• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Hello, Dogasu. It's been a while, since I just started school again earlier this month. I got a 3DS and Pokémon Y with some of my leftover financial aid money; and I'm about 9 and a half hours in since I picked it up last Friday. I'm enjoying how big Kalos is; and how they've managed to not only introduce new gameplay elements successfully, they've revamped old ones to make things interesting for both newcomers and true believers alike. It's also successfully made the transition to full 3D graphics. Seeing the world and how detailed and colorful it is; I'm going through the same emotions when I played Super Mario 64 and The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time for the first time. Regarding Best Wishes: I'm sorry you were disappointed with it, but I enjoyed it and thought ShoPro did the best they could given how the Tohoku disaster threw a Gear Grind into their plans (which I think is more drastic than the GS Ball conundrum all those years ago). For my money, I enjoyed watching it; and I also am glad your recaps helped me reach a broader understanding of the franchise. I started watching the raw and subtitled versions around that time; so I could see myself what goes on the journey from Japanese to English-speaking audiences. I am personally going to miss Best Wishes, but the double whammy of Origins and XY has helped me cope fast. Origins was really good; telling a distinct, cinematic take on the first couple games; and also using elements from other adaptations to tell something of their own. With them setting up Mew at the end and the uniformly positive critical and fan response; I could see it becoming its own separate continuity (which is thankfully what I wanted; I was not among those who wanted to just gut the main anime in favor of Origins). I could see a model similar to Star Wars or the Marvel Cinematic Universe; given how Origins and the franchise as a whole have appeal that big. The XY series is pretty good so far. The animation is very slick, much like Best Wishes was; I like the design of Ash's new threads (I'm looking for a hat like his and Red's Fire Red/Leaf Green hat; with no luck), and I think Citron may be one of my favorite male companions. He's what Max should have been for me: he's a strong battler and also has the knowledge to match. I also like that he builds these gadgets and his whole backpack with the mechanical arms (I'm reminded of Doctor Octopus from Spider-Man). Bonnie is also pretty cute. I'm also excited to see where Serena goes. She seems like a nice lady; and I think being a part of Ash's past could set something up. Even with other series coming and going; I'm at least willing to give newer seasons a chance unlike a lot of other people. I'll be here to see what you make of the rest of Best Wishes as the dub winds down and makes way for XY. See you later: I'm training my Frogadier, Rash, and I just got my Torchic with the Mega Stone.

A listing for a "Pokémon The Complete Original Series" Blu-ray box set has cropped up on blu-ray.com, a site I have absolutely no familiarity with so I have no idea if they're reputable or not.

It's not an official Blu-ray site by any stretch of the imagination, as the bottom of the homepage says, they're not affiliated with the Blu-ray Disc Association. (their official pages is bluray-disc.com)

It's a database that anyone can add entries to. I've made several entries for Pokemon Blu-rays and DVDs that actually do exist. This one, for instance. Every time a new entry is added to the database it needs to be approved, but the admins are pretty lenient and will let almost anything through. It's fairly comprehensive, and often accurate when actual information from the publisher (such as a bar-code number for the product) is included, but there are a lot of entries there that are just placeholders for Blu-rays that obviously don't exist at the present (there are similar entries for Warner releases of the dubs for movies one and two)

When that entry first popped up, it was obvious by the average-looking mock-up of the pack that it was fake, but there doesn't appear to be any way of getting something like that taken down.

Yeah. Too bad the Kanto Blu-Ray turned out to be a crock. I was rather looking forward to watching some of my old favorites in HD. At least there's another release of the first Indigo League set. I watched my copy of the 2006 release so much I wore the discs out. It's on my list of Pokémon DVDs and anime DVDs to look for around Christmas and my forthcoming 22nd birthday. Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll go look into taking on Korrina in my copy of Pokémon Y before film studies starts (my current roster is Tyrunt (Grimlock), Diggersby (Bugs), Gogoat (Billy), Pikachu (Pika), Charizard (Zuko), and Gredinja (Rash); and put on some Best Wishes. See you around!

Hey Dogasu, I have a question, what do you think of Ash's *cool speak* that he uses all the time now? For example:

O'course
And-a somethin'
'Kay
Ya see/Ya know
Big time

Along with others I'm forgetting.

So, it's taken me nine years to make my first post. I might as well make it count!

I have really enjoyed going through your comparisons for Diamond & Pearl. I do not care about the dub whatsoever and really care more so for your thoughts on the actual episode. I am not sure if that is discouraging, but I like to think of it in a positive light! :p I really loved reading your thoughts on the Shinji episodes, which are my favorites, because of your perspective as having watched everything related to the Satoshi projects. I stopped watching years ago and now only watch whatever episodes catch my eye, save with Pocket Monster XY which I have watched every episode of. I wish I had gotten off my butt and entered that contest you had a while back so I could choose a comparison, I would have definitely gone with one of or both of the Head Leader Yuuji episodes.

Yeah. Too bad the Kanto Blu-Ray turned out to be a crock. I was rather looking forward to watching some of my old favorites in HD. At least there's another release of the first Indigo League set. I watched my copy of the 2006 release so much I wore the discs out. It's on my list of Pokémon DVDs and anime DVDs to look for around Christmas and my forthcoming 22nd birthday. Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll go look into taking on Korrina in my copy of Pokémon Y before film studies starts (my current roster is Tyrunt (Grimlock), Diggersby (Bugs), Gogoat (Billy), Pikachu (Pika), Charizard (Zuko), and Gredinja (Rash); and put on some Best Wishes. See you around!

I actually would have like the kanto rerelease to exist. I'm sorta sad that my favorate pokemon series don't have recent releases and are out of print or dont even have a box set.

Of course this could have all been avoided if TPCI had simply kept his name Green instead of clinging onto a silly name change that took place over a decade and a half ago but apparently we're never ever going to move past that. And also Final Fantasy II is the game with Cecil and Kain, and the game series that Akira Toriyama did the character designs for is called Dragon Warrior, and name of the princess in the Super Mario games is Princess Toadstool. These are facts. Unmoveable, unchangeable facts. And they will remain that way forever.

Once again, Dogasu's ever flawless logic blows minds and crushes dreams!

Understandable for your month-long absence. The JLPT and work are much more important. :)

I never really liked Pocket Monsters: The Origin, but I'll still read these comparisons out of interest.

The common theory among Japanese fans is that the Sepultora name on the box art originally referenced Brazilian heavy metal band Sepultura.

Also, that light years line is actually not a straight quote from the game. It's based on it, sure, but unlike all the other game quotes in the special, the wording is notably different.

Great comparison, and great to see the website updated again.

Do we have a definitive answer as to the studio that TPCi used to dubbed Origins? It definitely wasn't DuArt, because the majority of the voice actors were West Coast-based VAs who'd never done a Pokemon dub before - and DuArt probably wouldn't have redubbed every Pokemon's cry (as they didn't in the B2W2 trailer).

I don't know. Most likely just filler words for the mouth flaps. The Japanese have their own words to fill when they think of what to say, so do we. How do you think we'd fill time talking about Pokémon, much less a 10-year-old puttering around massive cities and talking to other people? Still, it hasn't quite reached the proportions of say, dubbed Brawly or that faux-rapper character that sometimes shows up. Definitely not as big a thing as fellow Cartoon Network contemporaries Finn, Beast Boy, the bulk of the cast of Regular Show, or some of the street punks on Beware the Batman. Having said this; I can only wonder what TPCI will do if the Punk trainer class shows up later in XY The Series. I reckon it will. Even so, I can't imagine Ash reaching the level of Michelangelo of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. That happens, you get Jimmy in the dub of the Legend of Thunder.

Welcome back, Dogasu. I hope you did well on the JLPT. I thought Origins was a great special as well. Very distinct take on the franchise; using elements from all around to create a very unique look at Pokémon Red and Blue that recreates the feeling of playing the original games. I personally don't have a problem with the name change, as while Blue's design may be different, his characterization is as I remember it from my many hours of playing Pokémon Red and Blue (note: I never played Fire Red and Leaf Green. In those days, I could only afford so many games a year; and I had not yet grasped the concept of the video game remake.). And I agree that the bulk of the fansubs are terrible. We got into Backstroke of the West territory very frequently (my Japanese is limited to a few words and phrases learned from my books, one term of college-level Japanese class, and picking up a few words and phrases from the raws from context. However, I can at least count to three in Japanese, unlike the people who subbed the Cubone segment). However, I would like to point out a couple things I noticed in the comparison. You claimed that the lass does not say "you're light years from facing Brock", but that line is said in the dub; and by the male trainer (I watched that segment at least twice in order to write the script for my review on my YouTube channel). The "science is so amazing" line is in the games, and it does make sense to use it in the XY The Series dub. One last thing before I try my hand at the creative contests: I used many of those same reasons for my YouTube channel being scaled back in output (apart from logging lots of time into my copy of Pokémon Y). I thought Christmas vacation would help me get caught up, but I am going to be working on my projects (Pokémon-related ones included) as you are working on yours. See you around!

Thanks for your summary of the radio show episode! I have just one niggling question - what was the atmosphere like when they were saying the nice things about each other and Kojiro and Nyasu didn't really have anything nice to say about Musashi? Was it awkward or did it give the impression of gentle teasing? :p It would pain me to think I liked Musashi more than her team mates do...

Dogasu, I'm totally with you about the what may or may not happen in next year's movie :cheers:

Don't presume anything, people!

Remember: the movie division is just making stuff up as they go along.

The movie posters have never featured Pokémon unless they had some role. Even Palkia was relevant to Movie 11's prologue. Chances are that the twelve Mega Evolutions will at least make cameo appearances.

And I think chances are high that when February comes around they'll reveal that the Mega Evolution(s) who are going to appear in the movie are actually all new ones that none of us know about yet. Maybe a Mega Evolution of an XY pokemon, since none of those exist at the moment? And it'll probably be the pre-order bonus for the movie, with either Yveltal or Xerneas being the pokemon you get just for stepping foot inside the theater?
We know about all of the hidden Pokémon in XY's data. The only hidden Mega Evolutions are Mega Latias and Latios, and frankly, I don't see them being featured before the known Mega Evolutions. The unrevealed star of Movie 17 is probably Diancie, which may be related to the concept of Mega Evolution without actually having one, as it is probably related to the sundial in the games which is used for finding Mega Stones.

Having twelve Mega Evolutions in next year's movie would be insane. So would having two movies, similar to the aforementioned Victini movies, with six Mega Evolutions apiece.
Based on what? Both versions of Movie 14 showcased a whopping 62 Generation V Pokémon apiece (53 of which appeared in both movies in addition to each movie featuring 9 exclusive Pokémon). Granted, many of those Pokémon were background fodder, but they all appeared and a fair few stood out, as so could the twelve Mega Evolutions (and they would get decent screentime if they were split between two versions). It's pretty obvious that they won't have starring roles, but so what? The only problem is Mewtwo, which would be better off making a cameo appearance in the prologue or credits than having a forgettable role.

Last edited:
ii kanji said:
Thanks for your summary of the radio show episode! I have just one niggling question - what was the atmosphere like when they were saying the nice things about each other and Kojiro and Nyasu didn't really have anything nice to say about Musashi? Was it awkward or did it give the impression of gentle teasing? :p It would pain me to think I liked Musashi more than her team mates do...

It was gentle teasing. I tried to express that by being sure to mention that everyone laughed when they both hesitated but I guess that wasn't clear enough? I'll try to figure out a better way of getting that across and edit the write-up accordingly.

Always interesting reading these prediction comparisons :)

but Dent going to Jouto for a freaking fishing competition? Really!?

Can you say "overmilking"? ;) (ironically, I don't think he was popular enough to milk very much in the first place!)

An all-new Generation VI pokemon will be teased at the end of the Genosect movie, just like how Victini was teased at the end of the Zorro'ark one back in 2010.

Actually the movie in the end showed up Orotto in IIRC. It was in a trailer though and not meant for next year's movie.

I agree. What's more, they're not officially on YouTube, Hulu, iTunes, or Netflix either. Given the nature of the fandom, I can expect bandwidth demands and money to increase dramatically of that does happen.

It was gentle teasing. I tried to express that by being sure to mention that everyone laughed when they both hesitated but I guess that wasn't clear enough? I'll try to figure out a better way of getting that across and edit the write-up accordingly.
Thanks for the clarification! I await your article on the pilot episode with baited breath :p I was also wondering (on the presumption that you own/have listened to the Musashi edition of these CDs) was there anything noteworthy said in the interview tracks they added to that first CD? I can't seem to find any information on these anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom