• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

And let's not forget her eventual release, which basically made this whole trading part kind of pointless...

I think that was simply because the writers were probably under mandate to get a Generation II starter onto someone's team. Satoshi had a full squad and Takeshi already had Usokkie so it had to be Hikari (given that I actually believe the writers intended to give her a Togekiss late in the game).

It does make Satoshi declaring he'll see Aipom in the Grand Festival a bit of unintentional comedy.

Dogasu's Backpack said:
This episode also made me realize one of the (many) reasons I don't care for Lisa Ortiz as a voice actor: she also has this really annoying tendency to speak as if every word in the script is written in bold italics. If she'd stop trying to act so much and just talk like a normal human fucking being, her performances would be so, so much better.

god, couldn't have said it better myself. Jouto was a horrible saga, but boy, did 4kids have a hell of a time making it even worse.

"But I thought the show said that trading is bad, based on that one episode that aired almost fifteen years ago!"

it is a shame how this misconception had to linger around for so long, considering that "trading" was one of the main points of the games since the beginning (and it's pretty much the main reason, if not the only reason, we had different versions of the same game in the first place). I know the anime emphasizes Pokemon as being friends and all, but the line needs to be drawn somewhere. Seriously, do most Trainers really give a crap about the Pokemon's feelings when they capture them? Given, many captures in the show are voluntary on the Pokemon's part, but many others were spontaneous (like pretty much every bird Satoshi got up to this point), while others were the result of Satoshi or someone else greedily going "I wanna have it!" Also, shame on Ookido for condemning the Koiking salesman in that Housou special on the basis that "Pokemon should not be sold" (hear that kids? Better go free that Porygon you just wasted 9,999 of your hard-earned pachinko parlor tokens on; while we're at it, let's condemn all pet-owners who didn't adopt their animal from a shelter).

That's clearly a Rapidash and not a Ponyta, right? Did PUSA pull a 4Kids on us and mis-identify a pokemon here?

Surprisingly, the same "mistaking Gallop for Ponyta" goof occurs in the Japanese version as well! What we hear in the dub is a faithful translation of what was said in the Japanese version, believe it or not. While I'm the last person you'll ever meet who approves of script changes, I think I would have been fine if PUSA had decided to correct this little error. Oh well!

come to think of it, has TPCi made ANY Pokemon mis-identifications since they took over? I know that in the first Mystery Dungeon special, Ekans was identified as "Arbok", but much is the case here, that turned out to be in the Japanese version as well (but oddly enough, the English version came first... maybe they received the script before the animation was completed?).

The reason I'm drawing attention to this fact is because it marks the first appearance of the East Sea Karanakushi in the TV series.

Yeah, and when it does make an in-series appearance, it gets shafted just so we could have focus on ANOTHER West Sea variant that got its sorry ass lost somehow. Seriously, what the fuck? The franchise in general seems to enjoy shafting the East variants in favor of the West (which is a real shame, as some of us prefer the blue guys).

From the day that episode aired to this, I have been unable to fathom any, any reason why that episode chose to focus on a West Sea Karanakushi as opposed to an East Sea. West Sea Karanakushi had already got plenty of focus up to that point since it was one of Nozomi's Pokemon so why the writers decided to give it another episode is beyond me.

Also, I think that until it was revealed Shinji was going to use one against Satoshi many fans that written off East Sea Tritodon appearing in the show at all.

Also, I think that until it was revealed Shinji was going to use one against Satoshi many fans that written off East Sea Tritodon appearing in the show at all.

'cause why not? It's not like this show's had trouble showcasing alternate Pokemon forms before. Hell, I don't think Minomucchi's sand and trash cloaks ever made an appearance at all, and when Unknown finally got its first appearance since Jouto at some point in Diamond/Pearl, I failed to notice its new question mark shape making at least a background cameo (and I think the exclamation point only appeared as a hieroglyph). We can probably count out most of Arceus's plated forms making an appearance as well.

'cause why not? It's not like this show's had trouble showcasing alternate Pokemon forms before. Hell, I don't think Minomucchi's sand and trash cloaks ever made an appearance at all...

Oh yeah, they didn't did they? Hell, Minomadam's forms didn't fare much better. Their brief appearances in Momi's introduction episode seemed to be the writers saying "Right, we've shown them all. You happy now?" to the viewers. Apart from that, Grass Minomadam only made a brief appearance in the Darkrai movie and Trash Minomadam never appeared again. Sandy Minomadam got the most substantial appearance, and even that was a simple appeal in Urara's debut episode.

"Hikari needs a water-type pokemon, even though Coordinators don't really need to worry about having a well balanced team since they don't compete in gyms!"

Huh? Was there some reason why Pochama didn't count for whoever said that?

Ah, yes. Considering what's happened not to long ago in our present series where some were quick to label the review thread as pure, unadulterated outrage, I really had a laugh at that because even after all this time, I remember how chaotic things were around here when DP was young and we were in that interrim between the episode where Zoey proposed the trade (that was abruptly dropped the second she said it) and the episode where the trade finally happened. Hell, there was even fandom uproar when Buizel was captured because a lot of people didn't want Dawn catching it. So no matter who had Buizel, it was upsetting somebody for not-very-good reasons.

I was pretty neutral about the trade issue, though admittedly it was a surprise to see it happen after over a decade of this show where no trades outside of the Butterfree-Raticate one took place. Even though this was back in Kanto where they were ridiculous about a lot of game-adapted concepts that are quite accepted now, such as evolution and the like, I wouldn't have seen this coming if only because in all the time that's passed since that Kanto episode, the matter of trade was always avoided for some wierd reason. I will say, though, that I think Aipom lost a lot of her charm after the trade, and especially after becoming Ambipom. Guess that's just a writers' flub, though, considering the retarded way they eventually sent Ambipom packing and all. Buizel fared better, but he became a glorified jobber for a good chunk of DP as I recall... at the very least, Buizel did get his chance to shine in the Wallace Cup and I thought it was really nice of the writers to acknowledge in-canon that Buizel never got to partake in a Contest before the trade. So it wasn't all bad.

I'm looking forward to and yet somewhat dreading the upcoming review for A Pyramiding Rage!, if only because I'm certain a particular fan theory's going to get addressed and mocked here. :p But I have written full transcripts of both the dubbed episode and the original fansubbed for my own purposes, so I'll probably know what to expect content-wise. On the plus side, Team Rocket was translated pretty faithfully in that episode as I recall. No major deviations from the script and no insults slung at each other... not as much alliteration either, if I'm not mistaken. Oh well. That'll be fun, surely.

Huh? Was there some reason why Pochama didn't count for whoever said that?

I was wondering that, and why some people thought that Pokemon was saying trading in general was an issue, based on "Battle Abroad the St. Anne", where Ash traded a Pokemon of his to some guy he didn't really know, for a Pokemon I'm pretty sure he wasn't really hugely interested in, and after finally deciding to do so based on Brock's saying trading's awesum despite the fact that he was saying that under distraction of that woman the Raticate trainer was with.

the DP 055 review said:
That's clearly a Rapidash and not a Ponyta, right? Did PUSA pull a 4Kids on us and mis-identify a pokemon here?

Surprisingly, the same "mistaking Gallop for Ponyta" goof occurs in the Japanese version as well! What we hear in the dub is a faithful translation of what was said in the Japanese version, believe it or not. While I'm the last person you'll ever meet who approves of script changes, I think I would have been fine if PUSA had decided to correct this little error. Oh well!
That's wrong. It is indeed a Ponyta.

Ponyta have the flames on their legs originate on their knees, like the picture shows.

Rapidash have the flames on right at their hooves. You're just being fooled by what only LOOKS like a horn on the head. No one's mistaken.

077Ponyta.png

190px-078Rapidash.png

ep055_gallop.png

The fire fur matches with Rapidash. The horn helpes to show that it's a Rapidash. The legs, body and horse mouth match too. If you ask me, it has half the features of Ponyta and half the features of Rapidash.

The "horn" is too short and curved instead of straight (it looks like an ear, which it can be, since Ponyta's ears have been seen going forward, ala its BW sprite), the bulk of the mane is much too short, and again, the leg flames are all wrong to be a Rapidash. You don't screw that last bit up if you're really trying to not confuse the two.

And if you really want to get down to it, Munchlax is a foot shorter than Ponyta, which is supported by the size difference between them in the screenshot. Of course, they screw size up all the time, but if an animator really thought he was supposed to be drawing a five foot horse over a three foot horse, why isn't Munchlax just a little smaller?

EDIT: And double checking for movement between the two silhouettes, the tail is much too short to be Rapidash's, being approximate with Ponyta's.

Last edited:
I was wondering that, and why some people thought that Pokemon was saying trading in general was an issue, based on "Battle Abroad the St. Anne", where Ash traded a Pokemon of his to some guy he didn't really know, for a Pokemon I'm pretty sure he wasn't really hugely interested in, and after finally deciding to do so based on Brock's saying trading's awesum despite the fact that he was saying that under distraction of that woman the Raticate trainer was with.

I think those people missed out on the mid-Jouto episode that played up how trading was good and allowed people to train different Pokemon, too :p

And I gotta agree with Luna, that does indeed look like a Ponyta.

Last edited:
077Ponyta.png

190px-078Rapidash.png

ep055_gallop.png

The fire fur matches with Rapidash. The horn helpes to show that it's a Rapidash. The legs, body and horse mouth match too. If you ask me, it has half the features of Ponyta and half the features of Rapidash.
Let's see...according to the Pokédex, Munchlax is 2'00" ; Ponyta is 3'03" and Rapidash is 5'07". I'd expect that, although sizes wouldn't be kept at all during a trade display, that there were at least somewhat proportionate.

Judging from the body shape alone, I'd say it's a Rapidash; however, the flames do match Ponyta's more. I'm going with it being a Ponyta that needs to eat more.

The closed captions for the English version of this episode refer to Zoey as a boy, which is kind of amusing.
I had to smirk at that one. Because we all know how the fandom interprets Zoey =3

...................... And this is why mistaken identity was made in the show.

............................... Now that's what I call a "Who's That Pokemon?"..... Meheheheheheh....

EDIT: Wait..... *looks closer at pictures* .......Unnnnnnnngh...... They should've used something easier to identify, like a Jigglypuff from above...

Last edited:
I agree with how ludicrous all those fandom complaints about the trade were. And yet there was also an uproar about Dawn catching Buizel instead of Ash. The fandom just can't make up it's mind. Or should I say, it's impossible to please everyone?

The artists seemed to have messed up on the Ponyta/Rapidash silhouette since it does kind of look like it's a cross between both. Though more like Ponyta to me, personally.

I agree with how ludicrous all those fandom complaints about the trade were. And yet there was also an uproar about Dawn catching Buizel instead of Ash. The fandom just can't make up it's mind. Or should I say, it's impossible to please everyone?

The trade itself wasn't ridiculous, I just think people wanted Ash to keep Aipom. Considering we now know Ambipom gets released anyway...it might have been better if it stayed with Ash.

The writers should have rotated Ash's team in DP.

Hold up here, guys.

Let's stay on the topic of the episodes/comparisons in question that Dogasu has painstakingly provided us with without going off on a tangent, shall we? If you guys want to talk about rotating 'mons, there's this thread or you could start your own.

It's best to remove the side note about Ponyta and Gallop. They write the episode first, then animate it(how is it possible to know what to animate without a written episode) and dub it. The writers must have written for a Ponyta/Munchlax trade to appear for the animators to animate and the voice actors to dub so it can't be a script error unless they told the voice actors to do the script themselves. It's best to remove the side note or say it's an animation error if you still think it's rapidash when it looks like it can be both.

Back
Top Bottom