• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Except Digimon is dubbed by a completely different company, so therefore the fans may not watch anything done by 4Kids or even any other company that does it.

The heck of is is that Data Squad isn't the first season where they removed Japanese text...but it *is* the first season where they didn't put anything else in its place. There was an amusement park with an entirely blank sign, and a bakery with nothing out front. And the bakery was *especially* strange since it was said repeatedly that their specialty is manjuu, a Japanese pastry. So with all the Japanese stuff not only in the show, but in that episode specificially, the removal of text is incredibly bizarre.

Dogasu why are you working on ones that you've already completed? Why not finish off the ones that need to be done?

You're almsot done with Kanto. I just hope you finish it before you get dis-interested again.

In a previous update, Dogasu said he wanted to edit his old comparisons to coincide with his layout for the more recent episodes.

Pokemaster Justin...have you seen some of the older comparisons I did? Because...they all suck. Horrible plot summaries, amateurish fanboy ramblings, no pictures, sucky translations, etc.

(also...I don't have the third Indigo DVD box set yet)

Now that I'm older, (hopefully) somewhat more chilled out, able to make screencaps, and actually know Japanese, I think it's very much worth it to go through my old stuff and redo it.

As far as Blackjack's question goes...I guess because I'm being a vocal minority and therefore making it seem like more people care? You know how I tend to raise a stink about things more than other people when it comes to edits.

Didn't the Digimon dub once leave in Japanese text and then claim that it was some made-up Digimon language or something? Or am I horribly mis-remembering things?

You're misremembering things...probably. There *is* a made-up Digimon language, it's called Digicode. However, there may have been Japanese text called that at one point. I know there was a part where in the original Digitamamon would only take American dollars and all the kids had was yen, and this was for some reason changed to that he would only take "Digi-dollars". Either way, they were bailed out by Mimi's American friend Michael (who, yes, is *actually* American).

I noticed from watching the RAW episodes that 4Kids often had a problem with keeping the ending BGM in the earlier episodes..

The sad piano music wasn't heard until episode SEVEN but it was heard I think almost 4 times before that. Also a piece that we don't really hear is the ending music in episode 3 - we heard that at the begining a lot, and I remember it when Ash won against Pete n round 2 in the Indigo League.

While they did keep a LOT of music in Indigo, they really did replace a lot too if you watch the raw.

Also I noticed Dogasu in your Squirtle comparison that it was stupid for Squrtile to just go with Ash...

The Squirtles were ditched by their trainers, and then when Ash sacrificed himself so that the Squirtle wouldn't get hit by the bomb he realised that he would be a great trainer, and decided that he was a caring trainer and wanted to go with him. I didn't think it was that bad of an ending/reason to go with Ash.

Yeah...4Kids replaced quite a few pieces of BGM in Kanto. Not as much as they would end up replacing in seasons three onward, but there are still quite a few pieces that get axed for no real reason.

As far as the Zenigame go...its whole "wanting to go with Satoshi" thing just seemed really *off* to me. I mean, yeah, Satoshi jumped out and saved the leader from getting blasted by bombs. But that doesn't mean that it's logical for the thing to just up and leave its other abandoned friends so it can travel around the world with a human - especially when it was just threatening to kill one of its friends (sorry..."dye her hair") not too long before.

If the anime had shown more scenes of Zenigame being surprised / moved by Satoshi's actions, then it would have been a little less jarring. As it stands, though, the episode just reeks of "holy shit the episode's almost over and we forgot to have Satoshi capture it."

The next comparison will be up later tonight (my time).

Hi!

I read your comparison on "Mystery of the lighthouse", and I thought it was pretty good. In fact, I think Misty's line in the Japanese version was somewhat better than the dubbed version (not that I necessarily hated it, but you know... It was at least factually correct. Also, even though I don't like people berating other people, Ash DID deserve it, after all. I mean, he was going all "In your face" about his accomplishments, and you know, I really dislike bragging.)

One question though, Wasn't it Charmander and Sqirtle who actually followed ash and not Charmander and Bulbasaur?

also, off topic, but, did you find out if the second movie reference in "The Mystery is History" was in the original version or not? I had to ask since I hadn't gotten a PM in reply since i stated that it was in "The Mystery is history" in a reply to your question of what episode it was in.

You're right it was Charmander and Squirtle who followed Ash - Dogasu makes a flub, yet if this were 4Kids he would crucify them haha.

Another Error on the site I noticed is that you said that you had the comparison for "Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden", but it's Bulbasaur's Hidden Village.

I can't WAIT for the new Kanto comparisons...good job Dogasu. I remember on yoru old Mystery At The Light House you thought 4Kids made a Godzilla reference when they said "so size does matter" ...I don't think that was the case, glad it was removed.

Pokemaster Justin said:
You're right it was Charmander and Squirtle who followed Ash - Dogasu makes a flub, yet if this were 4Kids he would crucify them haha.

I'm a fan who does a website in his spare time. 4Kids is a professional company that got paid to work on the series.

Naturally, I'd expect more from a company whose job is to get this kind of thing right than I would from a simple fansite.

But yeah, I'll correct it in the next update.

Another Error on the site I noticed is that you said that you had the comparison for "Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden", but it's Bulbasaur's Hidden Village.

Well...the title's correct on the actual comparison page, though.

what makes Onasaka Masaya so special? Nobuyuki Hiyama, another extremely seasoned seiyuu, was just voicing Akira about six episodes earlier... hell, why even make a case over seasoned seiyuu when this is a series where Megumi Hayashibara and Miki Shin'ichirou (among others) are regulars?

And I gotta say, I'm surprised... not a single reference to the outright statement of "there are 150 Pokemon" under your thoughts for this episode. Though that white button on the Zukan makes me wonder how different the anime would be had they actually implemented the damn thing rather than letting a fair number of Satoshi's Pokemon rot until the league (a number which would only increase over the years, leading to all our favorite "neglected Pokemon" discussions). Considering it wasn't implemented, and doesn't even exist in the games ('cause otherwise it'd make them too damn easy by letting you switch your tired Pokemon for a healthy party at will), they really shouldn't have mentioned this white button in the first place.

Yamato-san said:
what makes Onasaka Masaya so special? Nobuyuki Hiyama, another extremely seasoned seiyuu, was just voicing Akira about six episodes earlier... hell, why even make a case over seasoned seiyuu when this is a series where Megumi Hayashibara and Miki Shin'ichirou (among others) are regulars?

Eh...it's just something that caught my attention when I was looking up Masaki's profile on Bulbapedia a few days ago. Had I done the same for Akira when I redid the Episode 008 comparison six months or however long ago it was, I probably would have mentioned his VA as well.

And I gotta say, I'm surprised... not a single reference to the outright statement of "there are 150 Pokemon" under your thoughts for this episode.

Well...the way Masaki's speech was worded (in both versions) told us that there were at least 150 pokemon. He also mentioned, in both versions, that there are many, many other pokemon out there that they don't know about.

At the same time...Masaki is a crazy guy who gets stuck in costumes, can't recognize the mysterious pokemon as a giant Kairyuu, and apparently knows about Myuutwo but doesn't bother say anything about it to any of his colleagues. I think the guy might have a few screws loose.

Though that white button on the Zukan makes me wonder how different the anime would be had they actually implemented the damn thing

I agree. When I rewatched the episode for the comparison, I was like "waitaminute...it can do that!?. Since when?" I can't be the only one who completely forgot about that abandoned plot device.

I think it's kind of funny, actually, that something like the white button on the Zukan is ignored but something as trivial as Hikari's Coin Toss keeps showing up again and again and again.

At the same time...Masaki is a crazy guy who gets stuck in costumes, can't recognize the mysterious pokemon as a giant Kairyuu, and apparently knows about Myuutwo but doesn't bother say anything about it to any of his colleagues. I think the guy might have a few screws loose.

The writer in me wants to force them to solve that. They had to have at least been *planning* the movie at that point...

Side note - i went and did some checkups in Polish dub... and it seems Jetix airing cut around 27 seconds of Squirtle "capture" episode's footage. Both scenes featuring guns (Team Rocket threatening people - 14 seconds - and later people pointing guns at Ash - 13 seconds) were cut. That doesn't cause any harm plot-wise making me wonder why 4kids didn't do that in the first place.

Last edited:
Dogasu's Sandshrew ep summary said:
One thing that probably went unnoticed by non-Japanese fans is a reference made to the classic series Kyojin no Hoshi. The basesball-themed show, which was first broadcast in Japan in 1968, is given a bit of an homage in the form of the suit that Akira makes his Sand wear. If you look below, the appearance (and function) of the suit that Sand wears is very similar to the one Hyuma wears in Kyojin no Hoshi:

I'm pretty sure that series didn't make that contraption up. Plus James is seen wearing one in flashback in a (much) later episode.

Not to go off topic of the current Kanto comparisons, but since this is a Dogasu's Backpack site thread, this would probably be the best place to bring it up. I recently picked up the first box set of Battle Frontier, and when I was watching "King and Queen for a Day!", I noticed that PUSA had replaced the vocal version of 'Gotta Dance' (with Maddie Blaustein singing) with an instrumental version. I also noticed that a lot of the commercial fade-ins were removed from the episodes as well. Just thought I'd mention that. :)

I agree. When I rewatched the episode for the comparison, I was like "waitaminute...it can do that!?. Since when?" I can't be the only one who completely forgot about that abandoned plot device.

I think it's kind of funny, actually, that something like the white button on the Zukan is ignored but something as trivial as Hikari's Coin Toss keeps showing up again and again and again.

First off, I'm a big fan of your site Dogasu. I visit it daily and you're a great writer. Second, is it just me or does Diamond and Pearl seem more like a remake of the Kanto episodes? I couldn't help but notice that some of the episodes are almost scene for scene remakes of early episodes. I don't know if it means they're running out of ideas or if it means they just want to improve what could have been better. Either way, it's getting a little annoying because I feel as if they're skipping out on a lot of original concepts in favor of doing what has already been done.

Back
Top Bottom