• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Hm, you said that there were numerous script changes, but the only noticeable ones I saw were; writers adding extra Unova to every single line and Team Rocket having one rhyme. Everything else remained pretty much the same, just worded differently.

I noticed that you (Dogasu) has a distaste on the new Team Rocket, and even call them "lobotomized robot zombies". The question is why do you like their comedic side? What makes them likeable at that state?

Thanks for reading.

I don't think it's so much that he liked the comedic Team Rocket, his problem is the totally abrupt character change they went through. Think about it, Best Wishes Team Rocket act nothing like the Team Rocket from previous series to the extent that they might as well be different characters altogether.

I mean I understand why you did it that way, you have to write something. But still..

Thinking about it, he doesn't always have to write comparisons up. I mean, there have been times he's done something as simple as this.

Dan and his father would have eventually figured out that the Meguroc were only trying to help,

I highly doubt that. :/

Also, I think now is as good a time as any to mention that the English version of the games changing Live Caster to "Xtransceiver" is one of the more pointless changes in recent memory.
The X makes it cool (Although it's pronounced Cross-Transceiver apparently).

xD

I agree with Dogasu that the third episode of BW was pretty bad. Its "plot" would feel right at home with the fillers of Johto. Sandile debuting and Oshawott being captured isn't enough to save it.

Its a shame to see that the anime has improved so much since Johto, yet we still sometimes get these same old COTD plots that make me feel like Ash is traveling in Johto again.

Originally, Nyasu isn't worried about Meguroc blowing their cover; he simply tells Meguroc that it's an eyesore.

Hm, I liked PUSA's change here better as it fits Meowth's character better. Nyasu sounds too mean there.

In BW003's defence, this was the first regular series episode Sonoda has written since the final episode of Advanced Generation. And before that he had only written three other AG episodes (29, 38, 42). He hadn't been writing the series regularly since Jouto; It had just been the movies. (Wrote Entei with Shudo, then wrote Celebi and up on his own.)

Anyway, nice comparison and I agree that Xtransceiver is a stupid name.

There's also an error on the List of TV Episodes. The Rocket/Plasma two parter is on the 17th and 24th, then the gym is on the 31st.

True, but the difference is negligible, in my opinion.

It's like these two example statements:

I'm going to meet her.
I'm going to meet Jasmine.

Now obviously her could refer to anyone, but a few moments later it's clear that her refers to Jasmine.

It does make a difference if in the scene we're not supposed to know it's Jasmine yet. Not a big, revolutionary difference, but still...

So Ash saying he's going meet Pokemon. Compared to "I'm going to meet all the Unova Pokemon." Is just as negligible.

Now let's look at Ash's character overall. Why would he be so picky and say "I only want to meet some Pokemon in the Unova" sounds to me like Ash knows he's going to run into a real nasty Pokemon and doesn't want to meet it. Judging by Ash's character he isn't going to be prejudice/discriminatory like apparently his original statement appears to imply.

The way I see it, it sounds to me like in the original he wants to meet whatever Unova Pokemon he ends up running into, not that he'd see two Unova Pokemon in the distance and decide to pick one to meet over the other.

Aside from viewer obviousness, what makes Cobalion more rare and unusual then Patrat, when to Ash at first everything is going to be rare and unusual?

In the second episode of B&W, there were a bazillion Patrat that went by when Ash saw them. Cobalion... I assume will do something in the show to show it's not an ordinary Pokemon. Time will tell though.

I think part of the reason is that Dogasu know far more Japanese than he did when he first started doing comparisons. Also keep in mind that pointing out something that isn't translated perfectly is not the same thing as complaining about it. Being nitpicky would be basically going into a page-long rant about every little edit that ever took place in the series.

to add to this, subs of the episodes are now far more readily available than they were in the past. Even at the start of Diamond/Pearl, releases were kinda slow, which is quite a contrast from the subs being released today. In a sense, people barely even have a reason to read Dogasu's comparisons when they can just as easily read the original script for themselves (though I still enjoy reading Dogasu's opinions on the episodes, personally). I guess there is a simple curiosity over what's been changed and what's left intact, but for that, I think Dogasu's free to point out as much as he wants. If that's what you came for to begin with, you shouldn't complain if he does it a tad excessively.

A black and white image at the very end of the magazine shows Ryouga with a Koaruhi, Monmen, Maracachi, and Zurug, though it is unknown if these pokemon actually belong to him at this time
Hitomoshi actually, not Monmen...although, he's pretty hard to see, so I can understand you thinking it was the cotton ball.

Dogasu's Backpack said:
The List of Pokemon has also been updated with the rest of the English names for the Generation V pokemon. I'm always amazed at how quickly fans are able to toss out the Japanese names in favor of the English ones, but my amazement became even more pronounced when I actually sat down and took a good look at the new batch of names. I just can't understand how people can throw away the names that have been working perfectly fine for them for the past six months or so in favor of crap like "Roggenrola" or "Amoonguss." And am I the only one having trouble spelling a lot of these names? Gah.

For me, and I'm sure every else who switched to the English names... I switch from Japanese to English because by default I use the English names, and the only reason I'd been using the Japanese names is because the English names haven't been revealed yet.

I'm fine using the English names since English is my native tongue. However, I am also fine with English-speaking people using the Japanese names since those are the original names.

Not saying I'm happy with all the English names. "EmoLga"?! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Not sure why there isn't the same number of the letter "s" in "Foongus" and "Amoonguss" either.

With all the spelling errors and indesisiveness about romanisations running rampant, I'm not sure if I'd say that fanbase's useage of the japanese names was ever 'perfectly fine' :p I'm glad we've finally seen the end of 'Hatopoo' and it's ilk, personally. Pun unintended.

Personally, I don't actively try sticking with one or the other, and both cases tend to be more of a subconcious thing. Sometimes I'll use the japanese, other times I'll slip into using english names due to the influence of other posts in a thread. I've found that I just end up with a weird jumble from each language a lot of the time.

I still use some of the Japanese names for the Gen 5 pokemon because the English names suck to me. I'd prefer Ishizumai over Dwebble and Zuruggu over Scraggy any day. But for the pokemon who's Japanese names I don't know I just use their English names. The same goes for humans sometimes. I still refer to Dento as Dento and not Cilan.

Don George merely tells the Janovy trainer to carry his pokemon out of there in the Japanese version. He doesn't say anything about healing it.

Nice to know Japanese Don George is a dick. "Get your shit, and get out." LOL. So I guess the dub made English Don George nicer.

Originally, Nyasu simply says "Blackee" since saying anything else would immediately blow his cover. In the English version, Meowth appears to be flirting with them.
I think given the distance and how distracted they were, I don't think they even noticed Meowth was speaking "English" in the dub, well to justify the dub. Plus given that Meowth usually only speaks in "human" language, it's probably even more justifiable, that he would speak human language. Especially as ill prepared as Meowth was.

mean, in this episode, it’s just a place where trainers can find other trainers to battle, something the people in every other region seem to be able to do all by themselves. Why do people need a specialized facility for this? What makes the battlefield in a Battle Club any different than, say, the battlefield you can find in the back yard of any Pokemon Center? Battle Clubs will get eventually get expanded on later in the series, but the facilities, as presented in this episode, don't really seem to serve any real purpose.
You missed the point of the battle club.

Hypothetical example. Let's say you want to battle someone with a Pikachu, it would probably be very rude to go around asking random strangers "Hey got a Pikachu, got a Pikachu, got a Pikcahu?" However with the Battle Club, you can actually look up data of people registered and actually battle said Pikachu.

Same goes with trainers. Suppose you heard about this really awesome trainer named "Dan" or something. Now instead of just looking every which way for this Dan character, just look up battle clubs.

The Battle Clubs are organized, they just aren't simple extra battling facilities that can be taken care of by a hypothetical Pokemon Center battlefield. Who even knows if said person or Pokemon you wish to battle is even remotely in said Pokemon Center.

Is there anyone out there who would have been upset at seeing an animated version of G'Cis' speech?
It was too soon though. They clearly want Team Rocket involved with Team Plasma, and with Team Rocket trying to "root" out Team Plasma it would've made no sense whatsoever for Team Plasma's "leader" to make a speech in the 4th episode of Best Wishes. Especially given how secretive Team Plasma has been; confirmed by Giovanni himself.

Wouldn't it have made more sense for them to assume that Musashi and Kojirou are the thieves and go after them,
No because that would mean Team Rocket were responsible for other Pokemon food thievery. Honestly it would make more sense for a "wild" Pokemon to be responsible for the food being stolen, not a trio who are suspicious and apparently don't know what the hell is going on. Remember they were caught by the camera/security system, had they been the food thieves prior, they would've known about the camera, security system. And as James pointed out, even if Don George didn't know, is James clearly did not care about the Pokemon food. So it had to have been a Pokemon, since that would probably be the only time something could've avoided the security system/camera just by pure luck.

How is Pokabu supposed to be the food thief in the first place when the rope tied around its snout apparently prevented it from eating at all?
I think it was implied that Tepig could eat food, just not large amounts of quantities because of the discomfort, which is why it got skinny. Because it was probably eating one piece of Pokemon food at one point.

Sure I guess it doesn't make sense regardless, because even if Tepig could only eat one piece of food at a time, if there were noticeable food missing, surely Tepig wouldn't have almost starved to death. Unless of course Tepig burned more calories trying to eat a piece of Pokemon food then it contained. Such as the real life food, Celery, which has what negative calories, because you burn more calories just chewing celery than celery has to offer? Something like that. And with a rope around it's mouth, just eating one piece of food, could be a work out.

Edit: Okay so apparently there might not be such a thing as a negative calorie food (in real life), but I think my point still stands as hypothetical circumstance which would explain Tepig being the culprit.

I hate to nitpick, but...

Nyasu's second line got a rewrite here. In the Japanese version, Nyasu agrees that luring the others away with a Blackee is a great idea, but he still doesn't understand what a can of paint has to do with any of that. That great face he makes after delivering his final line is him realizing just what Musashi and Kojirou have in mind.

In the dub, it seems like he realizes what's going on much earlier.

...I disagree with your reading of that scene in the dub. I don't think the implication is that Meowth understands what Jessie and James are planning any earlier, rather that he has some other stupid idea as to how the paint can help them (or no idea at all - he just sees Jessie take out the paint, hears she has a plan and is all, "cool, let's do it"). Then the penny drops that it involves putting the paint on him. So I think the face he makes at the end still amounts to much the same thing.

Other than that, great comparison.

I agree with Dogasu's interpretation, but either way the dub drained the humor out of that scene.

Compare Meowth's "Sounds like a brilliant plan. Gettin' rid of those guys with a can of paint. Now why didn't I think of that before?" to Nyasu wondering what paint has to do with anything. It just doesn't seem as funny, and I don't know why Meowth would think getting rid of them with paint is a good idea. It doesn't even make sense.

I'm also glad Dogasu pointed out Meowth talking instead of just saying Umbreon. I thought that was a really stupid change.

I agree that the "joke" in the dub version is more contrived than the original.

But, far from being more savvy in the dub, I think Meowth comes across as even more clueless. Whereas Nyasu just didn't understand what Musashi was planning to do with the paint, Meowth seems to be going off on a false trail completely.

I don't know why Meowth would think getting rid of them with paint is a good idea. It doesn't even make sense.

The joke = Meowth is an idiot. As I say, it's not a particularly good one, but I think that's about as much sense as you're going to get out of it.

I'm finally getting around to responding to this thread. Thanks, slow day at work!

So anyway, about the "you're too nitpicky thing." It's obviously a subjective thing, since the lines people find "too nitpicky" vary from person to person. I will say this, though; I'd rather be known for being too thorough than not thorough enough. I don't think I should have to restrict myself to reporting on *only* the major script changes, especially when everyone's definition of "major" is so different. Small differences count, too.

This is also as good a time as any to remind people that saying that something was changed is not the same thing as complaining that something is changed. If you actually go back through any of the comparisons I've done in the past two years or so, you'll notice that I actually complain very little. Most of the time, I'll say something like "In the original version, so-and-so said this. The dub changed it to this." The end. But the way some of you act, you'd think I was launching into these huge rants about each and every change. That's really quite unfair.

Musashi said:
Dogasu’s Backpack said:
Ash: "That Unova sky's full of stars."

Unova Unova Unova Unova Unova!

Satoshi says the same thing that Ash does, minus the region name.

You already mentioned the region name is said twenty one times earlier. I didn't think it was really necessary to point out this one.

It was a line too ridiculous to ignore. It was laughably bad and not at all natural sounding (I somehow managed to avoid saying "look at that Japan sky" the first time I came to this country), so why not bring it up?

The difference here is that their Pokemon are already gone. They probably already had a goodbye with them off screen.

They probably thought the goodbye would only be temporary. Otherwise, Kojirou wouldn't have bothered to ask Sakaki if they could be sent over to them in the first place.

In the second episode, it was implied that they wouldn't be getting their pokemon back until after their mission in the Isshu region is over at the earliest. That deserves a reaction other than "Oh, OK. Whatever."

dman dustin said:
Otherwise, all the other ones seem kind of nitpicky to call them "rewrites" of unimaginable horror, which is what seems to be implied with the line "but from what I've seen, the rewrites are as plentiful as ever."

Now let's look at Ash's character overall. Why would he be so picky and say "I only want to meet some Pokemon in the Unova" sounds to me like Ash knows he's going to run into a real nasty Pokemon and doesn't want to meet it. Judging by Ash's character he isn't going to be prejudice/discriminatory like apparently his original statement appears to imply.

Nice to know Japanese Don George is a dick. "Get your shit, and get out." LOL. So I guess the dub made English Don George nicer.

I'm really amazed at your ability to completely misinterpret the things you read on my site. None of what you're saying here is even hinted at, and I'll thank you to not put words in my mouth.

So Ash saying he's going meet Pokemon. Compared to "I'm going to meet all the Unova Pokemon." Is just as negligible.

It isn't because it changes the kid's goal for the whole series. If Satoshi doesn't meet every pokemon in the Isshu region by the time Best Wishes! ends, people will complain about how he didn't fulfill this goal to meet "all" of them. And then those of us who know better will have to explain that that was a dub only line. It'll be "it's been a year since we were in Viridian City" all over again.

winstein said:
I noticed that you (Dogasu) has a distaste on the new Team Rocket, and even call them "lobotomized robot zombies". The question is why do you like their comedic side? What makes them likeable at that state?

They were my favorite characters in the show. The trio made me laugh out loud on a regular basis, had a great dynamic, and helped save a number of episodes that would have been terrible otherwise. The episodes centered on the Rocket trio - whether it was the whole trio or a specific member - were always fantastic. They had great disguises, some really interesting mecha, were able to teach me a lot of things about the old Japanese shows they would parody, produced some of the best music in the franchise...I could go on and on.

They are a big reason of why I'm a fan of this series. Where do you think "Dogasu" comes from, after all? :p

Mjolnir said:
Thinking about it, he doesn't always have to write comparisons up. I mean, there have been times he's done something as simple as this.

That's a super old comparison that hasn't been touched in more than half a decade. To be honest, It's also not the type of comparison I'd ever write again.

Rex Kamex said:
It does make a difference if in the scene we're not supposed to know it's Jasmine yet. Not a big, revolutionary difference, but still...

It's like how, in the dub, Team Rocket knew who Team Galactic was more than a dozen episodes before they were supposed to. It's a small change, sure, but it's still a change worth bringing up.

Yamato-san said:
In a sense, people barely even have a reason to read Dogasu's comparisons when they can just as easily read the original script for themselves (though I still enjoy reading Dogasu's opinions on the episodes, personally).

I actually try to avoid the fansubs as much as possible. I don't want to fall into the habit of relying on others' translations, y'know?

And while you could argue that my newer comparisons aren't necessary (the thought's crossed my mind as well), I do feel that they still have a purpose. People can take a look at the two and compare things for themselves, but a lot of the time they just can't be bothered. I also think people find that loading up a Dogasu's Backpack comparison is easier than taking the time to find the episodes and watch them back to back.

dman dustin said:
I think given the distance and how distracted they were, I don't think they even noticed Meowth was speaking "English" in the dub, well to justify the dub. Plus given that Meowth usually only speaks in "human" language, it's probably even more justifiable, that he would speak human language. Especially as ill prepared as Meowth was.

They were able to hear him tap the side of the wall, though. That's how he was able to get their attention in the first place.

And Meowth has faked pokemon language plenty of times before. Human language is still a second language to him, though the dub did pretty much abandon that aspect of the character after Season One.

As far as being ill-prepared; he was already fully painted when he appeared before Don George and the others. He would have had plenty of time to get his shit togther before drawing everyone's attention to him.

The line is a rewrite regardless of your feelings toward the new dialogue.

You missed the point of the battle club.

Hypothetical example. Let's say you want to battle someone with a Pikachu, it would probably be very rude to go around asking random strangers "Hey got a Pikachu, got a Pikachu, got a Pikcahu?" However with the Battle Club, you can actually look up data of people registered and actually battle said Pikachu.

Except they never show anything even remotely like that in the actual episode. The Dewott trainer didn't look up Ash's information in the computer; he just went up to him like everyone else and asked for a battle. In this episode, the Battle Club didn't serve any purpose.

It was too soon though.

It wouldn't have been too soon if the Rocket trio never met up with them. They could have had a bunch of unrelated scenes showing the trio arriving in Sanyou City or something while Satoshi and Iris watch the big speech back in Karakusa Town.

And even if the trio was in town to watch the speech, they'd probably just ignore it. Remember, they don't know that Sakaki is just using them to lure out any secret organization; they just think he wants them to gather a new kind of energy. They wouldn't necessarily have any reason to be concerned about this organization.

No because that would mean Team Rocket were responsible for other Pokemon food thievery. Honestly it would make more sense for a "wild" Pokemon to be responsible for the food being stolen, not a trio who are suspicious and apparently don't know what the hell is going on. Remember they were caught by the camera/security system, had they been the food thieves prior, they would've known about the camera, security system. And as James pointed out, even if Don George didn't know, is James clearly did not care about the Pokemon food. So it had to have been a Pokemon, since that would probably be the only time something could've avoided the security system/camera just by pure luck.

The security cameras captured two unknown people wearing matching black uniforms and a Meowth running away at the sight of a security camera. They are then identified as members of Team Rocket by Ash. How is that *not* a giant fucking red flag?

Of course they didn't actually steal the food, but how is Don George supposed to know that?

I'm really amazed at your ability to completely misinterpret the things you read on my site. None of what you're saying here is even hinted at, and I'll thank you to not put words in my mouth.

I'm really getting sick of people accusing of me of putting words into their mouths when I'm not. Especially when some of the quotes had nothing to do with what you said.

Okay let's look at specifically at all the cases you quoted me on.
1. Otherwise, all the other ones seem kind of nitpicky to call them "rewrites" of unimaginable horror, which is what seems to be implied with the line "but from what I've seen, the rewrites are as plentiful as ever." Yeah sure whatever. As if inferring your statement as "rewrites of unimaginable horror" is putting words in your mouth. You said this (quoting the whole thing): I've seen quite a few people online describe Season 14's dub as being an exact one-on-one translation, but from what I've seen, the rewrites are as plentiful as ever. The music's fixed, sure, but the writing is just as off as it's always been. Now let's got to Musashi's general rant of Team Rocket DP shall we, she said (paraphrasing here, not putting words in her mouth), that she hates most of DP Team Rocket, because Jimmy Zoppi had written them as abusive, hating each other, and very contradictory to their Japanese version. Personally that equates to something in my opinion as "unimaginable horror" something you don't like about dubbing making you angry/pissed/intolerable of the script changes. Specifically saying they are as "plentiful" as ever pretty much says that it's the same changes that makes you mad, pisses you off, or just makes it plain not viewable judging by what were the usual complaints for the previous series "script changes." Call it putting words in your mouth or not, way to miss my point. My point was given the past complaints of script changes, you made is sound as if the rewrites were just as intolerable as the script changes from before.

So something like:

Musashi: Scary bear go RAWR
Jessie: My nails broke

Is an intolerable script change (because of the complaints that have occurred before dealing with the subject of rewrites.

Something like:

Satoshi: I want to meet Pokemon
Ash: I want to meet all POKEMON.

Is not an intolerable rewrite, nor is it an unreasonable rewrite.

2. Now let's look at Ash's character overall. Why would he be so picky and say "I only want to meet some Pokemon in the Unova" sounds to me like Ash knows he's going to run into a real nasty Pokemon and doesn't want to meet it. Judging by Ash's character he isn't going to be prejudice/discriminatory like apparently his original statement appears to imply. Let's go back to Satoshi's words: he wants to meet pokemon in the Isshu region. You specifically say later that: Let's continue exaggerating, shall we? In the Japanese version, Satoshi states that the pokemon in the region are mysterious. He doesn't say anything about meeting any of them, much less all of them.
2b. That means going back to the quote of what I was saying, Satoshi was more picky. If he doesn't want to meet ALL of them then surely he's being picky and only wants to meet some of them. There's just no way to argue this. If you don't say "all" then you could only ever mean "some" no circumstance could ever prove me wrong on this especially since were dealing with a quantity of something here. And I'd really like to see you try to prove me wrong on this.

3. Nice to know Japanese Don George is a dick. "Get your shit, and get out." LOL. So I guess the dub made English Don George nicer. Let's go back to what Don George Japanese version said. Don George merely tells the Janovy trainer to carry his pokemon out of there in the Japanese version. He doesn't say anything about healing it. HOW does that not equal "Get your shit and get out" in a dick kind of way. I mean really. What about the kid maybe he just wanted stay and watch any other possible matches, why was it so important for Japanese Don George to kick him out. That doesn't make sense at all. At least the English version made sense. Otherwise he comes off as a dick. Sorry no way around that. He disregarded the boy's opinion of what he wanted to do, and even if he didn't say it in a rude manner, he was still rude. I don't think there's any way you can say "leave" without sounding like a dick, or some upset person, or even annoyed. There has to be some negative reason to tell a person to "leave" without explanation. The only positive "get out" is if a person is in danger, and that's clearly not the case here.

It isn't because it changes the kid's goal for the whole series. If Satoshi doesn't meet every pokemon in the Isshu region by the time Best Wishes! ends, people will complain about how he didn't fulfill this goal to meet "all" of them. And then those of us who know better will have to explain that that was a dub only line. It'll be "it's been a year since we were in Viridian City" all over again.

Ash said: "For sure! I wanna meet all the Pokémon from Unova![/B]

I really want to meet Jennifer Love Hewitt. Doesn't mean I'll ever meet her? I want to be a millionaire, doesn't mean I will be? I want to live in a giant mansion sized house....doesn't mean I'm going to? See my point?

Now, I can see how "I'll meet them all" does set some goal, but really how is this even comparable to your examples (It's been a year since we've been here, or "I'll see such and such" when it was only a dub promise especially a Pokemon). Does anyone really, really care if Ash doesn't meet all the Unova Pokemon despite saying he will. Besides, Ash has seen all the Sinnoh Pokemon outside of the banned Porygon-Z, so I think it's a huge leap if Ash remains the flagship character for the anime that there will be some Pokemon Ash never meets, assuming said Pokemon even gets an anime appearance.

They were able to hear him tap the side of the wall, though. That's how he was able to get their attention in the first place.
I thought they only reacted when he spoke. If they really did notice him and really notice before speaking why say anything at all.

As far as being ill-prepared; he was already fully painted when he appeared before Don George and the others. He would have had plenty of time to get his shit togther before drawing everyone's attention to him.
You don't read a script once, wear a costume and jump out and put on a play in front of a large audience, do you? Considering he is a Meowth, and as you said human language is a second language, well so would imitating another Pokemon. Now I'm sure if he had time to prepare he probably would've said "UMBREON" or something, but all of this was last minute, and knowing the anime it only took a few seconds to paint Meowth. Hell Meowth did even want to do it.

The line is a rewrite regardless of your feelings toward the new dialogue.
LOL, I never said it wasn't. I was just explaining it.

Except they never show anything even remotely like that in the actual episode. The Dewott trainer didn't look up Ash's information in the computer; he just went up to him like everyone else and asked for a battle. In this episode, the Battle Club didn't serve any purpose.
Did you, did you not see Iris explaining the Battle club to Ash. Did you not see the various profiles that popped up

And come on really? Ash and Pikachu were right there. Right next to the Dewott trainer. It's a huge leap to think the Dewott trainer HAD to look up Ash's information when he was right there and saw Ash had a Pikachu.

Come on now, be reasonable. This episode was just introducing them for crying out loud. You want your big example of what I'm talking about: BW010. Sure it's not "this" episode but "this" episode was never about the Battle Club in general it was just a setting in "Accumula Town" and again was just introducing it.

It wouldn't have been too soon if the Rocket trio never met up with them. They could have had a bunch of unrelated scenes showing the trio arriving in Sanyou City or something while Satoshi and Iris watch the big speech back in Karakusa Town.

And even if the trio was in town to watch the speech, they'd probably just ignore it. Remember, they don't know that Sakaki is just using them to lure out any secret organization; they just think he wants them to gather a new kind of energy. They wouldn't necessarily have any reason to be concerned about this organization.
Not my point. Giovanni said that the organization in Unova existed but they were being secretive, on the down low, and Giovanni's purpose was to oust them out in the open regardless if he told the trio of his plan or not. It would've been completely contradictory to try and oust them out of "hiding" if they're making big speeches out in the open in town.

Even if it could've easily been some random group unrelated to the organization, just by being "secretive" as Giovanni says the group is, means they wouldn't have made any speeches at all, drawing attention to themselves. And something like a speech is going to try people's attention to you. Maybe if it was just Ghetis, maybe you could argue that there's no way anyone could've figured out it was "Team Plasma" but then again the suit Ghetis is wearing is highly unusual even if he were to pull an anime Cyrus and pretend to be someone he's not, by wearing different clothes, etc, etc, etc.

The security cameras captured two unknown people wearing matching black uniforms and a Meowth running away at the sight of a security camera. They are then identified as members of Team Rocket by Ash. How is that *not* a giant fucking red flag?

Of course they didn't actually steal the food, but how is Don George supposed to know that?
Because Ash said "Team Rocket steal other people's Pokemon" not "Team Rocket steals Pokemon food"

Again a wild Pokemon or a Pokemon stealing food makes a hell of a lot more sense than Team Rocket stealing Pokemon food for whatever the hell reason. And I'm sure Team Rocket, well, Jessie and James don't eat Pokemon food nor would they even have a reason to steal noticeable amounts of Pokemon food.

I hope you don't actually expect me to respond to all of that, do you?

Look, I don't care if you think the changes are "minor" or "unimportant," or even "changes for the better." Because at the end of the day, my comparisons are there to point out differences between the Japanese version and the English version. What you do with that information afterward is completely up to you.

Back
Top Bottom