• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Well, it's a little late (not that I mind, I understand Dogasu has had a busy year as well as having me select a re-write heavy episode), but the comparison of 'Charizard's Burning Ambition' is up on the site. It's easily one of the most in-depth recaps I've seen, and I thank Dogasu for doing such a great job.

Next up is 'Throwing the Track Switch'. If it's half as good as 'Charizard's Burning Ambition', I'll be more than happy.

EDIT: Just realised... hey, you guys know it's up. My bad.

Last edited:
Very interesting that Lenora's Herdier was not explicitly mentioned to be the same Lillipup used in the previous episode in the Japanese version. I had always assumed that Iris and Cilan were talking about the Herdier being a "different species" of pokemon from Lillipup, not a different pokemon entirely.

Seems like Liza's character is a bit different in the Japanese version than the dub. Not to mention the dub gave her that awful Lisa Ortiz generic voice that all the female Johto characters had. 4kids made Johto even more tedious by giving every female the same damn voice.

I am glad the touching scenes between Ash and Charizard were more or less left in tact, I know this was the big episode where a lot of people started to hate Johto, simply because it seemed like Charizard was going the way of Pidgeot.

Although I find it odd they don't know Charla is a girl...I mean what the hell is the pink bowtie for?

Seems like Liza's character is a bit different in the Japanese version than the dub. Not to mention the dub gave her that awful Lisa Ortiz generic voice that all the female Johto characters had. 4kids made Johto even more tedious by giving every female the same damn voice.

I am glad the touching scenes between Ash and Charizard were more or less left in tact, I know this was the big episode where a lot of people started to hate Johto, simply because it seemed like Charizard was going the way of Pidgeot.

Although I find it odd they don't know Charla is a girl...I mean what the hell is the pink bowtie for?

Guys can't wear girls clothes?

Remember Harley? *Throws up*

What about that Chansey trainer in "Pokemon Fashion Flash"? Is that a man or a woman?

Also, Ash thought Anabel from Battle Frontier was a guy.

Let's not forget, the mods at Bulbapedia refuse to acknowledge that Satoshi's Lizardon is a guy...

Gliscor'd said:

All the fans I've come across love this episode. We don't have a review thread for it up here, but if you go over to some of the other pokemon forums, you'll see that it's one of the more universally praised episodes in the saga. I don't know where you're getting this whole "this is what got people to start their Johto hate" thing from.

There was never a question about Lisa-chan's gender. The Rocket trio stated that they didn't know whether or not Satoshi's Lizardon is a male, not Sieg's.

Also, I want to see a Lizardon with a pink bowtie :p MAKE IT HAPPEN, FAN ARTISTS!!!!

CliveKoopa said:
What about that Chansey trainer in "Pokemon Fashion Flash"? Is that a man or a woman?

Japanese Episode 028

Side Note
This episode also marks the series' first (confirmed) homosexual with the Lucky trainer who visits Yuki and who, later in the episode, greets Kasumi in the streets. While his name isn't spoken in the actual episode itself, the third book in the Kids Pocket Books Pocket Monsters series identifies the character as Okama-san (オカマさん). The word okama means "male homosexual," "effeminate man," "male transvestite," or, in certain contexts, "queer" or "fag."

ep028_okama_book.jpg

(Yeah, you can argue that "effeminate man" and "male transvestite" doesn't' necessarily translate to "homosexual," but I think the intention here is fairly obvious).

The amazing part of all this is that 4Kids pretty much kept the character intact. And when you consider that this episode was dubbed in the era of the Cloverway dub of Sailor Moon, the fact that a gay character wasn't "censored" for an American release is a pretty big deal..

Ah, that comparison almost felt like a breathe of fresh air. I've wanted to read older episode comparisons for a while. And now I got a very in-depth one.

Liza: "Welcome! This is the Charicific Valley. This is a special place. A place where Charizard have lived in peace for thousands of years. This is the ancient place where the greatest Charizard in Pokémon history come from.."

The "Charizard have lived in peace for thousands of years" and the "greatest Charizard in Pokémon history" parts are both inventions of the dub. In the Japanese version, Sieg only says that the Lizardon in the valley are seen as being like the mamori gami (守り神), or "guardian deities" of the area. Additionally, Sieg is finished with her little speech before the end of the pan-up shot of the main gate of the valley, but in the dub, Liza doesn't stop talking until her Charla actually lands.
I'm assuming that the term "deities" was at least part of the reason that line was re-written since I believe religious terms were not allowed at the time.

The way Liza was written makes her come across as...well...pretty bitchy in comparison to the original's Sieg. Though honestly, I probably wouldn't even mind all that much if the voice didn't amplify how obnoxious some of her dialogue seems.

Have re-re-reread the recap, I also want to say how much I agree with Dogasu's comments regarding Satoshi's Lizardon during early Johto in regards to just how unfair it was for Satoshi to be taking the thing around. This was best exemplified in the battle against Nanako where Lizardon just plowed through her team mercilessly.

But I think the point when I realized that it's time on the show would be quickly coming to an end was in the battle against Hayato and his Pideot. I mean, seriously, beginning trainers were expected to defeat that Pideot?! Lizardon had trouble against it, god knows how a newbie and his low level Chicorita/Hinorashi/Waninoko was supposed to fare against it. And besides, the writers had to injure Lizardon's wing just to make the fight last a bit longer. There was no way the writers were going to do that every battle.

It's no wonder the writers decided to have Satoshi leave his Pokemon (besides Pikachu) behind at the beginning of every series, therefore they don't need to be written out that Lizardon and Zenigame were (plus, it actually lets Satoshi build up a decent number of reserves).

Dogasu said:
One, do any of you know exactly which episodes of Shuukan Pokemon Housoukyoku used Hello! Thank You! as the ending theme?

None. :p It was a Pokemon Sunday ending theme. Used for episode 16-51.

Dogasu said:
Two, does anyone know how to romanize 伝田一正? That's the name of the guy who plays the guitar in Torikaekko Please, but I have no idea how to write that out in English letters. His nickname appears to be "DenDen," which leads me to believe that "Denda" is his family name. But what about his given name? Anyone able to confirm which of the *counts* six possible readings it could be?

Denda Kazumasa, according to this and a bunch of other places.

Just saw the new site update. I guess that in regards to the dub movie names, TPCi went with the games (Reshiram is the mascot of Black, and Zekrom is the mascot of White) for some reason.

For "Charizard's Burning Ambitions", I'm surprised you didn't mention this as a Side Note (not that I'm really bummed that you did or anything- the comparison being here at all is still great), but during the whole "Charizard Chills in the water" scene, "Miracle Tears", from the Japanese first movie (when Pokemon tears revive Ash and whatnot) plays, even in the dub (I say even 'cause I doubt the dub replaced silence/Japanese music with the piece "Miracle Tears"). Dunno how often that piece plays in the Japanese episodes (I have the feeling it's rare), buuuuuuuut it's probably the only time it's been heard in the dub. I thought it was an interesting note.

I LOVE your work. I've read every single one of your comparisions over the year and I THANK YOU for all the hard work you've been doing all these years! Keep it up Dogasu. You're an inspiration!

The comparison for the second episode I requested, Throwing the Track Switch, is up and here's my thoughts...

First of all, it's a great comparison and I can't wait for the one for 'A Pyramiding Rage'.

Unlike nearly everyone else at the time, I thought the trade made perfect sense. Buoysel was certainly a Satoshi Pokemon, and none of the other Gen IV water-types really suited him. I think my only concern was that Aipom (who was, and still is, my favourite Pokemon) would end up being sidelined by the writers when she went to Hikari... sadly, I was right.

Also, PUSA was never consistent translating Nozomi's call when she sent out her Pokemon. First Zoey said 'Curtain', then during the Wallace Cup it was correctly translated as 'Ready, Go' then during the Grand Festival it became 'Curtain, let's go'. Man, PUSA really aren't good at translating characters catchphrases...

I remember being against the trade at the time, though my reasoning was because I thought the idea of having these two pokemon using battle styles that weren't typical of their trainer's chosen profession, and having to adapt to that, would've been more interesting. I still think the trade took away a big part of what made Aipom a fun character to have around. It being showy and a bit of a ham in battles made for a quirky trait on Ash's side, but since that kind of thing is contest pokemon standard, it's not really something that stood out when on Hikari's team.
Buoysel faired pretty well, though.

I remember being against the trade at the time, though my reasoning was because I thought the idea of having these two pokemon using battle styles that weren't typical of their trainer's chosen profession, and having to adapt to that, would've been more interesting. I still think the trade took away a big part of what made Aipom a fun character to have around. It being showy and a bit of a ham in battles made for a quirky trait on Ash's side, but since that kind of thing is contest pokemon standard, it's not really something that stood out when on Hikari's team.
Buoysel faired pretty well, though.

As I said, the one thing I will agree with people on is the fact that Aipom, having had quite a bit of focus previous to this episode, was quickly shoved into the background. Apart from the brief practice battle she had at the beginning of the next episode, she didn't appear as an Aipom again until the episode in which she evolved into Eteboth and got that horrible dub voice. And after that, she was given as much focus as any of Hikari's Pokemon whose names weren't Pochama.

As I said, the one thing I will agree with people on is the fact that Aipom, having had quite a bit of focus previous to this episode, was quickly shoved into the background. Apart from the brief practice battle she had at the beginning of the next episode, she didn't appear as an Aipom again until the episode in which she evolved into Eteboth and got that horrible dub voice. And after that, she was given as much focus as any of Hikari's Pokemon whose names weren't Pochama.

And let's not forget her eventual release, which basically made this whole trading part kind of pointless...

Back
Top Bottom