• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Adamant said:
Ah yeah, thanks for the tip that Pokepale's dex had indepth name pun explanations, btw.

Oh, no problem. I'm just glad there was a list out there for me to link to in the first place.

Ketsu said:
Hey Dogasu, all of the links to the movie comparisons seem to be broken.

That's odd...they seem to be working for me. Could you point out which page isn't working for you? I checked out this one and had no issues.

Hey Dogasu,thanks for doing the translations for the first openings and ending themes of best wishes.Keep up the good work.

The ones on the pages for the movie guides and on the first Legend of Thunder comparison. You must've changed the url on them, because the ones there have different urls then the ones on the page you linked me to.

Dogasu, could you do something about your guestbook? It's not working anymore.

Reading your new comparisons, I agree that this Grand Festival should have been at least 5 episodes, if only so Dawn Vs. Jessie could have gotten a full episode.

I also agree that having Dawn get into the finals but skipping all her battles was ridiculous. It didn't feel to me as if she won a lot to get there, they skipped her second and third match completely, and her only wins are Ursula and Jessie? Two people we watched Dawn beat before? The impact of Dawn making it to the finals was lost.

Overall while the GF was decent, this is really not what I imagined would be, "The Grand Finale" for Contests in the series. Its almost as if the writers just stopped caring towards the end, especially since Kenny was treated like crap throughout the whole arc and Nando disappeared for 150 episodes.

Hey Dogasu, great comparisons as usual!

However, as a nit-picky copy editor and English major, as awkward as Ursula's sentence is in DP 175, she's technically right. Because "I" follows a linking verb, "is," it's a subject compliment, and thus subjective. Nobody talks like that, yeah, but saying "me" would be wrong.

...Unless you were implying that she was trying to teach Dawn about proper pronoun-antecedent agreement.

Sorry if I seem really harsh; I really do appreciate everything you do!

Hey, Dogasu, I was just wondering when (or if) you are going to do episode comparisons for some of the older episodes (The Orange Islands, some of the DP episodes, some of the Johto episodes) that don't seem to have comparisons yet. Also, are you going to do a Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon special/episode comparison?

Did the forget about "Pine" and "Dick" in that article?

I don't even get why they bothered to censor such an obscure bad word (Pine when used like this) I've never hear someone use it that way until I found out I couldn't name something pine in B&W :/

Ketsu said:
The ones on the pages for the movie guides and on the first Legend of Thunder comparison. You must've changed the url on them, because the ones there have different urls then the ones on the page you linked me to.

The links should be fixed now. Hopefully, they'll all work for you.

PowerfulStarmie said:
Dogasu, could you do something about your guestbook? It's not working anymore.

It actually hasn't worked for years :p I want to get around to removing the link altogether (really, who still has Guestbooks in 2010?), but the problem is that I'd have to go into each html file, one by one, and delete the link manually. So that link's not going to go anywhere until I overhaul the site's layout again, whenever that is.

VibuzeSG said:
Hey Dogasu, great comparisons as usual!

However, as a nit-picky copy editor and English major, as awkward as Ursula's sentence is in DP 175, she's technically right. Because "I" follows a linking verb, "is," it's a subject compliment, and thus subjective. Nobody talks like that, yeah, but saying "me" would be wrong.

After looking into it further, I see that you're correct. Still, like you said, nobody talks like that, and the sentence does sound awkward even if it is grammatically correct. Meh.

Eeveelution 2.0 said:
Hey, Dogasu, I was just wondering when (or if) you are going to do episode comparisons for some of the older episodes (The Orange Islands, some of the DP episodes, some of the Johto episodes) that don't seem to have comparisons yet. Also, are you going to do a Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon special/episode comparison?

I guess you haven't been noticing how I'm doing comparisons for Kanto? I'm doing the older comparisons in order, but since they take so much longer to do than the newer ones, I'm not able to churn them out as quickly. I'll get to the comparisons you want eventually.

MasterTrainer said:
Who knew "Bur(r)akku" was an insult?

Kotaku posted a great follow-up article addressing that very subject.

http://kotaku.com/5667422/in-pokemon-buraku-is-not-black

Eitarou said:
of course Tamatama wouldn't be censored..it's the name of a Pokemon

Speaking of Tamatama...I just watched "March of the Exeggutor Squad" the other day for the site :D

or is it depending on how you write the words?

If you look at the list, the author notes that words in all caps were written out in English letters while the ones that weren't were written out in hiragana / katakana.

Iron Masked Marauder said:
I find it odd that "negro" is on the list considering how many languages it just means "black" as in the color and has nothing to do with race.

Well, the list seems to be focused on Japanese and English words. And in English, "negro" is most certainly seen as being a derogatory term. I doubt they want people running around and using that word as a nickname for Jynx, for example.

I'm sure there are words in English that would actually be considered profane in other languages. Hell, we even see that happen with American English and UK English; "fanny" doesn't mean the same in the UK as it does in the UK. Same with "root" in Australia.

Hehe that list of words that weren't censored make me laugh

of course Tamatama wouldn't be censored..it's the name of a Pokemon

Wow, that reminds me...I need to get back to watching Keroro Gunsou. xP

And wow, people will still do this in the English version, will people try and actually record what words are censored or not? xD

Once again, the site proves how important it really is. This post ought to be put up on some special page for easy reference on the site.
Otherwise this ultra-rare info will be lost in the old updates forever.

Just a question; did the screenwriters affect the storylines of these episodes more or the directors?

Dogasu's Backpack said:
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this ends up getting skipped and an English version never surfaces, but I'd love to be proven wrong someday.[/SIZE][/FONT]
It's hidden away where almost no-one will find it - but it's definitely been dubbed.

http://www.pokemon.com/us/tv-episodes/watch/

Other than it being edited into one 9-minute video, it looks to be dubbed well. Music appears to be intact, there's even an original Eyecatch in there with the English Logo tacked on. (of course, the dialouge could be way off and I'd have no idea)

Still, watching it makes me feel confident that in the unlikely event of a nother set of side stories, TPCi will do a much better job than 4Kids did with Chronicles.

Too bad it doesn't seem to work for me... Firefox/Chrome/IE, no matter what and how i use, all i see is a black box where the video is supposed to be.

I think you need to have the last version of Adobe Flash Player 10.

Back
Top Bottom