• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

I think he was just bitter that he wasn’t asked to return, even though union issues prevented him from doing so. He even went as far as to say he didn’t want Arcelus dating his daughter! Ouch!
I think the union issues were actually what he had a problem with. He likely didn't appreciate 4Kids' decision to make their TMNT a non-union production, as that's usually associated with lower pay and fewer benefits compared to union ones (it's worth noting that the vast majority of western-produced cartoons are fully unionized for at least the voice actors, compared to many anime dubs which are not). So he probably wasn't only upset about being replaced, but with said replacement being willing and able at the time to work for reduced pay and benefits, which could be seen as devaluing his profession. That all said, I don't think the personal attacks were warranted and I think he could have handled the situation a bit more professionally.

Another new comparison is up: https://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/comparisons/02_orange/ep096.html
Definitely disagree with Dogasu saying it's "objectively bad", because objectively would imply that the dub had actual technical issues which isn't the case here, I didn't see anything glaringly wrong with how 4Kids changed certain things.
Still I will admit that Popeye reference was weird, i'd seen some Popeye as a kid via those bootleg tapes with public domain cartoons on them, but not enough to get that reference. I'm not so bothered by all of the meat stuff as Spongebob does the same kind of thing with having the characters still eat seafood("get your fish sticks here!") despite being sea creatures themselves, so I think kids can handle that sort of thing.

Another new comparison is up: https://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/comparisons/02_orange/ep096.html
Definitely disagree with Dogasu saying it's "objectively bad", because objectively would imply that the dub had actual technical issues which isn't the case here, I didn't see anything glaringly wrong with how 4Kids changed certain things.
Still I will admit that Popeye reference was weird, i'd seen some Popeye as a kid via those bootleg tapes with public domain cartoons on them, but not enough to get that reference. I'm not so bothered by all of the meat stuff as Spongebob does the same kind of thing with having the characters still eat seafood("get your fish sticks here!") despite being sea creatures themselves, so I think kids can handle that sort of thing.
I wouldn't say objectively bad, either, but it definitely seems to be one of the worst episodes in the Season 2 dub itself by all metrics, Dogasu does specify it's just this episode he thinks was bad so I could understand (however, I admit I do still get a bit nostalgic hearing Blaustein as Meowth again as an English speaker, I sure do miss her portrayal these days- may she RIP).

In fairness, he did give the 4Kids era writing team credit for one clever line in "don't let the cat out of the bag" which was surprisingly close to the original intent, interesting. IIRC, I think it was still Michael Haigney doing the script adaptation for the English Version from Episode 1 of Indigo League until the end of Johto League Champions.

I will be interested when he gets past Episode 6 to see Haigney's thought process here when he reaches this ep in his podcast: this was one of his off-the-wall zany days, clearly. Looks like Episode 95 got a really good English dub script translation, in contrast, the dub has generally always been this way across the many companies handling it (some good days, some bad days).

Did anyone find this one interesting, though? 4Kids making something darker than it was originally in Japanese? "4Kids decides to change this to Meowth requiring his subjects to kill multiple animals to satisfy his voracious appetite" re: the meatballs? That's a real shocker for a company that loved to shy away from death, usually (the current TPCI dub does too, however, it's a Pokemon thing generally speaking be it under them, TAJ, DuArt, or Iyuno tbh).

I think the union issues were actually what he had a problem with. He likely didn't appreciate 4Kids' decision to make their TMNT a non-union production, as that's usually associated with lower pay and fewer benefits compared to union ones (it's worth noting that the vast majority of western-produced cartoons are fully unionized for at least the voice actors, compared to many anime dubs which are not). So he probably wasn't only upset about being replaced, but with said replacement being willing and able at the time to work for reduced pay and benefits, which could be seen as devaluing his profession. That all said, I don't think the personal attacks were warranted and I think he could have handled the situation a bit more professionally.

Likely so. I did actually prefer Paulsen's take, but I think Arcelus was generally a pretty talented VA in his own right (he actually did a pretty solid job with Yoh in the 2001 Shaman King dub, I thought, and his Rex from Yu-Gi-Oh was arguably less raspy than Sam Riegel's though I prefer the latter's take more).

Last edited:
Nothing about the quality of the episode, but:

1. It's frankly more surprising when Pokémon got away with something cause parents who insist on shirking their duties focus on the shows that are #1.

Plus I think parents expect foreign material to be more risqué.

In contrast, the DCAU and even 4Kids' TMNT show are merely just successful thus not something they expect to bother with. Heck beside Apokolips Now Part 2 from Superman TAS, one of it's other episodes The Late Mr. Kent is clear on the bad guy in the episode being in a gas chamber for execution and with a morbid bit of humor.

Namely wondering how Clark Kent survived his murder attempt. As the episode closes, he realizes that Kent is Superman, just as the gas fills his chamber.

2. @Dogasu But yeah just like the Chipmunks reference in "Gardie the Police Dog", I'm pretty sure that Popeye like with Chipmunks still got some good rerun time.

It's really just 2004 and up that airing oldies regularly fell out of fashion:-(.

Heck early mornings by the end of 2001 and early 2002 on the WB (Friday and Saturday), just before the KidsWB stuff came on? Filmation's The New Adventures of Batman (1978) aired.

Well many many people would very strongly disagree with you on that front, plenty of us think it's a damn good dub, i'll defend it on my deathbed as would many other Pokemon fans, so like it or not your opinion on the 4Kids dub is very much in the minority.

Personally I'll gladly take the 4Kids dub over the more "faithful" TCPI dub, as they change way more of the background music then 4Kids ever did(and the new music they created sounds bland as hell for the most part), screwed over the 4Kids voice-cast by firing them for daring to ask for more money(which led to the death of Maddie Blaustein as she was unable to pay for the necessary operation to correct the stomach virus she'd contracted due to the loss of income from getting fired as the voice of Meowth, so for that reason I will never forgive TCPI) and have much worse voice-acting IMO(sorry but the guy who voices James sounds like ass).
FWIW, I think the 4Kids dub of the main Series for Pokemon (OS & AG) was the best English dub the studio ever put out (runner ups would be Shaman King Uncut, 9 eps of Yu-Gi-Oh Uncut they did with FUNi in 2004 & Dark Side of Dimensions in 2017, but all their Yu-Gi-Oh dub work is notably worse than Pokemon's and each has an issue respectively of those I mentioned). I'll go into my thoughts on the dub if there's ever a relevant thread on it someday, trust me I do have a lot to say on the topic-- and I share many of your sentiments in the quality aspect.

Do want to clarify something re: the whole drama and fiasco that occurred during the English dub change and overhaul between Seasons 8 to 9 and Movies 8 to 9 in English, back in late 2006. There's a lot of mixed stories, and no one still really knows what the real story is here that occurred behind the scenes. You had one actor saying they couldn't continue because of contracts, others say they could've broken the contracts but were never asked, and one of the current actors said he thought an actor left the show before he even auditioned for a role.

Ultimately, what I can tell is there was a non-compete clause for 2 years, yes, but it's also true no one actually approached the principal 4Kids VAs or writing staff at the time of the switch (what Hidden Mew said is true re: the old, original 4Kids dub staff never asking for a raise or anything of the sort, they personally would've happily taken the same pay or less to continue onward with the dub) re: if they wanted to continue on with the TAJ/PUSA dub at the time at all excluding JCC and Kayzie Rogers who were apparently "in the loop" with the President of TAJ at the time, Larry Juris.

By the time they found out, the English dub had already been recast with "sound-alikes" at the time. All in all, it's still a pretty unfortunate event/situation that transpired at the end of the day despite business being business but pretty much all parties were at fault (4Kids for the NDAs, TAJ Productions for not even asking anyone but those two who were close to Juris, and PUSA/TPCi for assuming at least some of the former main cast wasn't willing to break the NDA if needed to continue on- Lillis more or less hinted as much the contract "wasn't impermeable in this fashion" and the producer at 4Kids at the time had already been sent the materials for the next season Battle Frontier awaiting further correspondence- when they all found out, was too late though).

P.S. From what I've heard, Ash's original English VA Veronica Taylor (Kathleen McInerney) is an absolute sweetheart, very kind & nice woman, she's gone on to have a fairly prolific Anime voice-over career post-Pokemon but it's still the role closest to her heart after all this time believe it or not (her biggest profile role these days is Sailor Pluto in the Viz Media dub of Sailor Moon).

Re: Rannells, that's a shame @Jared DiCarlo, I actually did like his VA work in his earlier days (never cared for Pokemon Live, though, on that we agree though it has early 2000s cheese charm).

I don't think they ever wanted most of the 4kids cast to reprise their roles after 2008. For example Veronica Taylor could have voiced May again in DP but they decided not to bring her back. Rachael Lillis could have voiced Misty in her SM cameos but they chose not to use her even 15 years later.

The CG Mewtwo movie also would have made sense nostalgia wise to use the 4kids cast for instead of the modern one and they still chose not to.
Sadly agree. IIRC DuArt had the option at the time to revert casts, but supposedly kept the TAJ cast for consistency (at the time, it was only 2 seasons to 4Kids' 8, much more baffling than now, that said). We're more or less stuck with the current core TPCI dub cast, really (I'll go into what I think of their work in another thread, not the place for it). The real issue is there's still no official English subs of Pokemon available of all the Series, that'd make it so much easier to tolerate the entire dub tbh.

P.S. Dogasu, looking forward to when you reach Season 17, I know you haven't reviewed anything out of the current dub after BWS1 and Diancie save M22/23 so far, a lot has changed & not in a good way in the last few years either.

Last edited:
darksteel6 said:

"Objectively" doesn't imply that at all.

I used the word "objectively" because, as I stated in the sentence preceding it, the episode was extremely unfaithful to its source material. Whether or not you don't mind (or even prefer) the changes 4Kids does to make it so unfaithful is another matter entirely.

AgedVeteranofShow said:
I will be interested when he gets past Episode 6 to see Haigney's thought process here when he reaches this ep in his podcast: this was one of his off-the-wall zany days, clearly. Looks like Episode 95 got a really good English dub script translation, in contrast, the dub has generally always been this way across the many companies handling it (some good days, some bad days).

I'm actually planning to talk about this very thing when I get to the absolute 180 the show takes in quality between "A Way Off Day Off" (a fairly decently handled episode) and "The Mandarin Island Miss Match" (an absolute dumpster fire).

I'm actually planning to talk about this very thing when I get to the absolute 180 the show takes in quality between "A Way Off Day Off" (a fairly decently handled episode) and "The Mandarin Island Miss Match" (an absolute dumpster fire).

Mind you I know you prefer the original Japanese names, but would this be in relation to the Lorelei/Prima (Kanna) change or does it get worse than that?

I do "like" how "Pokémon Where For Art Thou" in the opening narration flat out claims the opposite outcome saying that Ash came from having a victory over Prima.

Nothing about the quality of the episode, but:

1. It's frankly more surprising when Pokémon got away with something cause parents who insist on shirking their duties focus on the shows that are #1.

Plus I think parents expect foreign material to be more risqué.

In contrast, the DCAU and even 4Kids' TMNT show are merely just successful thus not something they expect to bother with. Heck beside Apokolips Now Part 2 from Superman TAS, one of it's other episodes The Late Mr. Kent is clear on the bad guy in the episode being in a gas chamber for execution and with a morbid bit of humor.

Namely wondering how Clark Kent survived his murder attempt. As the episode closes, he realizes that Kent is Superman, just as the gas fills his chamber.

2. @Dogasu But yeah just like the Chipmunks reference in "Gardie the Police Dog", I'm pretty sure that Popeye like with Chipmunks still got some good rerun time.

It's really just 2004 and up that airing oldies regularly fell out of fashion:-(.

Heck early mornings by the end of 2001 and early 2002 on the WB (Friday and Saturday), just before the KidsWB stuff came on? Filmation's The New Adventures of Batman (1978) aired.
And with these super old cartoon references... It's just the boomer 4kids writers inserting it into the script on their own accord cause they think it's funny/clever as well for the parents watching with their kids...

Also does anyone know why Rachel Lillis is barely in anything nowadays? She wasn't even in the shaman king reboot dub.

Last edited:
And with these super old cartoon references... It's just the boomer 4kids writers inserting it into the script on their own accord cause they think it's funny/clever as well for the parents watching with their kids...

Also does anyone know why Rachel Lillis is barely in anything nowadays? She wasn't even in the shaman king reboot dub.
Willing to bet that’s exactly it, so it’ll be interesting when M. Haigney reaches this point in his podcast if he confirms that’s what he did here. I can’t believe I never caught this random Wimpy reference here, though, surreal: how they snuck this stuff in is stunning. Totally unnecessary and uncalled for, but oddly interesting nonetheless.

Re: Lillis, her most recent role was in Hunter x Hunter 2019’s Movie dub as Cocco. Stuart reprised Marco Lasso in the Shaman King 2021 reboot VSI Los Angeles dub, also Kaiba in the recent 2017 Yu-Gi-Oh Movie IIRC.

Taylor tends to be the one who gets the most work of the original 4Kids English Pokémon dub cast since the 2010s: she was also Brianne/Ribrianne in Dragonball Super’s FUNimation dub recently (on that note she’s good IRL friends with Sean Schemmel aka “FUNimation dub Son Goku” iirc)- also in the Shaman King ‘21 dub reboot, too, yup.

Yeah, but didn't Popeye air on CN during that time though even it was just reruns?

Not sure, though I heard she would still be happy if approached to voice Misty again. Now I can appreciate that it wouldn't be any better to boot Natochenny of than they did back then with Taylor. Even Bill Rogers.

But when Misty started having appearances beyond clip show type material I can't imagine Knotz being upset about the role going back to the original VA.

Yeah, but didn't Popeye air on CN during that time though even it was just reruns?

Not sure, though I heard she would still be happy if approached to voice Misty again. Now I can appreciate that it wouldn't be any better to boot Natochenny of than they did back then with Taylor. Even Bill Rogers.

But when Misty started having appearances beyond clip show type material I can't imagine Knotz being upset about the role going back to the original VA.
I think so, likely it was for the parents they slipped this random old cartoon reference stuff in IMO. On the one hand, it’s nonsense they did it objectively, but on the other hand discovering these random references to other shows and such (I think the dub of Shaman King they did in 2003 referenced Speed Racer one time introducing Horohoro— not even kidding) is oddly fascinating nonetheless. Just the thought process here, why and yet…to keep the parents interested, I guess?

I think they’re sticking with the current dub cast since it’s been so long now (don’t get me wrong, definitely have my preferences though), but I certainly wouldn’t complain if Lillis were to reprise the role if for any reason Knotz couldn’t in the future.

Isn't Jesse barely in the series nowadays?

I wouldn't say objectively bad, either, but it definitely seems to be one of the worst episodes in the Season 2 dub itself by all metrics, Dogasu does specify it's just this episode he thinks was bad so I could understand (however, I admit I do still get a bit nostalgic hearing Blaustein as Meowth again as an English speaker, I sure do miss her portrayal these days- may she RIP).

In fairness, he did give the 4Kids era writing team credit for one clever line in "don't let the cat out of the bag" which was surprisingly close to the original intent, interesting. IIRC, I think it was still Michael Haigney doing the script adaptation for the English Version from Episode 1 of Indigo League until the end of Johto League Champions.

Did anyone find this one interesting, though? 4Kids making something darker than it was originally in Japanese? "4Kids decides to change this to Meowth requiring his subjects to kill multiple animals to satisfy his voracious appetite" re: the meatballs? That's a real shocker for a company that loved to shy away from death, usually (the current TPCI dub does too, however, it's a Pokemon thing generally speaking be it under them, TAJ, DuArt, or Iyuno tbh).

Likely so. I did actually prefer Paulsen's take, but I think Arcelus was generally a pretty talented VA in his own right (he actually did a pretty solid job with Yoh in the 2001 Shaman King dub, I thought, and his Rex from Yu-Gi-Oh was arguably less raspy than Sam Riegel's though I prefer the latter's take more).
4Kids has occasionally made things darker then they were in the original so not that surprising, there was one episode of GX where Jaden has to battle the Gravekeeper's Chief and his original fate if he lost would be to get turned into a mummy, guess what 4Kids changed the penalty for him losing into? Getting BURIED ALIVE! Jesus H Christ i'm surprised the censors weren't bothered by that one.
There was also an episode of One Piece that 4Kids made more disturbing as they changed Kuina's fate from getting her neck broken and dying. 4Kids changed her fate to Besting someone in a duel. He was embarrassed to loose to a girl. Returned with friends. Implied that they beat the ever-loving hell out of her and she was hospitalized. Too severely injured to ever fight again. Possible permanent coma from physical injury since we never see her after this.

Some also argue that the concept of the Shadow Realm that they came up with is a fate worse than death.

Willing to bet that’s exactly it, so it’ll be interesting when M. Haigney reaches this point in his podcast if he confirms that’s what he did here. I can’t believe I never caught this random Wimpy reference here, though, surreal: how they snuck this stuff in is stunning. Totally unnecessary and uncalled for, but oddly interesting nonetheless.

Re: Lillis, her most recent role was in Hunter x Hunter 2019’s Movie dub as Cocco. Stuart reprised Marco Lasso in the Shaman King 2021 reboot VSI Los Angeles dub, also Kaiba in the recent 2017 Yu-Gi-Oh Movie IIRC.

Taylor tends to be the one who gets the most work of the original 4Kids English Pokémon dub cast since the 2010s: she was also Brianne/Ribrianne in Dragonball Super’s FUNimation dub recently (on that note she’s good IRL friends with Sean Schemmel aka “FUNimation dub Son Goku” iirc)- also in the Shaman King ‘21 dub reboot, too, yup.
Taylor is also in that new Viz dub of Sailor Moon, unfortunately she and everyone else in that dub got stuck with very poor voice direction making their performances sound lifeless and dull(I think it was a massive overcorrection to try and assure Naoko that this dub would be nothing like the DiC dub).
"Objectively" doesn't imply that at all.

I used the word "objectively" because, as I stated in the sentence preceding it, the episode was extremely unfaithful to its source material. Whether or not you don't mind (or even prefer) the changes 4Kids does to make it so unfaithful is another matter entirely.

Fair enough, though I personally don't think being unfaithful to the source material automatically makes something objectively bad. For example Jaws was definitely a better film for not being completely faithful to the original novel(I doubt too many people were upset that the whole subplot about the mafia wasn't in the film, and speaking of the Mafia, the Godfather film was definitely better for being very different to the book, which had some really cringy writing in some spots).
I thought Mandarin Island Miss Match was an alright episode(well aside from Ash being a brat). it's interesting that that episode is one of the rare instances where Japan actually censored an episode after the original broadcast(which is almost unheard of as Japan almost never censors their own TV shows)I guess Prima/Lorelai's cleavage was too much even for them LOL.

4Kids has occasionally made things darker then they were in the original so not that surprising, there was one episode of GX where Jaden has to battle the Gravekeeper's Chief and his original fate if he lost would be to get turned into a mummy, guess what 4Kids changed the penalty for him losing into? Getting BURIED ALIVE! Jesus H Christ i'm surprised the censors weren't bothered by that one.
There was also an episode of One Piece that 4Kids made more disturbing as they changed Kuina's fate from getting her neck broken and dying. 4Kids changed her fate to Besting someone in a duel. He was embarrassed to loose to a girl. Returned with friends. Implied that they beat the ever-loving hell out of her and she was hospitalized. Too severely injured to ever fight again. Possible permanent coma from physical injury since we never see her after this.

Some also argue that the concept of the Shadow Realm that they came up with is a fate worse than death.
Amazing. Simply amazing. Know about the Shadow Realm stuff, but never knew on the GX dub.

I'll say this, I do recall in the 4Kids era for Pokemon, they actually let references to God & heaven slip through as well on occasion: TPCI hasn't let that that occur in the current dub to this day and covered it up so many times now, for fear of offending different religions apparently (there are certain perks to the scripts before the change-over & after, I actually preferred 4Kids' writing style slightly despite the random rewrites due to TRio's dialogue being more comprehensible pre-Cathcart becoming the dub's overlord & less slang being prevalent everywhere back then- can't tell you how many times I heard the words "So psyched," "lugs," and "Dig it" uttered in the modern day dub, Meowth has especially got the worst dialogue).

Taylor is also in that new Viz dub of Sailor Moon, unfortunately she and everyone else in that dub got stuck with very poor voice direction making their performances sound lifeless and dull(I think it was a massive overcorrection to try and assure Naoko that this dub would be nothing like the DiC dub).

Fair enough, though I personally don't think being unfaithful to the source material automatically makes something objectively bad. For example Jaws was definitely a better film for not being completely faithful to the original novel(I doubt too many people were upset that the whole subplot about the mafia wasn't in the film, and speaking of the Mafia, the Godfather film was definitely better for being very different to the book, which had some really cringy writing in some spots).
I thought Mandarin Island Miss Match was an alright episode(well aside from Ash being a brat). it's interesting that that episode is one of the rare instances where Japan actually censored an episode after the original broadcast(which is almost unheard of as Japan almost never censors their own TV shows)I guess Prima/Lorelai's cleavage was too much even for them LOL.
I think she was one of the better performances to come from it vs the other recasts, but Sailor Moon is another franchise where YMMV re: preferences (IIRC DiC's ancient dub had some good VA work, crap everything else- Cloverway's dub the exact reverse and they had a cousin sibling dialogue change, while Viz's current dub is the most faithful of the group but some of the VA work is hit or miss at the same time).

I find it incredible the script writing work goes up and down like a rollercoaster no matter who has the rights to the English dub for Pokemon, though, JCC's current work is my least favorite on the whole but to go from EP095 (good) to EP096 (bad) to EP098 (decent) to EP099 (bad) is stunning- did Haigney just decide to rewrite when he was in a bad mood or something? Fascinating.

Last edited:
Amazing. Simply amazing. Know about the Shadow Realm stuff, but never knew on the GX dub.

I'll say this, I do recall in the 4Kids era for Pokemon, they actually let references to God & heaven slip through as well on occasion: TPCI hasn't let that that occur in the current dub to this day and covered it up so many times now, for fear of offending different religions apparently (there are certain perks to the scripts before the change-over & after, I actually preferred 4Kids' writing style slightly despite the random rewrites due to TRio's dialogue being more comprehensible pre-Cathcart becoming the dub's overload & less slang being prevalent everywhere back then- can't tell you how many times I heard the words "So psyched," "lugs," and "Dig it" uttered in the modern day dub, Meowth has especially got the worst dialogue).
Same thing happened with Sailor Moon once Cloverway took over the dubbing for S and Super S, they kept the original music but they threw in a TON of slang to make up for it, worse then DiC ever did(with "Kickin It Into High Gear" being the absolute nadir, just look at the episode comparison on SMUncensored).
It is funny how knee-jerk TCPI are being, like seriously I learned about different religions as a kid from freaking Arthur, so there's no excuse for them not being in the dub. Kids can handle that sort of thing just fine.

Wasn't Suzanne goldish (sonic x Chris, 4kids alumni) the voice director of the sailor moon dub? It would explain ALOT.

Back
Top Bottom