 years ago ( :eek: ) and I remember thinking he was one of the best parts of that cast.

Anyway, as for today's comparison...I almost forgot this episode existed lol. It's been far too long since I watched the Orange Islands. Maybe it's time for another rewatch.

Last edited:
Sebastian Arcelus voiced Rafe in Destiny Deoxys, I believe. I always thought he did a good job as the character, and he's good as a stage actor, too - he was in the Wicked cast when I saw it on Broadway 15 years ago :)eek:) and I remember thinking he was one of the best parts of that cast.

Anyway, as for today's comparison...I almost forgot this episode existed lol. It's been far too long since I watched the Orange Islands. Maybe it's time for another rewatch.
I rewatched the whole season recently and I was surprised by how many episodes I didn't remember seeing at all as a kid. I remember I had some Pokemon books that basically adapted the episodes(though they had some different dialogue from the show I think) and the two-part fight with Drake was one of them(i'd rented that book as i'd missed part one of the episode and wanted to know what happened after I'd seen part 2).

The thing about these three rewrites -- "jumbo jet," "blubberfly," and "second place" -- is that while they work perfectly fine in English they only serve to introduce headaches for the poor staff whose job it is to localize this version of the show into other languages. How did the German team handle the "blubberfly" joke? What kind of joke did Spanish speakers get in place of the "jumbo jet" one? Did the Italian dubbers get the "first place" / "second place" play on words?
From Turkish dub:
Ash: "I wonder, do you think Snorlax is preparing itself for another island?"

Misty: "Not unless it had a ticket for a jumbo jet."
Misty: "I didn't know that Snorlax can swim!"

Ash: "It's doing a boohoo fly!" (I have no idea what that means, I think the translator messed up)
Tracey: "Of course! I should have figured out that it's a good swimmer. This resolves the mystery of why Snorlax choose this island..."

Misty: "Uh, guys, we must figure out a solution to make it leave that place!"

Last edited:

Why would Rob be nasty. The voice match in turtles forever was done incredibly well

In Latin American Spanish:
"Not unless it has a ticket on a jumbo jet."->"Not unless it has a jumbo jet." with jumbo jet being left in English.

Ash: "It's doing the blubberfly!"->"What a good technique it has!"

Tracey: "Of course! I should have figured it was a good swimmer. That solves the mystery of how Snorlax got to the island in the first place."
->Tracey: "Of course! I should have figured it was a good swimmer. That solves the mystery of how Snorlax got to the island."

Misty: "We'd better figure out a way to keep it from getting to the second place."->"We'd better figure out a way to keep it from getting to the second island."

Puns are easy to ignore when used in casual dialogue, it's when they are the punchline or when there's a visual pun when they become a nightmare.

Did you read Andrew Rannels book and his section about pokemon/4kids?

I like how Mariya Ise sees Dedenne as Eureka's little sister, while Bulbapedia listed it as male.
That listing comes from him having a bow-tie in the dance party episode, which seemed to have a dress code of bow-ties for boys and tiaras for girls. I don't think his gender was ever spoken aloud, but the production crew seemed to think of him as male going by that episode.

Why would Rob be nasty. The voice match in turtles forever was done incredibly well
I think he was just bitter that he wasn’t asked to return, even though union issues prevented him from doing so. He even went as far as to say he didn’t want Arcelus dating his daughter! Ouch!

Back
Top Bottom