• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

I'm watching a LOT of Japanese episodes on youtube, and it seems as though 4Kids really started to change the music when they got into their new way of doing the episodes. Meaning having that end commerical before the show ends as well.

Honestly I would be that upset about the music being replaced as I only really enjoy the battle music the best, but I LOVE the ending music to the shows too...esp the sad Kanto piano song, and the happy cheerful one from Kanto too, I never really got to hear the Johto ending music...which one I heard was an Ok! remix (again) do they have more?? Jorah??

Also since I really don't watch Diamond and Pearl, do they still use the piano music from Kanto??

I'm watching a LOT of Japanese episodes on youtube, and it seems as though 4Kids really started to change the music when they got into their new way of doing the episodes. Meaning having that end commerical before the show ends as well.

Honestly I would be that upset about the music being replaced as I only really enjoy the battle music the best, but I LOVE the ending music to the shows too...esp the sad Kanto piano song, and the happy cheerful one from Kanto too, I never really got to hear the Johto ending music...which one I heard was an Ok! remix (again) do they have more?? Jorah??

Also since I really don't watch Diamond and Pearl, do they still use the piano music from Kanto??

I haven't watched many Johto episodes, and most in dub, just 1 or 2 in Japanese. I really need to start watching Johto in Japanese...I think the person who used to be mcgoldmember will know, I can't remember his new user name haha.

Eh...I'm not seeing it :/

I wasn't sure, so I thought I'd thrown it in and see what people thought. When I first watched it I thought of the random boy in episode 9 and a few other people did too, that's my excuse heh.

Got a new video up on my YouTube page...

Weedle Mchairybug; said:
Well, if we want to get technical, the
Pokemon world isn't exactly Japan

Fine then. Satoshi and his friends are the equivalent of Japanese people walking around in Japan since they're not actually *in* Japan. Is that better?

As for your assumption as to what I meant, it's somewhat that, and it's official thanks to that interview with Hidaka.

I think you're clinging to that interview too much. They may have made a conscious decision to make Takeshi look more Japanese than everyone else, but that doesn't strip everyone else of their Japanese-ness. It's just that Takeshi's features are more defined.

It's the same thing in American cartoons, really; nobody really goes out of their way to depict the American characters as being American. You just assume that characters in American cartoons are, by default, American unless stated otherwise.

That... didn't exactly look Japanese.

You should spend some time in Japan. The kind of clothes the kids wear in Pocket Monsters would look like costumes if worn in the U.S., but in Japan, you see kids wearing those kidns of clothes all the time.

Err...
I'm a roman catholic, I am trying out italian food (and had Pizza on occasion), I try to observe feast days (which are the same thing as holidays, anyways), yet, despite fitting 3/4ths of the duck test, I'm not italian.
So, I don't exactly get it.

The duck test isn't "this thing has all these things in common, so it must, without a shadow of a doubt, be this." It's more like "this thing has all these things in common, so it's probably safe to assume that it's this." Nobody ever said it was foolproof.

It's probably one of those things that the anime producers felt was obvious enough that they didn't have to directly say it. Like Pikachu's gender or Harley's sexuality. We don't need every little thing about these characters spoonfed to us.

Besides, it's not like there's tons of evidence against the gang being Japanese or anything.

Pokemaster Justin said:

I noticed them getting really bad at the start of Season 3, actually. As you watch the Orange Islands episodes, you'll notice a LOT more 4Kids music being used in the later episodes than the earlier ones.

Sometimes, but the dub replaces it a good 50% of the time.

^^ Ahh, what video? I went on your page and I don't see any videos on there, and the one you put up of Machisu saying the swear got me this message,

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Shogakukan Production Co. Ltd."

You should spend some time in Japan. The kind of clothes the kids wear in Pocket Monsters would look like costumes if worn in the U.S., but in Japan, you see kids wearing those kidns of clothes all the time.

The majority of them don't look like costumes here either. Only ones like Dawn really would. Heck, with the popularity of cargo pants, people walk around dressed like Brock and they don't even realize it.
Although hardly anyone wears gloves here.

Ash looks like he's wearing a hoodie and a hat in Advance Gen...yeah haven't seen too many american kids wearing that.

^^ Ahh, what video? I went on your page and I don't see any videos on there, and the one you put up of Machisu saying the swear got me this message,

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Shogakukan Production Co. Ltd."

Unfortunately, this is why it's almost pointless to put anything related to the Pokemon anime on YouTube for more than a few days. Why Shogakukan has such a problem when there's plenty of anime up there that actually gets an uncut subbed release, I don't know. I think I was only able to put up four clips (just short clips, not entire episodes) before I was banned.

You're probably better off finding somewhere else to put your videos Dogasu. No clue where that would be though.

They got taken off? Both of them? (I'm at work now, so I can't check for myself).

Well...that's not really unexpected. Though I am surprised that it stayed up as long as it did.

How on earth did Haigney not know that Charmander was going to be a main Pokemon in the group as well?? They got the episodes 52 in advance, so you'd think they'd at least know certain key plot poitns.
Well, my theory is that, the whole concept of Pokemon was still strange and completely new to Michael Haigney at the time.

And, as for not knowing about Charmander, I honestly think that was just Michael's personal opinion. He simply didn't think the Japanese writers would setup the show that way. So basically, he just assumed Charmander would only be in one particular episode, and for the next episode they'd showcase a different Pokemon.

At least, this was my impression of Michael's statement, the first time I watched the 3rd movie audio commentary.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with Michael Haigney believing that was the case. I mean, it's true that this wasn't the actual case for the show, but who cares? I wouldn't make a big deal out of Michael's opinion or anything, but that's just me. XD

I rather liked Charmander's voice, so its no big deal the way he did it to me.
Yeah, I liked Charmander's voice too.

In fact, I liked all of Micheal Haigney's Pokemon voices. And I hope he returns when Pokemon USA gets around to dubbing the Psyduck episode!! ^_^

I recently picked up the first box set of Battle Frontier, and when I was watching "King and Queen for a Day!", I noticed that PUSA had replaced the vocal version of 'Gotta Dance' (with Maddie Blaustein singing) with an instrumental version.
Yay! That's great news, joshnickerson! ^^

Also, I think Maddie would be very happy to hear that Pokemon USA has fixed this awful mistake. Yay! I'll have to send her an email and let her know about that! :ksmile:

And by the way, here is my response to someone's post from another thread.

Can't you at least let those of us who prefer the dub....do so?
Yeah, Dogasu tends to come off as someone who hates the dub version in general.

But, to be honest, I don't think he actually hates the dub. Hate is a pretty strong word. And I personally think Dogasu just prefers the Japanese version. So, when he goes to watch the dub for his website comparisons, he probably wonders what's up with 4Kids/Pokemon USA, and why they made all those stupid, pointless changes in the first place. He doesn't go around saying things like, "Ugh, this show is terrible! This is the worst anime dub I've ever seen, and it's completely unwatchable! Why is Pokemon still on the air in the US?".

Anyway, my point is, I think Dogasu must like the Pokemon dub somewhat, otherwise, he wouldn't bother watching the dub in the first place. Heck, even if Dogasu's only reason for watching the Pokemon dub is simply to do his comparisons - still, I think it's very nice of him to simply acknowledge the dub and give credit where credit is due (for example, mentioning things that 4Kids/Pokemon USA actually did right, saying positive comments about the dub, etc). And what I find most fascinating, is that Dogasu actually enjoys watching the Pokemon dub sometimes. I mean, it's awesome that he can still enjoy the dub, despite his own preference of the Japanese version! ^_^

But then again, I could be completely wrong about everything I've said here. In which case, I'm gonna feel like an idiot (or baka) for saying this, lol. XD

And I'm sorry Dogasu, if I am indeed wrong about what I've said. ^^;

Last edited:
Dogasu said:

Some of these costumes/clothes do look futuristic though. Looking at the new Battle Frontier's Factory Head, for example. Another point in relation to this, is when I saw the screenshots for the Celestic Town contest, I noticed that in the flashback where they're showing Dawn's mother and her rival in battle, the stage and everything looks the same as where Ash & Co. are now. I'm assuming it's a 25-30 year gap between mother and daughter, but how come everything looks "advanced" back then? In older episodes where they had flashbacks from different, it had that accurate setting, and you knew they didn't have certain "technologies" like you have now (ex: locomotive trains, little Oak's Pokeball, etc.).

I can see why there can be many disagreements between the original and the dub. I believe that it all comes down to society and culture. This country has become very sensitive to things that may deem inappropriate or confusing to little children. I don't know if these statements were already made in the past, but I do not like it, if this is true. But that's the way this country has become, stemming from its own history.

If you don't put the 2 *obvious* tags in as a related tag, then that friendly company can't find it. Or, at least, will have a harder time finding it. I've got 100+ clips over 3 months with no worries

Yay! That's great news, joshnickerson! ^^

Also, I think Maddie would be very happy to hear that Pokemon USA has fixed this awful mistake. Yay! I'll have to send her an email and let her know about that! :ksmile:

So that's why I didn't hear it in the UK version...personally, I prefer it *with* the singing, it's much crazier

Yeah, I prefer Gotta Dance with the singing too! It's awesome! =D

However, the problem is...Maddie didn't appreciate what Pokemon USA did at all, considering the VA switch. And I really felt sorry for her when this episode aired. So yeah, I'm glad that they've fixed that mistake now! ^^

Last edited:
I've got my videos on Daily Motion now. Let's see how that works out.

PokemonTrainerLisa said:
Well, my theory is that, the whole concept of Pokemon was still strange and completely new to Michael Haigney at the time.

At the same time...they were already eleven episodes into the series. By that point, Michael Haigney would have seen Caterpie, Pigeotto, and Bulbasaur have PokeBalls thrown at them and then become members of the main cast. Why in the world would he think that Charmander would be any different?

But, to be honest, I don't think he actually hates the dub. Hate is a pretty strong word. And I personally think Dogasu just prefers the Japanese version.

That's mostly accurate. I wouldn't call myself a fan of the dub at all, but I can at least recognize that there are much, much worse dubs out there. And I'd like to think that I can give the dubbers credit where credit's due.

Heck, even if Dogasu's only reason for watching the Pokemon dub is simply to do his comparisons

That's pretty much exactly it. Other than the early Kanto stuff (though who here can say that they haven't seen all those episodes a million times before?), I've only seen the English version of most episodes one time each. And if I ever want to go back and rewatch any of the series, I default to the Japanese version every single time because I have absolutely no reason to watch the dub when I'm not working on my site.

Some people hate me for that or throw around the word "elitist" whenever I try to explain my preferences, but I really don't care at this point.

Some notes on your Shipwreck comparasion:

Later, when Takeshi is recounting the tale of Noah and his ark, he mentions that a pigeon went and got the branch to let him know that dry land was nearby, making the fact that Satoshi use his pigeon pokemon for the same purpose kind of a neat parallel. In the dub, Brock simply says that "a bird" went and got the branch.

The original was also incorrect, at least as far as common translation goes. Pigeons are related to doves, but they're not the same thing, and pretty much every translation of that story cites that he sent out a dove (of course, I don't read Latin or Hebrew or Aramaic so there might be some other word there originally, but hey).

Kasumi didn't know that Magikarp becomes Gyarados? What the HELL? How could she--or ANYONE--not know that?

Also, something to keep in mind in a couple of episodes--was Delia ever told that Ash was presumed dead? Because you'd think she would be...but when she sees him in Porta Vista, she's not surprised at all...and moreover she's on vacation! (vacation with a guy who, when asked why he's there with her, gets flustered and changes the subject, but that's a seperate point)

Oh yes, and watching the clip you posted to show that you can hear Japanese Meowth brings up another point--is Dragon Rage subject to the whole "attack in numbers" thing that things like Unowns are?
Although Misty saying "No one's ever gotten away from Dragon Rage!" is really funny because doesn't it have a 100% hit rate? Or something?

Anyways... To get onto topic with the recent comparison (and the first Kanto episode throughout the redo to actually get a complete comparison, in the words of Dogasu), I want to mention some of what I thought of the OOC things.

First off, in regards to how Misty is oddly calm. I think it would stand to reason that she would have some sort of calmness of the situation at hand, since, really, someone had to have led them off the ship, someone with nautical experience (like shipbuilding, for instance), and that experience would naturally go to Misty, hence giving her an advantage at the situation. Besides, she wasn't TOTALLY OOC, she did shout at Team Rocket during that sentimental moment, and she did threaten to throw Team Rocket's pokemon in the water (though, personally, I think she was bluffing, since she knew very well that throwing them in the water would probably upset the balance even further, and thus wouldn't risk it. Why they needed to place Koffing back in the poke ball isn't made clear, since it floats around anyways, and thus wouldn't really impact the balance [unless it touches the ceiling.].), and shouted at them to shake hands. That doesn't exactly explain the Gyarados plothole, but, then again, the whole Gyarados fear didn't really reveal itself until Johto (I mean, when she saw a gyarados banner in "Our hero meowth", she didn't even give a nervous shudder at the sight of it.). Plus, she was probably so shocked and horrified that she couldn't even begin to mention something more serious. Believe me, it happens. Heck, Vegeta in "Broly, the Legendary Super Saiyan" for example, was so scared of Broly that he couldn't say any more than "He's the legendary super saiyan", so even if she did know, she probably was too fearful to say it right (which is understandable, since if you were extremely fearful or nervous about some terrible thing, even you can get tongue-tied).

As for Brock's fiery personality, I think he showed hints at having a fiery personality prior and after this episode, and even afterwards. I mean, Other than his frequent "Charles Harper"-esque urge to womanize, in Bulbasaur and the Hidden Village, for example, when Misty was asking if Brock liked Melaine [in a bit of a teasing manner, but still], he hit her (twice, not to mention), and got rough on her. His reaction to Damian abandoning Charmander Definitely wasn't calm nor collected. Heck, in Johto, he even got into an arguement with Ash as to who should capture Donphan [even having Misty try to break it up, not to mention], and also arguing that he should keep Togepi since he raised it (which, if he truly was the pokemon expert/breeder he was, he would have realized that the key aspect of a baby pokemon's mother is that it believes it's mom is the first [living] thing it sees, and since Misty was seen first, then it chose Misty to be it's mom, regardless if he raised it or not.).

Meowth, well, the logical explaination of his arquaphobia is due to Hysteria. I mean, he was trapped on a sunken ship, with his own life at stake, and now they have to escape the ship by swimming up with seconds left, literally everything would freak him out, water or not. I mean, most of the other episodes involving him being near water never really had him in a life-threatening situation (being stranded on a (not even completely) sunken wreck visible above water doesn't count, since it isn't THAT much of a life threatening situation.), so the only possible explaination is that he was in a dire situation and had Hysteria flowing through him)

As for Pikachu being a Jerk in this episode, considering how he acted most of the time of that season, he was kinda on-character here. Besides, he was working together with Meowth, which, considering how Meowth acted to him, was explainable, not to mention was the first time.

Also, the Onix thing was kinda explainable since they rushed up at their max speed (as evidenced by their "Come on, lets go!", and their running up Onix.)

Also, yeah it does, but that doesn't mean they can't survive it. Also, speaking of Dragon Rage, in the episode "Fire and Ice", Arcanine used Dragon rage, and it was only a small whirlwind, not the water/tornado that we saw, which hints that A caught pokemon's abilities might not be as tough as if it's wild (or at least, it's not powerful enough, since Arcanine is definitely not nearly as powerful as a Gyarados, generally speaking, even without type comparisons.).

Blackjack Palazzo said:
The original was also incorrect, at least as far as common translation goes. Pigeons are related to doves, but they're not the same thing, and pretty much every translation of that story cites that he sent out a dove (of course, I don't read Latin or Hebrew or Aramaic so there might be some other word there originally, but hey).

I actually should have checked my dictionary for that note because while I knew that 鳩 means "pigeon," it also apparently means "dove." I'll have to make a note of that when I get a chance.

Also, something to keep in mind in a couple of episodes--was Delia ever told that Ash was presumed dead?

I guess not. Same with Kasumi's sisters or Takeshi's family. Which is surprising since you'd think they would have done that.

I'm more surprised that Musashi and Kojirou bothered to register as passengers using their real names, though. Wouldn't you think they'd at least use some kind of alias?

is Dragon Rage subject to the whole "attack in numbers" thing that things like Unowns are?

I would think that pretty much all energy-based attacks would be like that. I mean, look at the last episode, for example; all those Rocket Grunts couldn't have been disposed of so quickly if everyone wasn't attacking at the same time.

Weedle Mchairybug said:
First off, in regards to how Misty is oddly calm. I think it would stand to reason that she would have some sort of calmness of the situation at hand, since, really, someone had to have led them off the ship, someone with nautical experience (like shipbuilding, for instance), and that experience would naturally go to Misty, hence giving her an advantage at the situation.

Fair enough. At the same time, however, it's usually Kasumi who's the one freaking out all the time, while in this episode, she doesn't seem all that worried at all other than her "I don't want to die here" line.

Besides, she wasn't TOTALLY OOC, she did shout at Team Rocket during that sentimental moment, and she did threaten to throw Team Rocket's pokemon in the water

Actually, she threatened to throw them (as in Musashi and Kojirou) into the water.

(Why they needed to place Koffing back in the poke ball isn't made clear, since it floats around anyways, and thus wouldn't really impact the balance)

Same with Ishitsubute who, for some reason, apparently forgot how to float in that one scene in this episode.

Has there been any other episode in the series where we've seen Ishitsubute hop around instead of just float there?

Plus, she was probably so shocked and horrified that she couldn't even begin to mention something more serious. Believe me, it happens. Heck, Vegeta in "Broly, the Legendary Super Saiyan" for example, was so scared of Broly that he couldn't say any more than "He's the legendary super saiyan", so even if she did know, she probably was too fearful to say it right (which is understandable, since if you were extremely fearful or nervous about some terrible thing, even you can get tongue-tied).

Not to get too off-topic...but I thought that Vegeta acting like some whiny female dog throughout that movie was extremely OOC for him as well. He has way too much pride to let someone's power reduce him to some pants-wetting crybaby.

As for Brock's fiery personality, I think he showed hints at having a fiery personality prior and after this episode

Hints, yeah. But it's very rare to see Takeshi act all full-blown "Season One Satoshi" the way he does in this episode. The look on his face when he's shaking Kojirou's hands kind of threw me off as well.

Meowth, well, the logical explaination of his arquaphobia is due to Hysteria.

I took it as the anime producers going for the whole "cats hate water" thing. Which makes a lot of sense, actually. Unfortunately, other than in this episode, I don't think they ever really do anything else with it.

As for Pikachu being a Jerk in this episode, considering how he acted most of the time of that season, he was kinda on-character here. Besides, he was working together with Meowth, which, considering how Meowth acted to him, was explainable, not to mention was the first time.

Yeah...but to be so far as to be upset when it finds out that Nyasu didn't die? It may not have any reason to like Nyasu, but it seems a bit harsh to wish he was dead.

Also, the Onix thing was kinda explainable since they rushed up at their max speed (as evidenced by their "Come on, lets go!", and their running up Onix.)

Still...even for the brief moment it's out, it should have had some effect on things.

I am a big fan of Dogasu's Backpack, I check it at least once every couple of days to check for new updates, and I find the comparisons very interesting and informitive. Keep up the great work Dogasu

I don't see how anyone was out of character at all...Misty's not always a "hot head", and the characters are on the verge of death I'm sure you'd act a bit different as well.

I liked the comparison. More new ones!

This three parter was a prime example of how Indigo was amazing - the scene when the get attacked by the Garados still gives me chills.

Back
Top Bottom