• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

From your Arceus movie comparison:

Cut--3 seconds
When Takeshi starts flirting with Sheena, he takes Sheena's hand and talks about wanting to go out on a date with her before putting it down and accidentally picking up Gureggru's hand instead. Then, the pokemon pulls his ear performs Poison Jab and drags him away.

For whatever reason, the dub cuts out the shot of Takeshi holding Sheena's hand and only leaves in the shot of him with Gureggru's hand.

Um... I have (Well, now it's had... I only have the second half now) a tape recording from a TV airing on CN, and that scene is there.... Both Croagunk's hand and Sheena's hand. I actually posted this earlier in this thread, but I don't think you noticed.

But, like I said earlier, I have no proof now... >_> So... yeah.

I was bored the other day, so I watched Fear Factor Phony!, and then I watched the preview for the dub of Black and White (the one with the starters). I noticed that Ash... actually sounds like a ten year old now! In Fear Factor Phony!, his voice is so scratchy, but in the Black and White preview, he sounded like he was comparable to Veriona Taylor's voice for Ash.

I think when Black and White gets dubbed, you should mention how Maddie Blustien finally got the hang of voicing Ash now after all of these years when you do the comparison. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :)

I think when Black and White gets dubbed, you should mention how Maddie Blustien finally got the hang of voicing Ash now after all of these years when you do the comparison. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :)

Maddie Blustien voiced Meowth back in the 4Kids days and died in 2008. You're thinking of Sarah Natochenny who took over when TPCI started dubbing.

I like this site the comparisons are interesting and the manga got me into some new ones waiting for new comparisons is like waiting for a new episode each week Dogasu, he runs a awesome site.

I thought Pochama/Piplup was a confirmed male but he's being called a "it".

Last edited:
Maddie Blustien voiced Meowth back in the 4Kids days and died in 2008. You're thinking of Sarah Natochenny who took over when TPCI started dubbing.

Oh yeah, I meant to say Sarah instead of Maddie. Sorry about that. lol

But yeah, if you compare Ash's voice from the Battle Frontier to now, you can notice Sarah definitely improved. Ash doesn't sound raspy anymore! :)

I really liked the comparison of 'Memories Are Made of Bliss'... but my favourite sentence has to be this, regarding Team Rocket and their major character shift:

The trio's dead to me now, and for all intents and purposes, this episode is their farewell.

So, in the next episode, we can look forward to a brand new pair of villains. They look and sound the same, and even have a talking Meowth as a pet.

But yeah, a brand new attitude.

Dogasu why are you saying the last line bugged you? Saying, "pokemon master, Ash" and, "Pokemon doctor Brock," was obviously the characters telling each other what they expected them to become. It wasn't, "what they already are." It was Ash and Brock noting their dreams and what they expected of each other in the future. I thought it was fantastic.

I also don't understand why you thought the Cynthia/Flint battle was pointless. Aside from the excellent animation and just being fun to watch, it re-sparked Ash to realize what he's doing has a goal, and reminded us of the Champion league that we will hopefully see him enter in BW. Its called continuity, and gave us an indication Ash has more to do after he wins a league, and he may enter a Champion league later on.

Assuming they goofi-fy the BW Rockets in the dub, I'll be very sad if you start favoring them over the Japanese Rockets. It was nice having you on our dub Rocket haters' side.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Japanese version has never referred to J as simply "Hunter J." As far as I can recall, it's always been either "Pokemon Hunter J" or just "J."

The episode 45 title calls her Hunter J, at least. Don't remember if any actual dialogue does, but it's something.

God, this is the sort of thing that fans will be waving around for years, isn't it? "You guys! All Ash has to do to be a Pokémon Master is win the Champion League. He said so himself!!" And for years and years, those of us who know better will have to be doing damage control for this shit. Ugh.

The fact that a bunch of people were somehow told that the original line said "First I'll become Pokemon Master, then I'll enter the Champion League and become Champion Master" isn't exactly helping matters, either.

Assuming they goofi-fy the BW Rockets in the dub, I'll be very sad if you start favoring them over the Japanese Rockets. It was nice having you on our dub Rocket haters' side.

I'm pretty certain TPCi aren't going to water down the threat of Team Rocket in the dub. While I appreciate that their dialogue was all but rewritten when they were comic relief, that was back when they actually had funny mannerisms and boss fantasies. Now, they're super serious and act totally professional. There's not one bit of physical comedy about them now.

In fact, I think the only thing that the new Team Rocket has done that was a little humourous was when Meowth dressed up as Umbreon in the Battle Club episode but even then he acted totally serious.

Forgive me for asking, but how does the japanese version define a pokemon master? The dub makes it pretty blatant Ash thinks becoming Champion makes him a master (and realistically, I wouldn't argue that). But if that's not so, then how does Japan define it?

Forgive me for asking, but how does the japanese version define a pokemon master? The dub makes it pretty blatant Ash thinks becoming Champion makes him a master (and realistically, I wouldn't argue that). But if that's not so, then how does Japan define it?

It's defined in episode 1 as 最高のポケモントレーナー - "The greatest Pokémon trainer".
The dub mistranslated it somewhat, the original lines introducing the series goal were, roughly translated "I declare to all the Pokémon in the entire world: The greatest Pokemon trainer... no, the "Pokemon Master" - that's going to be me!"

Nothing more to it, really. "Pokemon Master" means "the best trainer in the world".

Last edited:
The second is Sora no Hanataba (氷空の花束), or "The Sky Bouquet." It's the piece that plays at the very end of Giratina and the Bouquet, Shami and is Track 22 on its official soundtrack. In this episode, the piece starts playing almost immediately after the end of the battle between Ohba and Shirona and continues until the end credits. I'm not surprised TPCI removed this - they took out the instrumental version of Chiisaki Mono during the last episode of Advanced Generation, after all - but it's still incredibly disappointing. The music absolutely makes that scene, and the whole episode loses a lot of its impact because of its absence.

Oddly enough, I kinda feel the opposite... I mean, I love that piece of music, and I do wish that the dub kept it, but... Okay, I have no idea what I'm trying to say. XD It was fitting, but at the same time, a little unfitting? (I think I would have prefered the last track from the Arceus soundtrack more?) I dunno.

I think that I'm more glad that the dub kept the piece with Ash and Brock.

Dogasu why are you saying the last line bugged you? Saying, "pokemon master, Ash" and, "Pokemon doctor Brock," was obviously the characters telling each other what they expected them to become. It wasn't, "what they already are." It was Ash and Brock noting their dreams and what they expected of each other in the future. I thought it was fantastic.

I agree.

Last edited:
Not to disregard the progress you've already made about the Black and White English names, but Pokemon.com officially revealed some other names as well.

The dubbed version has always changed their definition of Pokémon Master. Don't forget that in the early years, according to the dub the way to become a Pokémon Master was to capture every single Pokémon in the world... but that was mostly so the franchise could force Gotta Catch 'em All down people's throats to sell toys.

Not true. If you know a Pokemon's gender you should say he or she, not it.

That's your opinion, not a fact...
In the games, all Pokémon are always referred to as "it" even when their gender is known... in the anime, all Pokémon are always referred to as "it" (and the possible rare cases that he/she were used, it's obviously a mistake) even if their gender is known
Official site and other official sources also clearly said this is the "rule" in mailbag and stuff like that
That's not argueable... the officially correct way to refer to Pokémon is "it" - even if their gender is known

in the anime, all Pokémon are always referred to as "it" (and the possible rare cases that he/she were used, it's obviously a mistake) even if their gender is known

What? Eteboth was called a girl multiple times, Potchama was called a boy, and genders have come up whenever attract has been used.

I don't see how it's a mistake. There's nothing wrong with using he or she.

Oddly enough, I kinda feel the opposite... I mean, I love that piece of music, and I do wish that the dub kept it, but... Okay, I have no idea what I'm trying to say. XD It was fitting, but at the same time, a little unfitting? (I think I would have prefered the last track from the Arceus soundtrack more?) I dunno.

I agree with Dogasu on this. I too love that piece of music and I think it was quite fitting. When Brock says that he wants to say something, the music builds up to it and I think it is really nice.

I definetly would have preferred if the dub kept this piece then the instrumental for Lalala In Your Heart when Piplup hugs Dawn. I'm not too sure why so many people wanted it kept over some other pieces, given that the song has no significance in the dub what so ever. Ideally they should have used the dub opening of the Darkrai theme during the Cynthia/Flint fight as Dogasu suggested and an instrumental version of the music that plays during the credits (which just happens to be the opening) for the hugging scene.

If they have to change the music, they should be consistent.

Edit: The Miltank in GS and HGSS that you feed berries to is referred to as a female in the English versions of the games. I don't know if it was for the original Japanese script.

Back
Top Bottom