• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

It also makes for a neat movie trivia years down the road.

"Hey man, did you know this famous Judo guy played a Pokemon in one of the movies?"
"Whoa, neato."

This year's movie should be pretty fun. Even regarding this whole business with the voice acting; I usually don't make too big a deal unless it's an egregious case (I compared the dub Ramos to everything from Boss Hogg to the hillbillies from Deliverance); and I am still watching the Japanese version for a frame of reference. I'm eager to get Hoopa once my 3DS comes back from repairs for the second time. As for the Pikachu short: I can expect it to be absent from the DVD special features and be put on Pokémon TV as an afterthought; as it has in the past. Overall; I expect to enjoy it in between Ultron, Jurassic World, Inside Out; Minions, Ant Man; and the Fantastic Four reboot; among other movies.

Should the movie news ever stop interfering, Dogasu has an interview translation in the pipeline with Iwane Masa'aki from a recent issue of Animage. :p Iwane Masa'aki is one of the regular action animators for the franchise and has himself key animated many entire episodes himself. Iwane did the key animator for the entirety of three of the last five episodes of Diamond & Pearl, so he definitely has some war stories to tell. He is also the only animator Episode Director Asada Yuuji works with anymore. Asada, of course, was credited as kantoku (director of the series) alongside Sutou Norihiko for Diamond & Pearl Episodes #171-191 . Asada also personally directed and storyboarded five of those last twenty episodes himself. I'm not sure how much the interview will touch up on those episodes, but even still the entirety of Iwane's career with the franchise is legendary in of itself.

Just found out about the Orange Islands DVD. The first user review on Amazon confirms this as well; and it sucks. I was wondering what happened when I was on Pokémon TV the other day; and now I have more incentive to hold on to my 2002 copy that I got at the flea market last year and seek out the 2008 set. Thanks for the heads-up, Dogasu; since this is probably going to rile as many people up as when Greedo shot first.

Just found out about the Orange Islands DVD. The first user review on Amazon confirms this as well; and it sucks. I was wondering what happened when I was on Pokémon TV the other day; and now I have more incentive to hold on to my 2002 copy that I got at the flea market last year and seek out the 2008 set. Thanks for the heads-up, Dogasu; since this is probably going to rile as many people up as when Greedo shot first.

I'll be buying the individual volumes on eBay and Amazon marketplace in the near future to have an actual "complete collection". Same for the Indigo League Jynx episodes. The Orange Islands re-release set is probably one of the worst cases yet against Viz's crap releases.

Yeah, it's already spreading with how people aren't happy about Viz "special edition-ing" the Jynx episodes out like this. Definitely holding on my 2002 copy and ordering the 2008 release because of this. Heck, that gap without so much as a dancing Clefairy gif is pretty flagrant false advertising for a so-called "complete collection." This does not bode well for the tentative Johto releases (if something happens to that; I'm sticking with watching the older eps on YouTube and other video streaming sites). That's generally more of a last resort than a first option; but if this new set bombs, hopefully they won't screw us over with something that deserves to rot in a Trubbish heap.

I don't think Viz "special editioned" the episodes. It's more likely that TPCi told Viz not to include the Jynx episodes on the DVDs due to the fact that they are nowhere to be found on the official Pokemon website either. Since Viz is merely the distributor of the DVDs, they probably don't have the power to decide which episodes to include or not.

I don't think Viz "special editioned" the episodes. It's more likely that TPCi told Viz not to include the Jynx episodes on the DVDs due to the fact that they are nowhere to be found on the official Pokemon website either. Since Viz is merely the distributor of the DVDs, they probably don't have the power to decide which episodes to include or not.
It is 100% TPCi who is telling them what to do I'd say and then Viz going and actually doing it.

Unfortunately, the kids these releases are for (along with their parents) DO. NOT. CARE. about technical specs and are unlikely unaware of the Jynx controversy to begin with.
Ya'll can complain about how crappy the recent box sets are all you want--I have issues with them meself (the first set Johto has had since, what, the early 00s, and watch it suck too)--but us longtime fans aren't what they have in mind at all... :-(

Remember: many consumers aren't concerned about technical specifications and just want to watch something period...

Last edited:
Just remember: the kids these releases are for (along with their parents) DO. NOT. CARE. about technical stats and are unlikely unaware of the Jynx controversy to begin with. Ya'll can complain about how crappy the recent box sets all you want--I have issues with them meself--but us longtime fans aren't what they have in mind at all...

One would think that is the case given the severe lack of releasing the series unedited with the original audio and unedited video.

I don't buy that argument. The Pokemon DVDs that fit that are the all stars ones - the random collection of episodes, totally out of order that relate to particular Pokemon, little kids see the Pokemon they like on the box and they get that one and can watch the episodes for just the Pokemon, ignoring the ongoing plot.

I'm not sure of the kids who are jumping up and down wanting to see the Orange Islands episodes. They either just want to see 'Pokemon' in general - in which case the XY releases would be just as good - or they are old enough to have an interest in following the ongoing plot, by which point you would start to notice whole episodes missing in the running order.

If they don't have longtime fans in mind - who exactly do they expect the audience to be for releases like this?

It's not the distributor's fault if TCPi have told them to remove the Jynx episodes - it is their fault for how shoddy the job they have done of achieving that removal, and to have the audacity to put "the complete collection" on the box after doing so. It's not like they didn't have enough time between releases.

Just remember: the kids these releases are for (along with their parents) DO. NOT. CARE. about technical stats and are unlikely unaware of the Jynx controversy to begin with. Ya'll can complain about how crappy the recent box sets all you want--I have issues with them meself--but us longtime fans aren't what they have in mind at all...

One would think that is the case given the severe lack of releasing the series unedited with the original audio and unedited video.
Unfortunately it is the truth, Pokemon is aimed at 7-12, right? I just made that demographic up but I'd assume that is around the age group they are catering to. Why would they care what a bunch of 18+ year old people think? We're just more money to them because TPCi knows that they can get it from us. Again, made that age group up based on my age...

I just want to know why the heck Viz never puts Johto Journeys and Johto League Champions on DVD. They've claimed they've planned in the past, but it never happens

I just want to know why the heck Viz never puts Johto Journeys and Johto League Champions on DVD. They've claimed they've planned in the past, but it never happens

They did get an initial release from 2000-2004 I believe. Johto Journeys must have started 2000-2001 and Champions 2002-2004 but they are both extremely rare and expensive online. A re-release is coming later this year according to Viz.

They did get an initial release from 2000-2004 I believe. Johto Journeys must have started 2000-2001 and Champions 2002-2004 but they are both extremely rare and expensive online. A re-release is coming later this year according to Viz.

I'll believe it when I see it [I've seen their "announcement" of the rerelease on Facebook, but I won't believe it until it actually happens]

I'm looking forward to Lugia Lundis! I prefer the second movie over the first, so I'm excited to learn something new about the film. :)

Is "Entei Enero" a possibility too? :p

Nice work on the Kanzenban write-up; Dogasu. Very glad you have stuff planned for the milestone of the Lugia movie; as it's clear we could use some levity after VizGate a few weeks ago. I'm also working on my on post for the 15th-odd anniversary of that movie as well; as it's my favorite of the original three. Now, back to training for the OR/AS Little Cup.

Really enjoyed your recaps of "It's Mr. Mime Time" and "Showdown and the Poké-Corral;" Dogasu. While the two may not be among my favorite episodes by any stretch; I do enjoy seeing them every so often. It's also all these little gaffes and goofy lines that make me glad the company that conceived them is now bankrupt. And I thought my jokes were bad. Well, good luck on the manga write-up.

2 episodes comparisons in 1 day! WOOT! :party:

Maybe a comparison for "Battle of the Badge" next? It would be rather appropriate ;-)

He already compared "Battle of the Badge," you can see it right here. Anyway, great job on the comparisons, Dogasu. All those script changes really do show that even 4Kids' "best" dub was still pretty bad in a lot of places. The Mewtwo manga really does sound interesting! Can't wait!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom