1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If your account is currently registered using an @aol.com, @comcast.net or @verizon.net email address, you should change this to another email address. These providers have been rejecting all emails from @bulbagarden.net email addresses, preventing user registrations, and thread/conversation notifications. If you have been impacted by this issue and are currently having trouble logging into your account, please contact us via the link at the bottom right hand of the forum home, and we'll try to sort things out for you as soon as possible.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Bulbagarden has launched a new public Discord server. Click Here!
    Dismiss Notice

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Discussion in 'Pokémon Anime and Manga' started by Pokemaster Justin, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Tothenines

Tothenines Registered User

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I'll give you Chikorita/Bayleef. It has more personality than Turtwig, which doesn't really have one to speak of. I always did think Ash's Chikorita was the cutest thing ever.

Cyndaquil and Totodile never really had personality to me. Corphish was what Totodile was probably intended to be like, so the writers got it right the second time. Noctowl, like Ash's other birds, didn't have much personality either.

Honestly, if Ash's Johto team was Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charizard, Heracross and Phanpy...it would have been a hell of a lot more enjoyable season than it turned out.

Totodile should have went to Misty, and Brock could have captured Cyndaquil to replace Vulpix. Ash didn't need those Johto starters at all and now they're completely useless compared to his other teams. No wonder why the writers abandoned them.

2. Pokemaster Justin

Pokemaster Justin Lets Do It.

Blog Posts:
    I disagree Scott I think that Chrizard would have made his gym battles less intersting..

I wish Johto he did like these other seasons and just got rid of his Pokemon/stored them at Oaks.

Perhaps than you would have like his team better.

Chickorita
    Totodile
    Cyndaquil
    Heracross
    Phanpy
    Noctowl

Pikachu doesn't really count...

#22 Pokemaster Justin, Sep 11, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  3. Tothenines

Tothenines Registered User

Blog Posts:
    The two best Johto Gyms were Falkner and Clair's Gyms though, both Gyms where Charizard participated in.

BTW, sorry if I'm going off-topic from Dogasu's site. lol.

4. Adamant

Adamant Active Member

Blog Posts:
    Agreed. A good number of Pokeani's user-submitted "parody" remarks seem like nothing but random coincidences.

5. Dogasu

Dogasu ロケット団よ永遠

Blog Posts:
    Yeah...that's why I went ahead and posted the picture so that you guys could kind of see for yourself. The movie rental only cost me the equivalent of like $1.50, so it's not that big a deal that I spent money to get some screenshots of people who only barely resemble the characters in Pocket Monsters.

6. AtoMan

AtoMan Away from Collective

Blog Posts:
    I went and checked the DVDs, and:
    - "A Chip Off the Old Brock" has no exclamation mark
    - "Wheel of Frontier", "May's Egg-cellent Adventure", "Harley Rides Again" too
    - "Tactics Theatrics!!" has TWO o_O
    - "Queen of the Serpentine!", and everything between "Odd Pokémon Out!" and "Talking A Good Game!" has one.

As for "Queen of the Serpentine", the DVD version has wery weird bug on the title screen...
    [​IMG]
    TV version:
    [​IMG]
    Seems they, for some reason, chose to remake this titlescreen (which leaves in question all the "exclamation" inconsistences between your site and first boxset), then put the "corrected" title over it...

7. Jorah

Jorah Custom User Title

Blog Posts:
    The fact that "Totodile dancing" is more personality than Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charmander, Cyndaquil and Turtwig is hilariously sad.

8. Blackjack Gabbiani

Blackjack Gabbiani A black and white world

Blog Posts:
    Ever agreed with any of them?

Although there's one I noticed that I don't think they did, and that's the source of Bannai's name.

9. Adamant

Adamant Active Member

Blog Posts:
    Oh, there are definitly a lot of intentional references in the series. I doubt anyone believes the fact that one of Team Rocket's remote controls for one of their mecha looked a lot like a Wii remote was just a freak coincidence, for instance.

10. Yash

Yash CHOCOLATE

Blog Posts:
    Or the nunchuk.

Maybe we'll see Wiimotion sometime soon, too.

11. Dogasu

Dogasu ロケット団よ永遠

Blog Posts:
    Some of them, yeah. But not always. This Doraemon case being one of those times when I don't.

Here are some more screencaps I took from the Doraemon DVD (and may I say...this movie looks fantastic for being eighteen years old):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm still not seeing it...they remind me more of Moltar, personally.

#31 Dogasu, Sep 12, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  12. JB88

JB88 Member

Blog Posts:
    How odd...just a sidenote, but how come these images load from the bottom up?

13. Dogasu

Dogasu ロケット団よ永遠

Blog Posts:
    No clue...because they're .bmps, maybe?

14. Jorah

Jorah Custom User Title

Blog Posts:
    Or just that all the Pokedexes look like Gameboys etc. The Sinnoh Pokedex looks more like the DS than the others look like Gameboys, I think, though

15. archer9234

archer9234 Serious Pokemon Fan

Blog Posts:
    Whatever current hand held Nintendo has out, the Zukan/Pokedex will be it.

16. Yamato-san

Yamato-san yandere=awesome

Blog Posts:
    looking at the Japanese version of that store sign, I think I can barely make out the outline of the word "POKEMON". I think it's also worth noting that it's spelled that way... if it was really added by 4kids, chances are that they would've used that little apostrophe over a lower-case "e", a spelling which I think first came about with Nintendo's localization (how often do you just see it spelled as "Pokemon" in official English media?). It would also kinda make sense, seeing as Satoshi went there to buy an item intended for healing Pokemon, and the outer-design is adorned by Monster Balls.

Either way, it doesn't make much sense... I could assume this store is meant to be some portrayal of the shops in the RPGs, but they're not called "Pokemon Shops", in either Japanese or English. In English, they're called "Pokemarts", and in Japanese, they're called "Friendly Shops". BTW Dogasu, I'm surprised you said nothing of Shigeru exiting the store. What's even funnier is that the scene where he hits Satoshi with the door is seen in the preview at the end of the previous episode, almost as if they were trying to hype up his reappearance (I guess English-viewers were spared this kind of teasing, seeing as the next-episode previews are removed).

though, this brings up another question: why? Everybody knows they're the antagonists (or at least try to be), so why not make them seem threatening from the get-go? This is why making stuff more "kid-friendly" never works out: I'm pretty sure a three-year old could figure this stuff out.

And I swear to god, if EVERYBODY in the store immediately turning paranoid from the event and pulling a gun (which they all happened to be carrying) out on the next innocent person who simply walks in isn't a stereotype of Westerners, I don't know what is (it took place in an Old West-style town, too). XD

17. Jorah

Jorah Custom User Title

Blog Posts:
    Ah, the origiri...no joke, when I was 9 me and my younger brothers and sisters were laughing that they were calling them doughnuts instead of rice balls. We're not Japanese or anything, we're English, lived in England all our lives and never been to another country, not even for a holiday (aww).

Oh, I heard about the "we're going to dye your hair/you're going to die" edit.

18. Blackjack Gabbiani

Blackjack Gabbiani A black and white world

Blog Posts:
    It's funny...Pokémon's the only fandom I've ever been in where people grouse about removal of Japanese text. They're doing it on Digimon Data Squad (which takes place IN JAPAN and no effort has ever been made to avoid that), and the fandom is basically like "Eh, what are ya gonna do?"

19. Lil Brother

Lil Brother is watching you

Blog Posts:
    Whoa, never saw that beer sign before. That's pretty unexpected, and kinda funny that 4Kids left it in. XD

20. Yash

Yash CHOCOLATE

Blog Posts:
    Well, I'd imagine that's because that while the Pokemon dub only removes Japanese text (and on occasion English text), other 4Kids dubs will completely wipe everything. In fact, the Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's dub that premiered today erased everything except for some vital information (usually the only exception) and the word "SECURITY" on Ushio's jacket.

When you have both Japanese and English text being removed, I think most people would consider the latter to be more ridiculous.