• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

I'm glad Dogasu doesn't think Gible is all that great either. That being said Gliscor was a much funnier and more memorable Pokemon.

I think so too.

Although I haven't watched many episode with Gible in it, definitely put me in the Gliscor camp. Dude shouldn't have left like he did. :/

That being said, I kind of hope Gible gets to stay around for a bit in the next series and do some stuff at least.

Dogasu

Dogasu's Backpack said:
I also have a bit of an issue with the dub making Jessie out to hate learning, especially since we saw her spend an entire episode taking notes at Dawn's and Zoey's battle not two episodes ago.

It's just comedy speak, not to be taken seriously (especially during a blast off of all things). Neither you nor any other fan should worry about the dialogue being used. It's often full of quick retorts, comical jabs, and alliterative speech. It's no more concrete than the all the silly puns that get thrown around.

This isn't the first time the dub has dumbed her down, and it's still annoying to have your favorite characters rewritten so badly. I doubt most fans even realize what the Rocket-Dan really act like.

I think a lot of them do realize how they can be, which is why the Rockets can be such a touchy subject.

Take Meowth's love episode for example. We all know that it's just a gag episode. Meowth wouldn't be staying with another Pokemon forever; the gang isn't being broken up; the Rocket dyamic will continue for eons to come. But it's still a comedy act that gets put on display for us anyway. They do it despite us knowing the outcome. It goes without saying that no matter how goofy TR acts or how crazy they get with their mottos, they're part of one cohesive unit and possess traits that tell us "THIS is Jessie, THIS is James, THIS is Meowth."

That doesn't change the fact that TPCi will probably butcher that episode when they get round to it because of the way they choose to write Meowth.

Nyarth-centred episodes and Meowth-centred episodes may as well be two completely different things.

Yes, they will literally chop up the reel into tiny pieces with knives and meat carvers, just to specifically piss you off, Thingamajig.

Actually, I believe all the episodes are digital now, so they'll probably use the Recycle Bin. Oh the horror.

Also I do wonder wht PUSA still has not taken the step of releasing PKMN in dual audio tracks with subs like other recent anime releases? Call me elitist but I want to see the edits in dialouge real time with the extra help of Dogasu.

Also I do wonder wht PUSA still has not taken the step of releasing PKMN in dual audio tracks with subs like other recent anime releases? Call me elitist but I want to see the edits in dialouge real time with the extra help of Dogasu.

Mainly because we grown-up Internet nerds are the only people who care about getting the Japanese version on DVD in America, and there aren't enough of us for PUSA to justify doing that. Their demographic is kids, and kids don't care about seeing "Pokémon" in Japanese. (Well, most of 'em don't, anyway.)

Ryuutakeshi said:
Um, Dogasu? Doesn't the RYUU part have something to do with dragons?

Different kanji. If it was written out in kanji and not hiragana, the ryuu in ryuuseigun would be the kanji that means flowing or shooting (as in "shooting star"). The ryuu kanji used for dragon simply means "dragon."

Gliscor'd said:
I'm glad Dogasu doesn't think Gible is all that great either. That being said Gliscor was a much funnier and more memorable Pokemon.

Glion isn't really all the funny or memorable, either.

Fukamaru's alright. Not great, but not terrible, either. If it wasn't for this fandom, I'd probably enjoy it a lot more.

V Faction said:
Neither you nor any other fan should worry about the dialogue being used.

Thanks for telling me how to enjoy the show!! So glad you're here to keep me straight!

Netto Azure said:

Jesse GS the II is right; there's no market for it in the US, unfortunately. The time, money, and manpower necessary to release a subtitled version of the show wouldn't pay off for TPCI since most people seem content with the shitty box sets that are already out.

And anyone who would call you an elitist for wanting to watch the show in its original language is probably an insecure elitist themselves.

Jesse GS the II is right; there's no market for it in the US, unfortunately. The time, money, and manpower necessary to release a subtitled version of the show wouldn't pay off for TPCI since most people seem content with the shitty box sets that are already out.

And anyone who would call you an elitist for wanting to watch the show in its original language is probably an insecure elitist themselves.

I guess so. But it was just a simple expectation now that the whole Sub vs. Dub debates that used to rack the Anime Fandom was solved by the dual audio track solution in DVD's, and since PKMN is one of the remaining Popular Anime officially still Dub-only (Heck even CCS was subbed) meh...To be frank I just want to watch the Japanese themes when I watch an Ep. Seriously, bland openings recently has not been good to my ears.

Ohwell you were right I guess in the 1st Season Opening Comaprison, it was just a preference when they did the whole new opening themes. :-(

The time, money, and manpower necessary to release a subtitled version of the show wouldn't pay off for TPCI since most people seem content with the shitty box sets that are already out.

And yet you still can't get an entire season of the dub in a single box in the US. (he says as he stares at his pretty line-up of region 4 season 1-4 boxes)

They still include french audio in many DVDs, but that is because they need it for Canada. On the other hand, how many Japanese speakers are here in NA? Not enough.

It all goes back to necessity, if Japanese was the official language of Mexico the story would have been different. So its all a matter of preference. But I hate it when they change the script or dialogue too much to mean the opposite thing instead, that makes subtitles essential to verify things.

Different kanji. If it was written out in kanji and not hiragana, the ryuu in ryuuseigun would be the kanji that means flowing or shooting (as in "shooting star"). The ryuu kanji used for dragon simply means "dragon."

kanji should be irrelevant in a game series that uses nothing but kana. Besides, it's not as if puns revolving around kanji and pronunciations of such haven't been done before (which is especially easy to pull off when furigana's involved), and since the attack's name was a fan-made one that won a contest in CoroCoro, this seems all the more likely to be the case with "Ryuuseigun". The Japanese Pokemon Wiki seems to agree that the potential kanji for the attack would be 竜星群 (dragon, star, cluster) rather than 流星群 (flowing, star, cluster; usually the correct spelling). You could argue that Wikis could be edited by anyone, but consider such an edit was likely made from the viewpoint of a Japanese fan.

With all that said, I see "Ryuuseigun" as a pun, and I always figured Nintendo of America's name for it was a pretty decent English equivalent in spite of the pun. "Draco Meteor" refers to the dragonic element of the attack, but it also could be referring to the Draco constellation, thus a celestial object that relates to dragons. Thus, it works out in a very similar manner to the original attack name (even if it is a bit more blatant than a pun on kanji pronunciations). You gotta admit, it turned out a LOT better than "Noroi" (or Curse) did.

indeed. Consumers over here are apparently buying enough to actually warrant Viz to keep putting out those shitty Pokemon Elements releases.

I guess so. But it was just a simple expectation now that the whole Sub vs. Dub debates that used to rack the Anime Fandom was solved by the dual audio track solution in DVD's, and since PKMN is one of the remaining Popular Anime officially still Dub-only (Heck even CCS was subbed) meh...To be frank I just want to watch the Japanese themes when I watch an Ep. Seriously, bland openings recently has not been good to my ears.

sub vs. dub debates before the advent of DVDs? Shit, how long have you been in anime fandom? Anyway, there's still a lot of anime nowadays get dub-only releases. They're mostly a bunch of kids' shows broadcast on TV that were edited to the point where running the original language track just wouldn't work (plus, the DVD publishers are apparently too lazy to deal with changing the TV version's opening/ending), not that they're expecting the target audience to give a damn about the original version in the first place. This has pretty much ALWAYS been the case ever since anime started being put on DVD, really. That situation with Cardcaptor Sakura (which was almost a decade ago, by the way) was due to fan outrage at Nelvana's shoddy dub, and even then, the DVDs that resulted were sub-only because of the aforementioned fact that the discs just wouldn't work that well with the heavily edited English dub. This is also why the edited dub of Dragon Ball Z remained on VHS while the uncut dubs were ported to DVD with the original added.

Though, as Dogasu keeps pointing out on his site, Pokemon has been mostly unedited ever since PUSA took over, but I guess there are still complications that warrant not putting out hybrid DVDs. Aside from general lack of interest, there could also be the fact that the show's been running for so long without one as it is (and if this franchise could survive through Jouto, I don't think a lack of Japanese episode availability will kill their DVD sales now). Oddly enough, didn't Pokemon Channel include the Japanese versions of those Pichu shorts? You'd almost think that Nintendo of America is completely in favor of bilingual releases, but sadly, such hasn't been the case when English production of the anime shifted to the core company itself (I guess Nintendo being the only major game company to still reject region-free gaming shoots down any notion that they'd allow cross-cultural experiences anyway).

sub vs. dub debates before the advent of DVDs? Shit, how long have you been in anime fandom? Anyway, there's still a lot of anime nowadays get dub-only releases. They're mostly a bunch of kids' shows broadcast on TV that were edited to the point where running the original language track just wouldn't work (plus, the DVD publishers are apparently too lazy to deal with changing the TV version's opening/ending), not that they're expecting the target audience to give a damn about the original version in the first place. This has pretty much ALWAYS been the case ever since anime started being put on DVD, really. That situation with Cardcaptor Sakura (which was almost a decade ago, by the way) was due to fan outrage at Nelvana's shoddy dub, and even then, the DVDs that resulted were sub-only because of the aforementioned fact that the discs just wouldn't work that well with the heavily edited English dub. This is also why the edited dub of Dragon Ball Z remained on VHS while the uncut dubs were ported to DVD with the original added.

Though, as Dogasu keeps pointing out on his site, Pokemon has been mostly unedited ever since PUSA took over, but I guess there are still complications that warrant not putting out hybrid DVDs. Aside from general lack of interest, there could also be the fact that the show's been running for so long without one as it is (and if this franchise could survive through Jouto, I don't think a lack of Japanese episode availability will kill their DVD sales now). Oddly enough, didn't Pokemon Channel include the Japanese versions of those Pichu shorts? You'd almost think that Nintendo of America is completely in favor of bilingual releases, but sadly, such hasn't been the case when English production of the anime shifted to the core company itself (I guess Nintendo being the only major game company to still reject region-free gaming shoots down any notion that they'd allow cross-cultural experiences anyway).

Relatively Recent to the Internet Fandom, 2006 I believe. :/ But I've been an anime fan since I was 4 or so. But from what I can read yeah. :p

And yes, I do know the story behind the Nelvana dub and DBZ releases, so there's no need to ram it. XD

Anyways I understand your POV, but I kinda find it still weird that a popular anime is still Dub only in the US. And as you said the recent releases by PUSA has not deviated much to the originals, so why continue this?

But meh, fandom apathy. :/

Mainly because we grown-up Internet nerds are the only people who care about getting the Japanese version on DVD in America, and there aren't enough of us for PUSA to justify doing that.

Unfortunately, not even among us Internet Pokemon fans are there enough people to care about this. (Although that's at least partially because a decent amount of them don't see it happening anyway, and they probably watch the Japanese version through alternate methods and are satisfied in that way.)

Many people care more about seeing the dub as soon as possible than seeing the original. And that's their right, of course, but meh...

Which is too bad for people like me. I'd settle for them having Jpn subs, keeping the banned episodes banned, and using names like "Ash" and "Brock" instead of "Satoshi" and "Takeshi."

MisterUrban said:
They still include french audio in many DVDs, but that is because they need it for Canada. On the other hand, how many Japanese speakers are here in NA? Not enough.

That's what the Japanese subtitles would be for, though, if there were any. I doubt many people in English speaking countries know a lot of Japanese, or even only Japanese.

Yamato-san said:
indeed. Consumers over here are apparently buying enough to actually warrant Viz to keep putting out those shitty Pokemon Elements releases.

And D&P movie DVDs that have no special features other than maybe a Spanish track (?)...

Ironically, the Arceus movie hasn't come to DVD in the US, and we have no word on the 12th season DVD sets. (The Unless the 12th season has the original version only, or at least SOME type of behind-the-scenes things- which I don't expect at all- I wasn't planning on getting the 12th season on DVD. I'm not in any hurry to get the Arceus movie either. But still...)

Yamato-san said:
With all that said, I see "Ryuuseigun" as a pun, and I always figured Nintendo of America's name for it was a pretty decent English equivalent in spite of the pun. "Draco Meteor" refers to the dragonic element of the attack, but it also could be referring to the Draco constellation, thus a celestial object that relates to dragons. Thus, it works out in a very similar manner to the original attack name (even if it is a bit more blatant than a pun on kanji pronunciations). You gotta admit, it turned out a LOT better than "Noroi" (or Curse) did.

I can certainly see that as a valid point-of-view. But to me, ryuuseigun is just an attack that was given a real-world name. Kind of like kamitsuku ("Bite") or mizu deppou ("Water Gun"). It's a real word that one can find in a dictionary, while "Draco Meteor" is not.

(I guess Nintendo being the only major game company to still reject region-free gaming shoots down any notion that they'd allow cross-cultural experiences anyway).

Well, I wouldn't say that. The Mario games, for example, have the same voice actors on both sides of the ocean. Several Japanese-only games have been making their way to the Wii Virtual Console (i.e. Sin and Punishment), and the company has really made no effort to hide the fact that the games they release in the US originated from Japan.

I really don't think the lack of a bilingual release has anything to do with NoA and everything to do with 4Kids, who doesn't give the Japanese version of their shows to DVD publishers, and TPCI, who probably figure that if they've

We also can't forget that Pocket Monsters is a huge series. That's probably another big reason right there.

V Faction said:
Let me rephrase that single sentence for you then: There is nothing to be worried over or to get upset about.

I'm neither worried nor upset. Just annoyed.

Some people don't care about the characters saying things that are really out-of-character, while others do. If you don't, fine. That doesn't mean that those of us who do should stop voicing our concerns over a product that we know can do better.

The biggest concern I have isn't about the english Pokemon DVD's not having Japanese version on it but more that I can't even import from Japan the whole series on DVD. In my opinion they aren't that much better when it comes to episodes and DVD release.

Maybe better when it comes to movies but definately not series. Unless someone can direct me to a boxset in japan that has a decent amount of episodes on it.

I know ages ago I imported a boxset and got a grand total of 6 Japanese episodes and special features.

Meanwhile in Australia you can buy boxsets of 52 episodes that are dub only when it comes to season 1 to 4. Then about over 20 episodes in 2 sets for season 10 and another 2 sets for season 11 (almost copying America here but still more than 6 episodesin an entire boxset).

That annoys me far more because you'd think the country of origin would be releasing the stuff far better.

To be quite honest I bought the japanese set to see what it was like plus I wanted legit Japanese DVD's. While audio and video quality aswell as extras was top notch the content episode wise was not impressive after being spoilt with 52 episode dub boxsets in Australia.=/

We may not get japanese version but at least we're getting full seasons.

It's better than getting nothing.

I don't understand why the elements sets are selling. Magna Pacific decided that the DVD's with the select episode names after Pokemon would be great to classify so we'll be seeing those stupid sets aswell as it seems. So it won't be just America anymore.>_>

Don't get me wrong I would love to get Japanese version full seasons on the dub DVD's.

Last edited:
and TPCI, who probably figure that if they've

...If they've...?

Some people don't care about the characters saying things that are really out-of-character, while others do.

While others care deeply no matter what language it happens in. OOC isn't limited to dubs. Internal consistancy is a big problem in this series.

Anyway, any reason why so many of the manga covers on your site are bw?

Back
Top Bottom