• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Is it common that Western Pokemon dubs are based on the Japanese version? The Dutch dub currently uses it for the dialogue scripts

Is it common that Western Pokemon dubs are based on the Japanese version? The Dutch dub currently uses it for the dialogue scripts

I don't think so, last I heard. But I'm pleased to see nothing very vitally important is currently being lost in any dub.

@Dogasu

I already said this in an email conversation with you, but just to catch this thread up on it, since they didn't see it...

As I have found some subbed Pokemon episodes, I've finally discovered what you've been talking about. Sure, Meowth's (or rather, Nyarth's) voice is still a deal-breaker, but at least there's a mute button. I do prefer the dub overall, despite its gaffes, but I can admit that it's worthwhile seeing the show's original form. It makes me feel the same kind of sense of discovery as reading the original fairy tale, novel, or myth Disney (or any studio) made a film out of.

And sure, I may have been rubbed the wrong way by that Diancie article of yours, but bygones are bygones. I look forward to seeing how Lugia Lundis will end.

By the way, how did Koffing/Dogars become your favorite Pokemon? I think I read the reason before, but I lost track of it. Also, have you ever seen the Nostalgia Critic's review of the first Pokemon Movie? It's an old video of his (circa 2008), and it's a review of the dub movie, but I think it's still a laugh-out-loud funny video, mostly for summing up the experience of those out of touch with Pokemon seeing that movie.

Last edited:

Just about all Pokemon dubs outside of Asia are based off the english dub. There might be some exceptions, but that seems to be the case for the most part.

Well...this doesn't bode well for the Movie Division...

Makes me concerned they'll screw around with Movie 19... :uhoh:

I'm not worried. The replacement music sounds good to me (in fact, I liked the dub soundtrack of the second movie better than the original Japanese soundtrack; in most other cases, the original music and the dub music is of equal quality as far as I'm concerned). As long as the actual plot and characters aren't changed, it's all good to me.

Last edited:
Basically, here are my views on anime dubbing.

My criteria:
- Story and characters aren't mangled up to the point of incomprehensibility.
- Characters, if they're changed at all, ought to retain their likability.

What I don't consider strikes against a dub:
- Music changes.
- Dialogue rewrites that don't interfere with plot.
- Name pronounciation changes.

What I think are worth laughing at:
- Nonsense paint edits.
- When a dialogue rewrite is a really bad joke, or even a good one.

Not trying to support 4Kids or anything, but I think most things you brought up on the 2nd Pikachu short was supposed to be deduced by logic.

I don't watch this one for a long time (being honest's my least favorite short), but I'll try to express my point (feel free to refute)
Not sure how logic works for kids nor if I was able to get everything that happened (I was only a first grader when this movie came out in my born country), but a good 90% of the children in the theaters were probably Pokemon fans (maybe hardcore since it was such a hit by the time) and supposedly they'd notice the missing seed from that Tamatama (I'd notice since the cracked one's the most different from all).
I don't really remember about the Togepi part but they probably couldn't get it back since there was still one Tamatama missing? They knew it wasn't Togepi? Really, can't remember, if they didn't then there's the logic that doesn't necessarily need a narrator.

I may've said something wrong or forget essential things, that's my thinking basing on Dogasu's text.

Not trying to support 4Kids or anything, but I think most things you brought up on the 2nd Pikachu short was supposed to be deduced by logic.

I don't watch this one for a long time (being honest's my least favorite short), but I'll try to express my point (feel free to refute)
Not sure how logic works for kids nor if I was able to get everything that happened (I was only a first grader when this movie came out in my born country), but a good 90% of the children in the theaters were probably Pokemon fans (maybe hardcore since it was such a hit by the time) and supposedly they'd notice the missing seed from that Tamatama (I'd notice since the cracked one's the most different from all).
I don't really remember about the Togepi part but they probably couldn't get it back since there was still one Tamatama missing? They knew it wasn't Togepi? Really, can't remember, if they didn't then there's the logic that doesn't necessarily need a narrator.

I may've said something wrong or forget essential things, that's my thinking basing on Dogasu's text.

I just got out of second grade when that short and its accompanying film came out in America, and I was able to follow everything. Personally, I think the way the dub had it was kind of like those any of those old Disney Silly Symphonies cartoons that had no narrator; the on-screen events speak for themselves. I almost wonder if that's what 4kids was going for.

I couldn't even remember it had't got a narrator actually xD Pikachu shorts're always my in low priority list everytime I watch the films, not very fond of them.

Also Movie 4 starred without the short in my born country... Not even sure if this particular one has even been dubbed in Portuguese. Plus debuting in 2005 on theaters there...

Four Johto comparisons? This will be a great read! If the Lizardon departure comparison you did few years ago is anything to go by, 4Kids rewrote that part of the series a lot.

Well, that'll sure be an interesting way to end Lugia Lundis. You might not enjoy those episodes, but who knows?

Got word that Dog decided to be a dingus and not credit me for his special movie day liners that I graciously suggested to him.

Here they are:

- Entei End-of-the-Week

- Suicune Sunday

- Lati Lundis

- Wishmaker Wednesday

- Deoxys Day

- Lucario Lundis

- Manaphy Monday

- Trilogy Tuesday

- Zoroark Zunday

- Flipside Friday

- Swordsman Sunday

- Mega Mewtwo Monday

- Diancie Day

- Hoopa Hoopla

Proof: https://twitter.com/PandasTeaRoom/status/614161075131564032

So if you see Mr. Wonderful using any of these during any of his next movie reviews, know that they were my ideas, not his.

Peace out.

Got word that Dog decided to be a dingus and not credit me for his special movie day liners that I graciously suggested to him.

So if you see Mr. Wonderful using any of these during any of his next movie reviews, know that they were my ideas, not his.

Peace out.

Um, it's highly likely he just forgot about them?

Here they are:

- Entei End-of-the-Week

- Suicune Sunday

- Lati Lundis

- Wishmaker Wednesday

- Deoxys Day

- Lucario Lundis

- Manaphy Monday

- Trilogy Tuesday

- Zoroark Zunday

- Flipside Friday

- Swordsman Sunday

- Mega Mewtwo Monday

- Diancie Day

- Hoopa Hoopla

Proof: https://twitter.com/PandasTeaRoom/status/614161075131564032

Peace out.

You could let him know in an email or on Twitter.

Wow, Dogasu's fandom has expanded so much that when fans criticise him, other fans come to his defence! :-D Congratulations Dogasu!!!! You have reached true celebrity status... Soon we'll all be tuning into Keeping Up with Dogasu :) :) :)

PS. Can't wait for your new comparisons
PPS. Can I get your autograph????!??!?!?!!

Wow, Dogasu's fandom has expanded so much that when fans criticise him, other fans come to his defence! :-D Congratulations Dogasu!!!! You have reached true celebrity status... Soon we'll all be tuning into Keeping Up with Dogasu :) :) :)

There are times I'm on his side, and times I'm not. I'm happy to have been a help.

MizuTaipu said:
I wonder if, since they have to chug out a new movie each summer, the quick turnaround prevents them from constructing the plot and action better?

No, I think it's much more a combination of too many cooks in the kitchen than any fatigue on the production staff's part.

KelvinV said:
Is it common that Western Pokemon dubs are based on the Japanese version?

For Pokemon, yes. For other shows, no.

Pokemon is unique in that, ever since Season One, The Pokemon Company has had the rights to the show in all non-Asian territories. Now places like South Korea deal directly with the Japanese version but every non-Asian country's dub is based on the English dub that's produced in the U.S. The Spanish dub is based on the English dub. The French dub is based on the English dub. The German dub is based on the English dub. Etc. etc.

The reasons for this are varied but they include "we want a tight control of the franchise's image overseas" to "it's easier to find, say, English -> Spanish translators than it is to find Japanese -> Spanish translators.

Ryu Taylor said:
how did Koffing/Dogars become your favorite Pokemon?

I basically though Dogas, as depicted in the TV series, had this weird cuteness about it that I found appealing. It's not a traditionally cute pokemon like Pikachu but its goofy facial expression and its ridiculous voice (in either language) are oddly charming. The fact that this happy-go-lucky pokemon then evolves into one of the most depressed looking abominations ever makes me love the un-evolved form even more.

Also, have you ever seen the Nostalgia Critic's review of the first Pokemon Movie?

Yes. Not my cup of tea.

PandasTeaRoom said:

What?

I haven't even announced what I'm going to call it yet.

And besides it's not like you're the only person to send me suggestions.

When would it have been appropriate to bring up yours or anybody else's name?

I honestly don't understand what there is to be upset about.

I was 6 when it came out in cinemas over here, I think I understood the basic story-line without the narration. (can really remember that well tbh). I did somehow misheard Lugia's name throughout the entire main movie though. :/

Back
Top Bottom