• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Then maybe you don't have the Delve Player (at least that's what appears in the properties of the video).

If that doesn't work, I don't know.

From the new comparison:

Ash: "That's a real cute outfit, Misty."

Satoshi simply states that it's an interesting costume (omoshiroi kakkou da nai). No flirting for Satoshi here!

I admit, I lol'd. Why did 4kids always add these shipping moments into the show?

Most of the things people think about Misty on the show is because of 4kids tampering.

Huh? I always recall him saying it in a sarcastic tone, so it struck me more as teasing if anything. Been way too long since I've watched some of these...

Also;
so those of you who like seeing close-ups of underage asses and a guy throwing a glass bottle at a man's head are in luck.
I laughed out loud.

Last edited:
Huh? I always recall him saying it in a sarcastic tone, so it struck me more as teasing if anything.

Its the same deal. Its more of 4kids adding suggestive moments between Ash/Misty that was not in the original. Even playful dialogue which can be interpreted as flirting.

This is why you have a bunch of people on forums thinking things about the show that were never intended.

4kids really did brainwash people about Misty. Sometimes I understand now why some fans think what they do...they only grew up with the dub.

It's a pokemon who looks like a group of six eggs but is actually seeds; surely there's something there that could make for a great story, right? What happens if one of the seeds gets separated, for example? Is that even possible?

Isn't that the plot (such as it was) of the first movie short? They lost a seed and replaced it with Togepi so Togepi had to stay with the other seeds?

That's a pretty neat tidbit about the origin of Gechis' name. It certainly explains the dramatic drums out of nowhere that make up his battle music. Now let's see if any of that meaning gets kept in the English version!

Also...
So, it looks like his name comes from German music scales. So...G'cis? But, pronounced like geh-cheess? OK!
That really is how you'd pronounce "G cis" in german, although Dogasu seems slightly "...well okay then?" about it.

I was gonna say this before but...

After arriving at Lily of the Valley Island,

Dawn: "Wow, Piplup, what a crowd!"
Piplup: "Piplup!"
Brock: "Yeah! And they're not just Trainers here, either. There are also media reporters, and Pokémon fans here from all over the world!"

Takeshi tells us that there are trainers there from many different regions. Brock, on the other hand, tells us that trainers from all over the world have come there. I feel like all the regions in the pokemon world that we know about so far make up one nation (we don't say International Pokemon Zukan, after all), so saying that trainers are coming from all over the world instead of from all over the nation is a difference worth pointing out.

Except that, according to the dialogue you just quoted, they're not. The FANS are coming from all over the world. He didn't say anything about the trainers.

Thanks for the summary, nice manga, too bad it's a one shot. I kinda wished that you would've posted the image of his Daikenki, since the chances of one appearing in Kiwamero are slim, and Bel just got her Oshawott in Pokespe, I kind of wanted to see how a Daikenki would look in a manga.

I also love that the narrator of this show still uses the anachronistic phrase "stay tuned." Nothing says "hip" and "modern" like telling them not to fiddle with the rabbit ears sitting on the top of their TVs!

After 12 years (minus that gap in Hoenn) of Rodger Parsons reminding us to stay tuned , I don't think I could have my dub narration any other way.

Sounds like they stole some sounds effects from Button 299. Are the sound effects dub only or are those the same from the original?

Is that still out of the realm of VA discussion?

After 12 years (minus that gap in Hoenn) of Rodger Parsons reminding us to stay tuned , I don't think I could have my dub narration any other way.

For me, I honestly didn't know that was an antenna reference...

I just figured it was just, "Keep watching!"

Grave-E said:
I always recall him saying it in a sarcastic tone, so it struck me more as teasing if anything. Been way too long since I've watched some of these...

He doesn't really have any sort of tone when he says it. Just, "That's a real cute outfit, Misty."

Commander Mitsumi said:
Except that, according to the dialogue you just quoted, they're not. The FANS are coming from all over the world. He didn't say anything about the trainers.

It's incredibly clear that Brock is lumping in Trainers with the media fans and Pokemon fans.

cohen said:
Are the sound effects dub only or are those the same from the original?

Yes. The only time I can think of a sound effect being altered in the dub is in "A Poached Ego!," where the sound effect of the hunter cocking his gun was removed from the dub.

And recycling sound effects is nothing new. Every show, ever, does it.

Rex Kamex said:
For me, I honestly didn't know that was an antenna reference...

I just figured it was just, "Keep watching!"

Well, it's both. By keeping your TV "tuned" to the station, you "keep watching."

It just strikes me as funny, that's all. Here we have a TV show, made in HD, telling us to "stay tuned." It'd be like if the show told us not to "touch that dial" when TVs haven't had dials on them for a few decades.

And while they don't actually say this, I'm thinking that the little bit of animation we see where red electricity crackles from Goukazaru's body as the sound of a pokemon being recalled into its Monster Ball can be heard is that forgetting process wrapping up.

No, no... that's the recoil damage from Flare Blitz, similar to the blue electricity that occasionally radiates from Staraptor when it uses Brave Bird, and yellow from Pikachu using Volt Tackle.

I wonder if we're ever going to hear the word "Eeveelution" at some point in the future.

While I don't think it's been used on the show, Magical Pokemon Journey hinted at it, naming a chapter Eevee-Lu-tion (see, the main Eevee had a crush on another Eevee whose name was Lu...yes it's a rock-stupid pun!). And then Pokemon Ranger said it outright in the second game when Murph asks you for all the eeveelutions in his special mission.

and get this: the signs at GameStop promoting the legendary beast trio (which I'm guessing had at least some involvement from The Pokemon Company when they were designed) are actually using the term "shiny".

BTW Dogasu, I know it's kinda late, but I fucking loved the thoughts you wrote up for the Tamatama episode, if only because what you said about Magi was exactly how I thought of him since I first saw this episode: they try to play him up to be as sympathetic as any other COTD, but in reality, he proves to be a power-hungry asshole who's entirely at fault for the crisis in the latter half of the episode.... but it doesn't matter just so long as they show that he still wuvs his Nassy at the end, right? Yeah, I really hate this show's faulty logic (especially during Kanto). On another note, it kinda bugged me that, even if under hypnosis, Satoshi technically caught all those Nassy, yet they're not his Pokemon. Maybe it's because he was using Magi's Monster Balls, though it brings up another point: why the hell couldn't that manipulative bastard just return all (or at least some) of them when they started to rampage?

Its the same deal. Its more of 4kids adding suggestive moments between Ash/Misty that was not in the original. Even playful dialogue which can be interpreted as flirting.

This is why you have a bunch of people on forums thinking things about the show that were never intended.

4kids really did brainwash people about Misty. Sometimes I understand now why some fans think what they do...they only grew up with the dub.

yeah, and it doesn't help that a majority of this fandom is.... well, not what I'd prefer to call "bright", with the shippers easily being the worst offenders. They'll jump on fucking anything and think of it as absolute, undeniable evidence of their pairings.

This morning I woke up to find that I'd got an e-mail from Dogasu telling me I'd won the Boss Fantasy contest he put up before Christmas.

The contest was to write a boss fantasy for any of the Isshu Pokemon. The prize... the chance to choose any three past episodes that Dogasu hasn't done comparisons for yet to get a write-up.

This was definitely a nice surprise, since I don't normally win things like this.

Back
Top Bottom