• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Some people don't care about the characters saying things that are really out-of-character, while others do. If you don't, fine. That doesn't mean that those of us who do should stop voicing our concerns over a product that we know can do better.
Meatballs and Donuts.

I think the bar has been significantly raised.

Iron Masked Marauder said:
While others care deeply no matter what language it happens in. OOC isn't limited to dubs. Internal consistancy is a big problem in this series.
Inconsistency is in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

But speaking of being consistant, that upcoming Pokeathlon is going to be a fun one.

The Power of Pika said:
The biggest concern I have isn't about the english Pokemon DVD's not having Japanese version on it but more that I can't even import from Japan the whole series on DVD. In my opinion they aren't that much better when it comes to episodes and DVD release.

Oh, I completely agree. The only reason I even bother with the edited, dub-only DVDs is because I want to legally own decent quality versions of the episodes so I can take screencaps from them. And while I do complain about the shitty video quality of the Kanto and Orange Island sets, I do realize that they're better than nothing.

Iron Masked Marauder said:
...If they've...?

Sorry.

I meant to say: I really don't think the lack of a bilingual release has anything to do with NoA and everything to do with 4Kids, who doesn't give the Japanese version of their shows to DVD publishers, and TPCI, who probably figure that if they've been releasing dub-only DVDs for so long that releasing bilingual DVDs now would be pointless.

OOC isn't limited to dubs.

I never once implied that. Please don't put words in my mouth.

Anyway, any reason why so many of the manga covers on your site are bw?

Someone else who didn't read those paragraphs at the top of the page! :p

Manga Guide said:
Below, you'll find links to pages devoted to each series. By clicking on either the cover image or the title, you'll be taken to pages that detail the storyline of the series, provide information about the author, show information about any North American English language release, and more! The covers below that are in black and white don't have pages up yet, but it's only a matter of time before I get those pages up as well.

Iron Mask Marauder said:
I never said you implied that nor attempted to put words in your mouth. It was a general statement considering the tone.

Well, you might not want to put your "general statements" directly under quoted text next time. It makes it look like what you're saying is directed to the person making the quote.

Additionally, not all the color ones HAVE pages.

They most certainly do.

Netto Azure said:
Why was the summaries for Pokemon Special taken out?

I never had summaries for Special.

Good luck on your Electric Soldier Porygon essay. :ksmile:

If anyone could find the dub version of that I would gladly read through a Dogasu comparison of it. And yes, there was a dub version, it just never aired. Maddie Blaustein said the decreased the frame rate and everything.

Netto Azure said:
Or at least an introduction. I remember you mentioning on the Site that it was your 2nd Favorite PKMN manga next to the Dengeki Pikachu ones.

I don't remember ever having that, or ever saying that. But if I ever did, it would have been taken down years ago.

cohenmarioman said:
And yes, there was a dub version, it just never aired. Maddie Blaustein said the decreased the frame rate and everything.

I actually have my doubts about its existence, something I'll explore more in the actual essay.

I don't remember ever having that, or ever saying that. But if I ever did, it would have been taken down years ago.

Probably yeah. Still I noticed this:

http://web.archive.org/web/20071013...su.bulbagarden.net/manga/pokemon_special.html

Published in 1997, Pokemon Special follows the game closer than the anime (but not as close as the manga Pokemon Zensho). The manga follows the adventures of Red and his rival Green ("Blue" in the American version) and later Blue ("Green" in the American version) and Yellow. Red battles all the gym leaders like in the game and anime, but his first pokemon's a Nyorozo. There are a total of thirteen tankobon (graphic novels) in Japan. I personally like this rendition of the manga the second-best, second only to Ono Toshihiro's version. The plot's interesting in that almost all of the gym leaders are corrupt and associated in some way with the Rocket-Dan, and the storyline dealing with Myuu/Myuutsu is really interesting as well.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Pokemon Special was translated into English by Viz. Viz only published the first seven graphic novels, ending at the Yellow Saga. In Japan, however, the series is still going strong with Volume 21 due out soon. At this time, it's unlikely that Viz will translate and publish the rest of the series. However, you can purchase the graphic novels that they did translate on the official Viz website.
[/SIZE]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]In 2006, Viz released two "best of" volumes. You can find a listing of what chapters are in what volume here.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/FONT]

It's entirely possible that she was misremembering things, though.

Japan went out of their way to erase all traces that the episode ever existed, yet we're to believe that they sent a tape over to 4Kids for them to dub? It doesn't add up.

Japan went out of their way to erase all traces that the episode ever existed, yet we're to believe that they sent a tape over to 4Kids for them to dub? It doesn't add up.

Usually the Japanese companies send the anime before they even air in Japan to be dubbed. 4kids probably was the first 52 episodes in a bunch, including ESP. Then when it aired in Japan, they decided to fix that one scene (as Blaustein mentioned), but the American public soon found out and if they aired it they would of got in a ton of trouble.

According to the commentary on the Pokemon 4Ever DVD, 4Kids didn't even get the show to start dubbing until April 1998. The Porygon incident happened in December 1997.

According to the commentary on the Pokemon 4Ever DVD, 4Kids didn't even get the show to start dubbing until April 1998. The Porygon incident happened in December 1997.

Oh, I guess 4kids got Yugioh differently then. They got the first 52 episodes of 5Ds way before even episode 35 aired in Japan.

Oh, I guess 4kids got Yugioh differently then. They got the first 52 episodes of 5Ds way before even episode 35 aired in Japan.

Well that's the current process to help stop piracy. Until a few years ago the American companies were getting episodes at a much slower rate.

Well that's the current process to help stop piracy. Until a few years ago the American companies were getting episodes at a much slower rate.

Wait, how does that stop piracy? By encouraging people to watch the dub? That does not work when a company is 40 or more episodes behind.

Wow, just browsing through the site I had completely forgotten you skipped over DP: Battle Dimension entirely except the Croagunk ep because of the character design change for the filler kid.

I know its old news now and you'd rather do current Sinnoh League victor comparisons and classic Kanto, but do you ever plan/know when you'll get around to doing mid-DP?

cohenmarioman said:

Well, you have to remember that we're talking about 1998 here. Things were a little bit slower twelve years ago.

Wait, how does that stop piracy? By encouraging people to watch the dub?

By encouraging people to watch the show legally. The larger the gap is between the Japanese airing and the American airing, the more likely people are just going to say "screw it" and just bootleg the show. By shortening the gap, companies are able to give the audience a reason to tune into their product.

If the Pokémon dub was only just now getting to, say, the Wallace Cup, I doubt there would be as many people watching it.

Gliscor'd said:
I know its old news now and you'd rather do current Sinnoh League victor comparisons and classic Kanto, but do you ever plan/know when you'll get around to doing mid-DP?

I'm tentatively planning to start doing those after I finish the comparison for the last episode of Season One.

Back
Top Bottom